Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 30, but feel like a kid again with RoN...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 30, but feel like a kid again with RoN...

This game amazes me and I can't count how many ways this game blows other RTS's out of the water. I should be doing my job. I'm at work, but I am reading RoN forums to get the latest info on strats and patch info.

Sorry for the meaningless thread, but does anyone else feel this way about a game?

I really haven't felt this way since Diablo 2 came out and before that Halflife.
    Knavery

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck."
    -- George Carlin

Well, I'm 32 and have played most games worth mentioning. With RoN, I'm thrilled that I've got a single-player RTS experience that offers a good challenge! I just don't have the time to go on-line to play anymore, so thank God (err, Brian?) that the SP AI in RoN got a lot of obvious attention.

Then, as you say, the tweaks to the RTS formula are outstanding. While the twitch-fingers among us might not appreciate the additions here, they are profound in their own ways and make the game much more fun.

I suppose the only 'criticism' I have here is that at the end of the day we are still talking about an RTS, which I've had my fill of lately. But that RoN even got me back into the RTS thing is a testament! I do hope, though, that the next game from BHG will *not* be in the lines of AoE, etc. Something like Colonization, etc., would be great!
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Wow. I'm 30. I'm at work. I should be doing my job. But I'm sitting here reading the forums instead. Hmmm. . . if everyone else is doing it, it must be ok?

And of course, I agree with Yin that an update to Colonization would be the ideal next project for BHG.
      Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Yeah me too (posting from work & 42)

Comment

Wow, all thirty-something (34 here) , not posting from work though
          -
          I just don't have the time to go on-line to play anymore, so thank God (err, Brian?)

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Totally. I havent been this impressed with many games. Half-life and the original zelda come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
              Wow, all thirty-something (34 here) , not posting from work though
              I'm 35 and posting from work. Why post from home when you can be playing RoN? Hmmm, now there's an idea -- install it on my work system....

Comment

As for me... I have stayed up long in the nights to play this game. This is the first RTS game about which I can say that - thus far, only Civ managed to keep me awake.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

you old farts. i still got a ferw months of teenagerdom left in me
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
                    you old farts. i still got a ferw months of teenagerdom left in me
                    Yes, sometimes that is so obvious

Comment

I am Dino-40 and feel exactly the same way, it's like a little switch in the head turned on. Perhaps it is a form of age "resonance" - Brian also is a mature player and with RoN IMHO the dev team revived the classic spirit of the originals that is not noticeable anymore in many current stream-line titles.

Unfortunately I have the feeling that (at last here in Germany) the game is too complex for many younger players, as I regularly hear complaints from this audience about having trouble to follow the game, for example to handle particular units in big fights.

Perhaps it would be a wise move to revive the good old CivII advisors to help those players a bit. I think it even would be fun for experienced players to have a general as battle advisor who even could lead the troops if you'd want to, or a governor as town advisor who even could manage the towns if you'd want to.

As this already must be in the game anyway via AI routines, it could be helpfull to be able to active this support via some interface buttons through levels:

Adivsors: Domestic, Military, Science
                      Levels: off - advise - acting
                      Level 0: off
                      Level 1: "Beloved King, do not forget about this:..."
                      Level 2: "Dear King, I will lead your troops to glory!"

It could help to have a possibility here to grant each advisor a certain share of resources to use. Example: if you grant your Military advisor a resource share of 30%, he takes this share from all your ressources for his own needs, so that the player has an own share left of 70%. This way you could split the BIG HUGE game into smaller parts handled by your advisors if you'd want to.
                      Kai · Team www.civilized.de

Comment

Hey, nice idea!
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Thirty-five and monitoring the forums at work. It is nice to see a few other RoNners out there similarly situated.

My productivity plummeted about three weeks before the game was released and has yet to recover. Unfortunately, I can't keep up on game developments, read other players' comments, play the game at night (using what I learned at work), take care of the rest of my life AND add my own voice to the dialogue here at Apolyton. So I, for the most part, anonymously read the posts.

The fact that other gamers manage to play the game enough to have intelligent insights, post those comments while at work, and remain gainfully employed (see Yin's major tomes) makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Comment

It's probably not your fault. You need to have a desk/cube arranged such that your monitor faces away from everyone else.
                            Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

That's not it-- I have walls and a door. The problem is that I always have things that need to be done, preferably yesterday. The documents in my in box won't throw themselves away.

Stupid time-hogging job.

Comment

Working...
                              X