Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRAVDA SPECIAL EDITION #6 - 3rd June 2003 - A NEW CONSTITUTION !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole self-interest versus altruism debate, though an interesting one, ultimately becomes a moot point IMHO. The reasons for doing something don't matter so much as the end result. Besides, anything you do can somehow be traced back to self-interest, but it doesn't matter, and can't really be used to prove anything.
    To use Prime Function Drogue's example of giving to charity, why does it matter if you did it because it made you "feel good" to improve the lives of the less fortunate (as it should)? Your intention was to help the less fortunate (if it was solely to make yourself feel good, then you could have probably found some less expensive ways!), and if you yourself derived some benefit from that, all the better.

(Sorry if this post is a little disjointed, but I'm in a hurry).
    Comrade Corellion, Secretary of Science and Social Engineering for the Human Hive in the Alpha Centauri Police State Game (ACPSG).
    Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.

Comment

It would be a moot point on it's own, but it helps us to combat many things. If we admit that humans are selfish, and they do what they do because of their own perceived gain, then we can set up rules and regulations as such. It is very important with regards to game theory, and lets the government set things up so that what is in the interest of the individual is also in the interest of society.

But this isn't the time or the place. Obviously the CyCon have no need of such a system, being a perfectly rational society already
      Smile
      For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
      But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

(note: I'm very very tired right now, so this may make even less sense than it would otherwise, and it also wound up a lot longer)

Originally posted by Drogue
        Cedayon: But is not the reason that you want to do God's will because that is what you want to do.
        The basic question about any act I'm considering or doing is "Am I doing this for God, or for myself?". If I'm doing it for myself (or for anyone other than God) it is sin because I would be making an idol of myself (or whoever else). "for God" could be put as "for God's glory" or "because it's God's will" ... the point is that God is more important to me than I am.

Not only are their the everlasting benefits from an eternity in heaven, but because you believe that that is what is best for the world, and the reward of that "feel good" feeling. You don't have to choose, it is in your self-interest to accept God. If it wasn't, you would not do it.
        Part of what was so surprising to me was that I realized that God's glory/His will being done is more important to me than my eternal fate. The idea of someone with such a mindset going to hell is somewhat paradoxical, so in a sense I "don't have to choose", but I don't do things for the purpose of securing my eternal soul, I do them for God's glory (some things I do for neither, because I'm not perfect, but they are abberations that shall eventually stop rather than part of my nature).

As for the "feel good" feeling, that's the common (and often correct) argument... but I've found that basic sense of wanting whatever God wants (or wanting to know what that is, at least) to be there even in intense suffering, and often more strongly at those times (during some of which I assure you I felt anything but "good"). Paul puts it into words rather well before and in 2 Corinthians 12:10.

Take the example of giving to charity. If you give to charity, the feeling you get of doing a good deed, of helping someone who needs that help, is worth more to you than that money does. If it didn't, then you would not give to charity.
        Some who give to charity are motivated by that feeling, but not all.

From Maniac's:
        many sociologists would say altruism is just another form of self-interest
        Sociologists say lots of things ... there are definately cases where altruism is another form of self-interest, though. I put altruism in quotes in my original post because it wasn't really the word I was looking for but it was the best I could do at the time. I think "selflessness" might be more accurate, but I'm sure sociologists have beaten that one to death too.

the "at any cost" kinda scares me.
        "At any cost" as in even at the cost of my happiness, joy, life, eternal soul, existence, etc... (though, to my knowledge, He would not ask either of the latter two). An example of why this is important: Hezekiah, one of the kings of Judah, got rather ill at one point and God told him (through the prophet Isaiah) that his time had come to die. Hezekiah prayed that God let him live, and God gave him 15 more years. I'm sure Hezekiah thought this was just great at the time, but a number of terrible things happened later that would have been averted if Hezekiah had died when God said it was time (this is from 2 Kings 20 & 21). The point is that we should pray and hope for "God's will; nothing more; nothing less; nothing else; at any cost" ... I'm not sure that's the perfect way of putting it, but it seems accurate.

What is God's will according to you, and how did you get to know that will?
        I only know what He lets me know, of course, and I don't know the details of His will for everything (it's all for His glory, but that's rather broad) ... but as for knowing His will for me and what He wants me to do it's a rather simple matter of knowing His commandments (of which Matthew 22:37-40 is a good summary). "Simple" doesn't mean "easy", of course, but He takes care of it if we let Him.

I guess we both know each other's opinion about that from previous posts on the matter.
        I think we do, no need to debate anything. I obviously enjoy the topic and could go on about it until my Lord gets back, but this really isn't the best way and I do realize it makes most of you folks cringe.

/me looks back over the post at this point, looking for something to cut out because it's so huge... doesn't find anything appropriately non-essential.

Hmm, it'll just be long, then... and just a bit more:

Before God made me a Christian, I essentially felt that the point of my existence was my own enjoyment (or self-interest, if you prefer the term). This was somewhat problematic because I didn't actually enjoy existing (it's really quite a lot of trouble). My desire was thus to simply not be (not death, just simply not being in the first place, but impossible in any event). Living for myself seemed pointless, so I didn't do it very well, and living for another like myself was similarly pointless. Then God stepped in, and to make a long story short I now live for Him because that's what I was designed to do in the first place... and I think my coherency has officially left the building, so I'm stopping here

Comment

Wow Cedayon, you're really brave posting this.

