Would this be interesting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be interesting?

As I toyed with ideas for my Irish monks scenario, I've had an idea for something... odd.
    I thought about a surrealistic underworld scenario, adressing such very human things as insanity, lunacy and death. It would be a fantasy-type scenario taking place in a world between this one and the afterlife, in which the poorest of souls, those who couldn't afford paying Charon, would be stranded. They built up their empire over several millennia, but now it has grown so big, that it threatens both this world, and that of afterlife. Now, the souls of this world and the next have to ally and fight this empire; invasion forces however will find that nothing here is what it seems to be, and they cannot rely on anything, least of all their senses.

This would be a just for fun scenario, which doesn't mean to be taken seriously. But if it would be, it would go beyond the capabilities of a single human mind.

I'd put in a lot of atmospheric stuff to make this appear really insane. But since this is a lot of work, I figured I'd ask first before starting this.

So, is anyone interested in such a thing?

Warning: You'd have to be a Pink Floyd fan to completely appreciate this scenario though.
    Yes, this poll is entirely pointless.
    40.00%
    No, this poll is very useful.
    60.00%

The poll is expired.

Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

How would you set up the world? Would it be a left to right world map, with the "purgatory" empire being in the middle?

Comment

I like the Idea, and I think that it could be a very fun scen, altough I'm not a Pink Floyd fan
      Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Yes, I would be very interested in this scenario. The scenario on which I've been working started out as something very similar to this, in terms of the psychological aspect. However, I didn't know how to implement the ideas, so I severely cut down on what I had planned on doing. Seeing as you're a veteran designer, you'd surely be able to do much more than I could. If you decide to do this, I'll definitely look for it.

I'm not a Pink Floyd fan, though
        "The self is a relation that relates itself to itself, or is the relation's relating itself to itself in the relation; the self is not the relation but is the relation relating itself to itself." -Kierkegaard, at one of his less lucid moments

Tremolando shows rage! Sforzando shows excitement! C Minor means gravity!–D Minor means terror!...Round and round like donkeys at a grindstone! -Amadeus

Comment

The idea sounds fresh and exciting! But are you still going to finish the settler monks scenario?
          Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
          Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

How would you set up the world? Would it be a left to right world map, with the "purgatory" empire being in the
            middle?

No, I thought of something underworld-like. I'm not quite sure, but it will propably be some bizarre structurized map, propably based around the myth of the river Styx.

Yes, I would be very interested in this scenario. The scenario on which I've been working started out as something
            very similar to this, in terms of the psychological aspect. However, I didn't know how to implement the ideas, so I
            severely cut down on what I had planned on doing. Seeing as you're a veteran designer, you'd surely be able to do
            much more than I could. If you decide to do this, I'll definitely look for it.

I am always open for suggestions and ideas, so if you have any...

I don´t know, I kinda prefer the historical ones

I understand, I'm not so much a fantasy fan myself, but after five years of making historical scenarios, I just want something else...

The idea sounds fresh and exciting! But are you still going to finish the settler monks scenario?

Yes, the scenario is in the works.

I like the Idea, and I think that it could be a very fun scen, altough I'm not a Pink Floyd fan

I'm not a Pink Floyd fan, though

I knew there'd be a disturbance in the force
            Follow the masses!

Comment

I think Pink

But do whatever you want to do. It's your interest that has to prevail here. If you like the idea, go ahead with it. I am sure there will be many people who'll play the scen and enjoy it. Your name will be behind it and that in itself warrants a succesful outcome

Comment

I didn't know the River Styx was in Persia!

It does sound interesting. I suspect the artwork will be very important.

And I love the pre-Wall PF stuff!
                Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, but I don't understand.

BTW, greatest moment in the history of music is David Gilmour's live solo for Comfortably Numb at the Pulse concert. SPLOOSH!
                  Re-elect Bush!

Comment

Sounds like a really cool idea, Stefan.

This would be a good scenario for ToT. But barring that, it could be done for FW.

You could use MapEdit to expand the size of the small standard world map. Then add in limbo (purgatory) and the afterworld. Have them divided by mountains. Replace the mountain graphics with the cloud graphics from ToT. Cover them with invisible barbarian units to prevent passage through or something.

And yes, Pink Floyd rulez. DSOTM the Scenario.

Comment

If you're still reading this thread, Stefan, it sounds like a neat idea. I also like to dabble in the odd non-historical scenario, though all of mine on the forum are historical (you may remember my Mid East one you thoroughly commented on). Since this response is more than a month since the last one, you may already be done or have quit the idea. If you are done, or finish soon, write a post telling me where to find it.

By the way, I looked at some of your ancient Persia scenarios. They were incredibly well done, though fighting wild goats did seem a bit of an odd twist. I plan to soon download some of the Medieval ones.

Comment

If you're still reading this thread, Stefan, it sounds like a neat idea. I also like to dabble in the odd non-historical
                        scenario, though all of mine on the forum are historical (you may remember my Mid East one you thoroughly
                        commented on). Since this response is more than a month since the last one, you may already be done or have quit
                        the idea. If you are done, or finish soon, write a post telling me where to find it.
                        It's still in the works, though some additional input would be appreciated.
                        I'm still trying to sort out the ideas, I seem to get new ones every day.

By the way, I looked at some of your ancient Persia scenarios. They were incredibly well done, though fighting wild
                        goats did seem a bit of an odd twist. I plan to soon download some of the Medieval ones.
                        Thank you, I'm glad you liked them
                        Which scenarios in particular except for "The Iranians") have you downloaded so far?

BTW, sorry I didn't reply until now. Thanks for all your comments (and yes, MagyarCrusader, the "Comfortably Numb" solo on the Pulse album is indeed their finest moment, maybe beside the solo from the studio version of "Time")
                        Follow the masses!

Comment

Sorry about the delay in this response. I've looked at the one about Darius and the one about Alexander, both of which are in the 'Quest for Asia' series. I'm going to download a bunch more now that I've switched from dial-up to high speed internet. As for inspiration for your deathlands scenario, try taking a look at the tabletop roleplaying game 'Wraith: the Oblivion' by White Wolf Publishing. It has a well-developed Land of the Restless Dead and many plot seeds. I admit it caters mostly to Gothic types, and you may have to special order it in parts of Europe, though it is a facinating read.

Comment

Working...
                          X