Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping News, Issue#2

Shipping News, Issue #2

Seraph's Log, 2102. .....whatever the hell day it is, these short Chironian days are messing with me head...:

Well now that the ordeal adventure is settling into a more or less orderly exploration, well as orderly as can be expected from this motley lot, eh? I figure I should write my own version of it, considerin' Morgan's not around to turn it into a holo-of-the-week...I'll miss their l3wt fine-crafted goods, but not that shlock they called Morgan Holovision....I'm gettin' off topic again..Right the landing. Now I don't have t'tell ye, the seas can be pretty nasty when Neptune gets his back up about somethin' but after that ride down....let's just say I'll be treating any future pilots we get -real- nicely. 'Specially after seeing the fireworks show two pods colliding made *shiver* Bless the poor souls, to have come all this way, only to become the beginnings of a ring around Chiron...a sad day *raises a shot of tequila to the lost*

Well things got better after the waves from our landing splash died down (and that landlubber of a navigator stopped being sea-sick..) We were lucky enough to land in a nice stretch of middlin' deep ocean, though there was nary anythin' else to be seen nearby. I transferred over to the flagship where we all met in th' chartroom and Cap'n John laid out his plan for ship movements. The shallow water to the east turned out t'be a small archipelago, unfortunately half covered with that damn pink fungus (don't get me started about all the trouble we've had sailing through that garbage - kelp beds will seem a breeze after that....bilge..) One bright side is it had a very interestin' monolith perched on th' end of one isle - I was right all along, we aren't alone in the universe! Tho whomever left this was long gone...anyhow, after the obvious gawking got done, the fleet fanned out to discover a few more scraggly isles poking out of th' sea, thankfully minus the pink fluff. We were also happy to discover a patch of nutrient rich waters; 'twill be great for kelp and out fish stocks, maybe with the land near I can get some rice & soybeans goin' and get us some sushi for variety. Fish and kelp soup gets old after a while... Note to self: don't foget to look for an arid area for the agave plants! I'm gonna run low on Cuervo eventually... We also found a mineral outcropping on a small isle, now at least we can build some more ships at a decent rate once we get a base started in that area.

Could be better, could be worse....at least we're not orbiting Chiron...and on that note, I think I'll sign off and go rustle up some limes and ice and maybe that cute bosun to go with this tequila...

*end log*

=============================================

Aquaculture & Landlubbers : Yes you can be friends!

Now I know the lot of you are thinking "But how can Aquaculture be of any help to me? We don't even have Foils -or- knowledge of Centauri Ecology yet!" You can rest your worries right here, mate - even with what floats you can jury-rig together, the Chironian seas can still help you; our techniques were developed on Earth, but still apply to this strange new world. Most shallow shelves like you lot have on your shores harbour the perfect beds for raising some of the fish stocks brought down from the Unity - salmon for example can be dispersed on a shelf with access to a river; halibut closer out to the deeper shelf edge waters. The shallowest shore waters should be plenty deep for crabs, lobsters and all sorts of shellfish such as clams; if you're lucky enough to have a large lake or small land-locked sea, just about any type of fish that used to be farmed on Earth can be released to run wild in them. And trust an amatuer gourmet - free ranging your fish stick really will improve the flavor; no need for that processed 'fish sticks' of yore! When foils become available to ye, the sea can also provide those 'daily essentials' the nutritionists harp on - in the form of kelp! Now I'll grant ye, even the most die-hard old hands can get tired of it; but with the ample farms land-based faction can harness, kelp can be just an occasional nautical flare to your meals or even dried ground and mixed into your daily bread for added nutrition. Just check your datalinks for Japanese cuisine if you don;t believe kelp can be a nutritious as well as tasty and elegant addition you your meals. You can even conserve energy by having sushimi or sushi; little or no cooking required - just fresh ingredients and a sharp knife! Speaking of energy even the modest sized tidal harnesses than can be built close to shore can add a few minicred to your energy intake and over time that will really add up. Just take precaution not to do your early harnesses & fish farms too close to each other - a school can damage the delicate harness fins too easily

Good luck out there!

Brought to you by the PEACE council for Aqua Promotion. Need help putting these ideas to work? Simply send us a databurst and enclose 5 microcred to cover transmission costs, and we will send you blueprints of the same rigs we're using -right now- at our very own bases!

==============================================

*end databurst*
    Last edited by Makahlua; May 19, 2003, 07:58.
    But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
    PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Nice picture, what did you use? The Hive Citizens will cut this out and paste in on their walls to block up the holes in the shoddy construction to look at every day.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

PSP 7 - a little bit of spraycan to smooth things, then the 'Contours' filter + I had made transparent 'cutouts of map features.. Drat. I just realized I meant to put some fancy text on that too Humm and actually I wanted to do something MWIA did with the C3DG map, but I forgot. Easy to fix!

Edit : as quick and easy as that
      Last edited by Makahlua; May 19, 2003, 07:59.
      But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Comment

you should try doing one of those old maps where theres monsters on it and the continents are all wacky and mishapened. i love those
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Oh they'll find the SeaLurks soon enough ................

G.

Comment

YAY!
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Shockingly I managed to capture one the other day - but it got chewed up by an IoD

Comment

Interestingly, when I hid some demon boil Sealurks the graphics significantly overlapped the tile. And as each tile is some 250 kilometers long (*) it'd make Nessie look like an ant to an elephant

* large map is 96 tiles latitudinally, and Chiron has a circumference of (very approximately) 25,000 kms

Comment

So it's considerably smaller than Earth, no wonder the dolphins can jump over the mainmast; I think one of them is trying to land in the crow's nest.

Hmmm, I guess those HUGE WAVES I saw last night on the graveyard watch didn't come out of the bottle after all.
                  Last edited by johndmuller; May 19, 2003, 15:45.

Comment

Admit it, you just wanted to play with fonts when you did that

Demon Boil Sealurks Herc and co, I really fear for you
                    Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Admit it, you just wanted to play with fonts when you did that
                      Nevertheless, nice effect!
                      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Very true
                        Smile
                        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

This is the best graphics news so far, with the map and the waves and Drug's Avatar

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Hmm - it's radius is 1.18 x that of earth (7540 kms vs. 6380 kms for Earth). I thought that gave it a circ of around 25,000kms. Maybe my math is wrong

(p 217 of the handbook has an Earth/Chiron comparison table)

G.

Comment

You forgot the *2. The formula is 2*Pi*r. That would be 7540*3.14*7540=...
                              /me uses his cybernetic implant...
                              =47375.21722 kilometers
                              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
                              X