X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one 'fessed up to voting for Eiffel? Dang Frogs
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

if you could only build or capture one wonder, thats easy...make your opponent build it, and you capture it. Doesn't matter which one...
      Where I've been

SAVE THE TREES...wipe your ass with an owl:)

Comment

Yes, Maximus just captured the Eiffel tower.

If it's a duel, anything but the GL.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

or eiffel tower..... or marco polos haha.....or united nations
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

A while back someone built marco on me in a duel after unsuccessfully trying to slip a few diplos in.

RAH
            Yes, pretty pathetic.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

really, the worst was someone building GL on me... i guess he was pissed i built suns, gw and mics all in one turn...haha

Comment

You would normally think that the person got stuck building it, but that would take some real stupidity.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think in gae versus 6 Computer-Civs Marco Polo is a good choice to get early a lot of money and technologies. I think it's more powerful then the Gardens and expires later.

Comment

but its real easy to make up for marcos.....i like it, and agree it can pay off in a big way, but HG is the cornerstone of any expanding empire....

Comment

As stated by many... In SP, you should be killing the AI soon enough... a fast start is what really counts. So I vote for HG. After 0 AD, you really don't need wonders to win.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Still , i have seen some poor maps in sp .....there are some challenges out there...but eventually it becomes a domino effect

Comment

Once I understood the game, even a poor map wasn't a challange. Come on, we can win with one city... how tough can it be. GO MP.
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ming - although I agree in principle - the final outcome is seldom in doubt in a SP game - that does not equate to boring or lacking in fun.
                            Yes we can win with a single city - but how long did it take us to manage this ...

SG[1]
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

True... it is never really in doubt anymore But I didn't say it was boring... just not much of a challange

I remember when people laughed about how IT COULDN'T BE DONE WITH ONE CITY... then I did it. And then Paul came along and blew it away

SP is an easy win... no matter what strategy or limitations you put on yourself.

Thank God for MP
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                                True... it is never really in doubt anymore But I didn't say it was boring... just not much of a challange

I remember when people laughed about how IT COULDN'T BE DONE WITH ONE CITY... then I did it. And then Paul came along and blew it away

SP is an easy win... no matter what strategy or limitations you put on yourself.

Thank God for MP
                                I was never able to win with Pauls menu in TOT ( ive heard the same is true for MGE). Ive heard it is possible to win OCC in MGE/TOT, but harder.

And im under the impression that a peaceful, perfectionist win with a few cities is harder than OCC (under non-mge/tot) Is that not the case?

Playing with TOT, and preferring peaceful perfectionist strat to destorying the AI early, and not using a lot of the gamier stuff (oedo years, shipchaining etc) and not knowing every strat, and not having a lot of patience for micromanagement, and occasionally being sloppy (hitting a wrong key or whatever) (which to me is analogous to real world command and control problems)
                                I still manage to find SP deity challenging.

Now i suppose if i played it constantly i would find even that easy. But frankly i found the whole enterprise somewhat boring before i got to that level of expertise.

I also played Scens, and the TOT games.

Since ive gone to other games, and am now playing SMAC.

I still think Civ2 is a landmark of strategy gaming - i am amazed at how much replayability there is in it, and how many things you can do with it.

But the notion that SP is simply an "easy win" is true only for a small minority of hard core civvers, who either have more intensity, more familiarity with strats due to fora like this, or who have spent more time with the game (or are very good strategists, i suppose).

I enjoyed civ2 for its unique approach to certain historical themes. Once the game reaches the point were it becomes completely abstract, where i lose site of the historical and political and grand strategic issues in a maze of gamey caravan rules, wonder beelines, micromanagement, etc the game is played out for me.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X