How do I get rid of a mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get rid of a mouse

A few weeks ago my cat brought a live mouse in my house. The mouse escaped from the cat and is now living in some unknown location. All I do know is that it does it's buisness under the cooker which means that any time the cooker is used the worst smell ever is produced.

I've tried a few mouse traps but they appear to be bitterly futile and don't want to use poison as with no way of getting out the mouse will surely die inside and make an even worse smell.

So what do I do?? Other than move house I'm completly out of ideas.
    Are we having fun yet?

Stop feeding your cat.
    What?

Comment

The hardware store should sell box traps with one way doors for about 10$us. You put some peanut butter or cheese inside, and the mice wont resist going in and checking it out.

Caught 5 or 6 that way.
      "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Do you have ready access to liquid nitrogen and a microwave?
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I live in the country and we have armies of mice here, especially in the winter. I use conventional traps and hazelnut spread (nutella), that works very well. Don't lure them with cheese, most mice don't eat cheese, that's a legend. One way door box traps also work, but after it you have a living mouse in it, that somehow just moves the problem to her next host (might be you too).

Comment

You may be using the wrong bait for your mousetraps. I can remember hearing that peanut butter drives those hairy little rodents mad and they'll gladly snap their necks for a taste.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They love anything that's sweet. Kelloggs choco pops also work a charm.

Comment

I seem to recall a radio poll about mouse bait. Beef, tuna and peanut butter all listed on it. Cheese didn't.

I could be COMPLETELY wrong on the following but I seem to recall some research on ultra sonics having the desired effects on rodents. It'll probably scare your cat witless, so don't go that route.
                Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I vote peanut butter, and a new cat.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Use a window manager and software that's designed for mouseless operation.
                    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                      I seem to recall a radio poll about mouse bait. Beef, tuna and peanut butter all listed on it. Cheese didn't.

I could be COMPLETELY wrong on the following but I seem to recall some research on ultra sonics having the desired effects on rodents. It'll probably scare your cat witless, so don't go that route.
                      Consumer reports had an issue which discussed this not long ago. The finding was the ultra sound thingies worked well at preventing a mouse from choicing your house as a place to live put if the little guy had already set up shop then it most likely wouldn't make him move out. There are after all lots and lots of crawl ways in the average home where the sound level will be less. You also need one for every room or they will not be effective.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I vote peanut butter, and a new cat.
                        I'm not sure if that helps - To bring a mouse is a cat's way to show friendship ... it's surely disappointed that you didn't
                        eat the mouse immediately.
                        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                          Stop feeding your cat.
                          Bad idea.

A cat's hunting and feeding modules are separate (to use Fodor-speak). A well-fed cat will still hunt, but will hunt more agressively in a smaller area. Thus a well fed cat will keep an apartment vermin free.

Also, fox urine does a good job in scaring them off. A guy I know bought an old building that was infested with rats. Some strategically placed fox urine and the building empied out. The down side is, that the fox urine might freak out your cat.
                          - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                          - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                          - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

hmmmn cheers maybe I am just using the wrong bait. I have 2 traps one which scares me - it must have been designed by a pycho-pathic mouse hatter or something. Have been using cheese, bacon, ham, fat and chocolate to no success so will try peanut butter.
                            Are we having fun yet?

Comment

If you're not concerned with cruelty, glue traps work very well. Place them along the runners and in corners. Mice tend to stick to running along the wall. All they have to do is run across it, and they get stuck.

Of course, then you have to go through disposing of the live mouse you find stuck in the trap. You can't unstick them, so you have to put them out of their misery before throwing them out (at least you'd better unless you're really cruel).

Not for the squeamish, though.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X