Before God made me a Christian....
          Why hasn't he made me a Christian yet? I tryed hard enough between 14 and 21 years of age, but I didn't become one. I gave up, realising the whole thing was pointless, and I've been a lot happier since.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I believe in GooglieGod, for He is the master of all

However you will never find the CyCon succumbing to the belief of Fundy because we cannot
            Smile

Comment

Is anyone else amused by the fact that in a Demo Game, one team cannot take the Democratic SE choice? (You know we would if we could Really we would, everyone like to get +5 growth )

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

I've heard people who are happier after they become a Christian. I've heard people who are happier after they become a non-Christian. I guess a common point is that being happy is at least one of the goals that everybody is searching in their lives, right? Or being happy is one of the proofs that one is living his life well?

Anyway, on this note I think one would be perhaps happier not to think too deep. 'cause if you think deeper, this whole thing may be pointless. You live, you die. However you lived, you die anyway. Even if you don't die, you become one of the transcended like in the game, so what?

Like those ants who live in the two dimentional world. They live and die, busy with their lives. They may have their own happiness, troubleness, etc. One day a really smart ant may find out that he can go toward one direction and travel a long way and then come back to his original start point. And he realize that his universe is borderless but finite. They make discoveries, build improvements, fight and make peace. But there are so many things that they never understand, like how one ant suddenly disappeared from their world (May be a two-year old boy just picked it up). They could even climb up a tree and see a entirely different view of their world. But how could a two-dimentional ant, even the most intelligent one, understand the human beings who live in the three-dimentional world? If they do have thoughts, would they think we humans as their god? Who are all mighty, all knowing to their oh so fragile world?

Oh just think about it. We human beings are not that different from a three-dimentional ant. How could we possibly understand everything that is happening in a higher dimentional world? Seems to me that one needs to believe in something, anything. It is just so that you would feel safe. Oh us the poor three-dimentional ants.

Ok this entire post may be quite pointless also. But thinking does make me happier.
                Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

/me is a three dimensional ant *

-Jam

Comment

War of Ant?
                    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

HongHu: That was great You argued both Utilitarianism and "ignorance is bliss" in one quick sweep

Seems to me that one needs to believe in something, anything. It is just so that you would feel safe. Oh us the poor three-dimentional ants.
                      I completely agree with that.

Such a logical post, are you sure you chose the right faction to join
                      Smile

Comment

Sometimes you do feel the superiority of the CyCons, such as when TWO words within one sentence is beyond your limited English vocabulary … (No, I’m not gona tell you which two words. Not even which sentence. )

Originally posted by Drogue
                        Such a logical post, are you sure you chose the right faction to join
                        Believe it or not, I’m truly a close relative of Chairman Yang. But trust me, logic is valued at the Hive just as highly as efficiency. And it won’t matter anyway, when we finally meet and become pact brothers and sisters.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

And it won’t matter anyway, when we finally meet and become pact brothers and sisters.
                          /me also sends big LOVE to the CyCon

-Jam

Comment

Well it looks as though PRAVDA has become the pinnacle of free press and free speech. We have the best discussions after-all.
                            You can only curse me to eternal damnation for so long!

Comment

We have the only discussions Comrade Chairman

-Jam

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                                Wow Cedayon, you're really brave posting this.
                                It's not a bravery that comes from myself, but thanks anyway

Why hasn't he made me a Christian yet? I tryed hard enough between 14 and 21 years of age, but I didn't become one.
                                We cannot become Christians by our own effort, it can only happen by God's power (John 6:44, Luke 18:27). It's really not that complicated, though: If you honestly want to be in right relationship with God, just pray to Him and ask for it. The hard part is the "honestly want", and He takes care of that
                                As for "why not yet?": He has a very good reason, I assure you, but I don't know it off-hand. I could speculate, but this isn't the time or place.

I gave up, realising the whole thing was pointless, and I've been a lot happier since.
                                It's futile to try to do it without relying on God, but I wouldn't say pointless... obey His commandments (preferably out of love for Him rather than for your own good) and something good will come of it.
                                As for being happier after having given up: you were attempting the impossible for ~7 years, naturally you would feel some relief when you stopped. I tell you; however, that you will not find true "happiness" (I would use the term "fulfillment") unless you are in a right relationship with God.

From HongHu's:
                                I guess a common point is that being happy is at least one of the goals that everybody is searching in their lives, right?
                                I think we all want to be happy, yes, but I think pursuing happiness for it's own sake is pointless... I don't know if that's correct, now that I think about it, as I realize it was partly the pursuit of true happiness that led me to be so dissatisfied with the natural world and to seek God... but not all things we call "happiness" are worth pursuing.

Or being happy is one of the proofs that one is living his life well?
                                True happiness requires right living, but there are things we call happiness that do not always come from what is right, so answering "am I happy?" does not always answer "am I living right?". To put it plainly we can't even answer "is this best for me?". (Proverbs 16:25)

We human beings are not that different from a three-dimentional ant. How could we possibly understand everything that is happening in a higher dimentional world?
                                you grasp better than most the difficulty of understanding God and the Truth... as designed we could perceive reality clearly, but in our fallen state we are imperfect and unable to do so (1 Corinthians 13:12).

Well it looks as though PRAVDA has become the pinnacle of free press and free speech
                                Indeed, though there's an uncomfortably large number of Crimson Guards looking pointedly at me right now

Comment

Working...
                                X