This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Read This Before Modding Your Files

Just so folks understand this - if you mod your data files you'll need to keep copies of the unmodded files for multiplayer play. If you join a multiplayer game with modded files your game will go out of sync when the custom data gets used. We'll add some protection features in a future patch to make sure you don't do this by accident. For now, just be sure not to try to play multiplayer with modded files or you'll end up sad.

And to anticipate a question - you CAN play muliplayer with modded files. It's just that all players in the game have to have the exact same data.

Hope that clears up some confusion.

Paul

One little thing... I wonder why didn't you guys provide some nice editor? You've been editing the files with XMLSpy, and it wouldn't be really hard to create an XML editor that is more user-friendly, and ready for RoN... and provide that in the retail box.

I am guessing that someone will go and code that one anyway, but just wondering.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yes, Tassadar's idea is excellent...although when you download you will simply have to take their word about what has been changed. I still like the idea though.

And yes, please read and show your support for this thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=86879

Comment

How do you use custom files with a scenario?

Comment

We didn't include an XML editor because there are already so many really good tools out there for this we would be duplicating work that didn't need to be done. Plus we're too busy working on RON.

Mod-file ditsro is something we've talked about around here for some time. Hard to say if we'll be able to include it or not in a patch. We'll just have to see what the future holds.

Comment

We didn't include an XML editor because there are already so many really good tools out there for this we would be duplicating work that didn't need to be done.

There are many tools, but this one could be RoN specific. This is to say, if you load unitrules.xml, you get an UI that actually shows different stats for units in cute user controls, flags as checkboxes, etc. Just pondering .
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
              We didn't include an XML editor because there are already so many really good tools out there for this we would be duplicating work that didn't need to be done.

There are many tools, but this one could be RoN specific. This is to say, if you load unitrules.xml, you get an UI that actually shows different stats for units in cute user controls, flags as checkboxes, etc. Just pondering .
              Yes, I'm totally for it.
              Eu nunca tenho algo criativo para escrever aqui...

See this? You've just wasted 5 precious seconds of your life reading it.

Comment

So where is this tool to mod RoN files? Guess I'll be waiting for RoN Flicster.

Comment

Originally posted by bhg_paul
                  We didn't include an XML editor because there are already so many really good tools out there for this we would be duplicating work that didn't need to be done. Plus we're too busy working on RON.

Mod-file ditsro is something we've talked about around here for some time. Hard to say if we'll be able to include it or not in a patch. We'll just have to see what the future holds.
                  Hi..

I assume that you are working at bighuge games.

I have some questions:

1) Will there be an expansion for RoN in the near future?

2) I have been looking at the unitrules, and i noticed that the jetfighter (F-16 ingame) are named F-16 in the unitrules, but jetfighter ingame. And the russian modern-age tank are named "tank" ingame, but T-34 in the unitrules. And there are several other units like that. How can that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Solver

that sounds cool,
                    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by The moses

1) Will there be an expansion for RoN in the near future?
                      Yes

It will be called Thrones and Patriots
                      Attached Files
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

Yes

It will be called Thrones and Patriots
                        Has anyone played this recently?

I am seriously considering this again.......
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Yes, I'm still playing this game. A lot.

I'm even starting to get the hand of the scripting language!
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Two years later, I am getting the hang of the scripting language too!
                            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

It appears that you can make mirrors of every file in the mod folder directory, with one exception that I've found so far. The "iface..." files cannot be redirected, and you must change the basic files. So make sure you make backups.
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X