Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does high fiber food go through your system faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does high fiber food go through your system faster?

I'd always thought that food takes approximately 20 hours to go from your mouth to your poop chute regardless of its type (unless it gets stuck in your colon or whatever), but I've noticed that I seem to feel the effects of high fiber foods more quickly (ex. prunes, dried apricots, tree bark, etc.). What the dillio?
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Perhaps they stimulate the digestive system in some way.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

same goes for watermellon, the seeds I swallow wash right through...
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I was told I'd grow plants if I ate seeds!
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Tree bark? You eat tree bark loin?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Sava! That's it! I must have a walnut tree growing in my ass! Thanks ...
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The other day I came home from campus hungry, and the only things we had to snack on were dried apricots. I ate prodigious quantities, and found myself reading our "bathroom book" in very short order. Could be a coincidence, I suppose, but there it is.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                Tree bark? You eat tree bark loin?
                Nah, that's just the highest-fiber food that came to mind offhand.

Where're the resident doctors at, dammit? My curiosity's been piqued, but damned if I'm going to google for "explosive diarrhea"...

Comment

Re: Does high fiber food go through your system faster?

Originally posted by loinburger
                  I'd always thought that food takes approximately 20 hours to go from your mouth to your poop chute regardless of its type (unless it gets stuck in your colon or whatever), but I've noticed that I seem to feel the effects of high fiber foods more quickly (ex. prunes, dried apricots, tree bark, etc.). What the dillio?
                  Like grain through a goose.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Dont write it in stone, I'm not a gastroenterologist, but I dont think fibrous foods will go through faster. But, someone with a high fiber diet should have less constipation so things might seem faster. The effects of fruits like prunes is not from the fiber itself but from natural laxatives in the prunes. Massive fiber intake can also have a laxative effect since it can cause gas and irritation which can stimulate nerves in the gut and trigger fluid release into the colon.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Ah, that kinda makes sense. The thing is that I don't have a high fiber diet (I eat spaghetti for breakfast and rice for dinner pretty much seven days a week, except for the days I have rice for breakfast and spaghetti for dinner), I just occasionally go to the store and say "Hey, prunes, I like prunes," and then go home and eat the whole thing of prunes (because I always forget what happened last time), and then I typically feel the effects within an hour or two. So it wouldn't have been the prunes I'd eaten the day before that were just now making their presence known, since I hadn't eaten any the day before, or two days before, etc. But if they act as laxatives (and not just pipe-cleaners) then I s'pose that would explain why they affect me like they do.

Comment

The laxative effects of prunes have been known for years, its why the stereotype of the elderly eating prunes exists. Fresh coconut milk works too.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Manitol and sorbitol in the prunes are laxitives. They ar common sweetners in 'surgarless' gum.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                          X