Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the one wonder that causes you the most trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the one wonder that causes you the most trouble?

Sort of on the lines of BobSmurf42's poll in Strategy, I thought I'd throw this question out there, for fun - except not in that fancy poll format :

What's the one wonder which you don't build, but that you can't stand when someone else (AI, or human) builds it?

Myself, I dislike Great Library when the AI builds it - and I never build it myself (SP). There's nothing more annoying than the 'XXXXX acquire YYYYYY from the Great Library' message, after researching a new science.

Pyramids is a close second. Great Wall, I just laugh at.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Definitely the Great Library. Which is why I research knowledge of Universities as quickly as possible ...

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I love it when my key civ gets the Great Library.

UN gets my vote as the most aggravating AI wonder, especially under a representative government.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Re: What's the one wonder that causes you the most trouble?

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
        Myself, I dislike Great Library when the AI builds it - and I never build it myself (SP). There's nothing more annoying than the 'XXXXX acquire YYYYYY from the Great Library' message, after researching a new science.
        Modify the effect of the GL by giving tech to the Library owner (they will get it anyway) before you make gifts elsewhere. This will enhance your standing with the GL civ and may result in more tribute or presents if allied.

I dislike the Manhattan Project.

---------------------

SG(2)
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I also hate Manhattan Project but for the sake of diversity I will say Statue Of Libery. I don't change gov very offten so never really use the SOL's ability, But if the AI ges it they change Gov about every five turns.
          Wizards sixth rule:
          "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
          Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

Re: Re: What's the one wonder that causes you the most trouble?

Originally posted by Scouse Gits

Modify the effect of the GL by giving tech to the Library owner (they will get it anyway) before you make gifts elsewhere. This will enhance your standing with the GL civ and may result in more tribute or presents if allied.

I dislike the Manhattan Project.

---------------------

SG(2)
            If I have MPE, I often gift techs to the GL owner - just as you say, gifting them to someone else is effectively a gift to the librarian. And when you can see what everyone else is researching, you can gift those techs before the tech arrives 'naturally'. If I don't have MPE, though, I may not be able to find the GL civ! On gigamaps, that happens at times.

And yes... Manhattan generally makes any endgame messy. Although I've found a spotless rep can prevent nukings... sometimes

@Zedd - that's annoying too - particularly because the civ with the Statue will switch to Fundy and immediately become a lifelong pain in the ***... and Fundy cities are more expensive to bribe than Republican ones, I think.
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Darwin’s

I rarely play a game where Manhattan comes into play. I often build the GL, although lately, I’m building it less & aiming for faster Electricity more. With the Ai having the GL, it means that they are only six techs behind instead of twelve (I tend not to give techs out as often as the quick landers).

Occasionally I’ll miss out on a key SSC Wonder (such as CoL or Cope’s) due to a war, late start of a prime SSC location & attempting to cram in too many other wonders there (HG & Shake’s) -- so that is close to qualifying. I’m more upset at missing out than at the AI’s acquisition.

But for me it might be Darwin’s. I’m sort of neutral on this wonder -- the 1.1-1.99 extra techs cost 400 shields/8 camels and isn’t worth it if I have a decent boat chain/production/customer trade set-up in place. On the other hand, the Ai seems to nab this during those games where I’m too late getting going, have a couple of wars on the side & am not dealing as well with the raging hordes as I’d like. The techs chosen always seem to include Industrialization (that I was postponing to extend my KRC effects) & something else (maybe Commy as well, ending my MPE also too soon) then switching over to one or two other wonder races (WS & maybe UN), putting pressure on those wonders (which I also don’t place a high priority on, making those at risk as well).

Things are always darkest before they go completely black.
              Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Bad boy, building GL!
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I'm most frustrated by the GW when going for early conquest.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

From a different perspective i also Hate it whe the AI goes all out to try to beat you to the Light house.

They allready have unsinkable Tireems and the movement rate usually depends on where the AI want to go. In early conquest games you allmost need LH to keep up.
                    Wizards sixth rule:
                    "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                    Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

Leo's is irritating occasionally on the AI side as they get a boost of it, so you need to step up your own development as they get a free upgrade (okay, they lose veteran status, but an awkward civ can benefit from it). In the early game GW is indeed annoying, but after all Manhattan Project is a troublesome trigger, so it has to be #1 in annoyance.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Manhattans.

Also annoying is being beaten to colossus in an early landing game, usually when you try and get better science wonders first.

Comment

Definitely Manhattan's, should the game last that long. I hate nukes in the game.

If the game won't reach the modern age, it's annoying dealing with the Great Wall and those pesky forced peace treaties. Especially knowing you'll get sneak attacked in a turn or two, anyway.
                          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                          intelligence to few.

Comment

1. Great Library
                            2. Leonardo's Work Shop
                            My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

I find in a OCC, harder to get astronomy and Copernicus' Observatory than to the collossus.

Bronze working is a tech along the path to Trade, while Astronomy can take some time to research.

By then, one annoying civ always selects astronomy early on, forcing me to get Marco Polo's to catch up.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X