Recommend me some good philosophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me some good philosophy

I want to read some philosophy books and want your opinions on which philosophers I should read. I know of Rand, Kant, Nietsche, and Sartre.

Can you give a brief explanation on what their core theories are/is?
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

all good, though i would skip rand If you like the matrix, read descarte. Also, philosophy is a very progressive thing. I would recommend you start earlier with some presocratics, particularly Epicurus, and the Atomists. It isn't heavy reading, and won't take you long. Then, you should spent atleast a brief amount of time on Socrates, Plato's "forms" and aristotle's Ethics. A lot of what is addressed by later philosophers specifically refers to these ideas, and you should have some understanding of them, atleast on a general level.
    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Rene Descartes is an interesting read, his "Dualist" ideas are interestign to say the least, they lend support to relgioius things.

to sum it up in a setence, "there exists something not of my body that is still me, and that is all i can prove exists".
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Descartes' Dualism probably stemmed from Plato, esp. "The Cave."
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Hmm... Bhuddism can give a few pointers, but I wouldn't recommend going totally Bhuddist. I don't think of it as a religion - there's no form of worship!

I like Thomas Aquinas and Merton... a bit old fashioned for some. heavily based on theology rather than philosophy.

Winston Churchill's books are a bit stodgy, and much more political than pure philosophy. But it does give a few pointers on progressive ideas.

I always found Nietsche unreadable. Clearly I'm not iup to that level yet. I'm not even sure I want to be!

And yes, the Greek classic philosopher's are still worth reading. It gives you a better appreciation of the later stuff.
          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Re: Recommend me some good philosophy

Originally posted by Frankychan
            I want to read some philosophy books and want your opinions on which philosophers I should read. I know of Rand, Kant, Nietsche, and Sartre.
            Kant is for Eurocoms. Read Hobbes

No, I´d recommend Kant, but (at least in German - don´t know English translations) it is the most difficult read I ever had (and I only read some things from him).

Reason is the central component of his philosophy. Reason, he says, (not interests or instict) "demands" (hm, not sure if that is explained correctly) certain behaviour. This is not realistic you might say, but Kant is an Idealist. His ideals are certainly worth to strive for
            Blah

Comment

I got a lot of use out of Habermas's Discourse Ethics, but I oughta warn you that his writing is incredibly dense. He uses these bizarre, nonsensical indexing systems in his writing, and I suspect that he does it just to make reading him all the more difficult.

I've been intending to read Sartre, but I've had that intention for the past two years -- it's difficult to find the time.
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                He uses these bizarre, nonsensical indexing systems in his writing, and I suspect that he does it just to make reading him all the more difficult.
                Must be a conspiracy of philosophers.

Habermas is a must for me for the future. Maybe they´ll have a course at the uni which is related to his works then I could take the chance and read him then, it´s better if you have some other guys around who struggle with the same stuff. If not, then I´ll read him just for me.
                Blah

Comment

His favorite tactic is to fool you into believing that he's using a basic heirarchical outline system, when in fact there's no heirarchy involved at all.

"Section I.A.1? Sure, makes sense, we'll start at the beginning!"
                  "Section I.A.2? Hooray, next section!"
                  "Section I.B.2? Wait just a minute..."
                  "Section II.C.2? **** off, Habermas."

Comment

I hope he uses footnotes longer than the text above too

Otherwise I´d be disappointed.
                    Blah

Comment

But of course! Wouldn't be much of a modern philosopher if half of his writing weren't footnotes...

Comment

Wutang!*
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        *here I use "Wutang!" as an expression of agreement, in contrast to the classic Old-Dirty-Bastardist school of Wutangism, where it is reserved for the wutangist children
                        Blah

Comment

what is ODBs clothing line called?
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Nietzche is all about the "Will to Power"

He feels that the moral way through life is to do whatever it takes to amass the most power for yourself and be the most advanced, powerful human possible. Do whatever you want, whenever you want, and don't let anyone else get in your way.

His is the philosophy of bullies and despots everywhere.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

try Hume's An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding for some good Empiricist epistemology and metaphysics, but my favorite still has to be the Chuangtzu which is the second most famous Taoist text...
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X