Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civilization 3 caused an error in (unknown)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization 3 caused an error in (unknown)

I launch the game i get this error message saying "Civilization 3 has caused an error in (unknown) Civilization 3 will now close if you continue to expierience problems, try restarting your computer" but clicking okay and pressing enter doesn't close it it just brings up another message after 50 or so error messages the game continues to load but then in the game it does the same thing. I cant even play. I think i have all the right specs and i downloaded the latest drivers for my cards i have direct x 9 so that shouldn't be the problem and i have not heard of anyone else with the same problem. Has this happened to anyone else and if so does anyone know how to fix it

Have you already tried the old good trick to reinstall the game and then patch it again?
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Hey you know what i dont think there is really an error its just that stupid error message that pops up is there anyway to turn the error message off. or anything because the game seems to run fine but everytime i move or do anything the message pops up and i have to press enter fifty times to get rid of it so it impossible to play a game. but if i could like i dont know turn error messages off i think it would work fine. Anyone know if and how you could do that

Comment

I have the same problem too ! I checked all the civ forums looking for this error and this thread is the only one I could find. Needless to say I coudn't fix this error...

So any help would be apreciated...

Comment

Have you reported it to Firaxis? What is the OS? If Win98SE did you get Direct X 9.0b?

When you say Civ III, do you mean the orignal as opposed to PTW or C3C? If apply 1.29F.

Comment

This particular crash is common to any program that has problems realted to dll and ocx components, and, therefore, doesnt't run.

It's very difficult to detect exactly what makes it crash - and that would be the hard way - running something like "In Control 5.0" when installing, detecting what libraries it uses and seeing if any of them can't overwrite the allready existing ones.

There could also be problems with your video cards drivers or with your directX installation.

If you run out of ideas, then you should do a clean Windows install, with just the bare minumum (sound and video drivers, service packs and directx). Civ deserves the effort !
            In the beginning, Earth was without form and void... then my life changed forever.

Comment

Multumesc de sfaturi, amice !

Pana la urma a venit un prieten pe la mine si mi l-a rezolvat. Nu ma intreba (edit: in ce fel) ca habar n-am...Oricum ceva legat de DLL-uri si versiuni ale lor...

Thanks for the advices, buddy !

A friend of mine came to me fixed it in the end. Don't ask me how 'cause I have no clue...Anyway was something about the DLLs and some diffrent versions of them...

Mikai

P.S. I had to change a common word in romanian (the word "how") 'cause the translation in english results in a word with explicit content...

Comment

I'm glad to hear it. I've read some more on this forum and noticed that there was a problem with the bink32.dll, used to play the intro movies (smk files). Probably that was it.

Ro: Ma bucur ca s-a rezolvat. M-am mai uitat pe forum si am vazut ca unii aveau probleme cu bink32.dll, un plug-in pentru fisirele video Smack (.smk), *** sunt cele din intro. Probabil ca asta era problema.
                In the beginning, Earth was without form and void... then my life changed forever.

Comment

De fapr, cei care reclama ca le lipseste bink32.dll (plus inca un dll pe care nu-l mai retin) sunt cei care au versiunea pirat si le-a fost atrasa atentia de catre moderatori (si pe civfanatics.com am vazut aceeasi chestie) ca nu vor primi nici un fel de ajutor.

Actually, the ones that claim to miss the bink32.dll (and another one I can't remember) are those who have a piratet version pf the game and the the moderators (here and on civfanatics.com I've seen this also) warned them they won't receive any help...

Mikai

Comment

You may not believe this but that's not entirely true. I got my copy from an electronics store (won't metion the name but it is a big chain of boutiques in North America.) And it didn't have the bink32.dll file, I had to return it and exchange it for another disk. So if that missing file means the disk is pirated, then there are stores out there selling illegal copies of the game. (possible but IMO unlikely)

Comment

Working...
                    X