No announcement yet.

Comments on "Joe"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More, more. Just kidding, take all the time you need. It is well worth the wait. Merry Christmas.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Yes, thank you for this Christmas treat.

Comment

Okay everybody! I've posted more of the story... but this time, I've got Writer's Nymphomania. (Opposite of Writer's Block.)

Yessiree; head over to the story thread - here - and indulge yourself in the sheer sensual hedonism of not one, not twelve, but two new posts on the story!

It must be Christmas. Allie Cove has written three new episodes in as many days? Forget Christmas... this has got to be the "Judgement Day"!

(Apologies for the awful pun. But if you shoot me now you'll never get to read the end !)

Sensible author notes

1. "Climactic Research Center", the name of a University base, has been changed to "Climatic Research Center". The reasoning behind this should be obvious.

2. The events described in the three postings of Episode Eight vaguely correspond with my first piece of fiction on this site - here. The narrator of that story is the female being tortured by Agent Hu in Part 8a). Her cronies are indeed waiting for him at the magtube station, although Provost Zakharov is no longer at the station to renew a treaty.

3. Mao, the name of Agent Hu's female companion, is not to be mistaken for the Mao of the Chinese Revolutionary leader, Mao ZeDong. Pinyin wise, the fictional character's name is the same as "cat", pronounced in the first tone, whereas Mao ZeDong's "Mao" is pronounced in the second tone, identically to "feather". This character closely resembles the real-world girlfriend of my housemate, HMB, especially in the way she sneezes.
        [This message has been edited by Alinestra Covelia (edited December 22, 2000).]
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Anybody looking for an easy spam accusation - look no further.

I posted three very large follow-on episodes to Joe in a very short space of time (for me, anyway) and thought I would post a further update here just in case people missed one or both the previous ones. Plus it makes some space between my story thread last post and the comments thread last post, which is always nice. Sometimes you have to keep the parent thread and the child thread apart just to avoid inbreeding, you know what I mean?
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Does anyone know if she's still alive or anything? I mean, I'm all for keeping your readers in suspense and everything but isn't this going too far?

Comment

Yeah I wondered what happened. I guess the inspiration nees time. May have to go back and read the first part of the story to remember what has happened. All of these stories are beginning to run together. But good things come to those who wait.
              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Just cruised on by and saw this thread bumped.

Okay, a bit of explanation - my final year in college sort of snuck up on me without me knowing, and like an H R Giger Alien, neatly scared the life out of me when I realized.

So, I will try to get more of the story done (I'd actually done another chapter but then thought it was bad and am rewriting it), but if I'm really slow then please be understanding. Not only have I got a fair bit of assessed lengthy work to do for my course, but there's also increasing pressure from home for me to become self-supporting in terms of finance. (In more honest terms, to stop sponging off my parents! )

So yeah - sorry for the big wait, and please understand that I am very involved and enthusiastic about this story too... I just don't have a lot of time on my hands.

I'll try my best to update more punctually (since I have ideas and plans) so stay tuned. Thanks for still waiting, by the way. A lot of people I know wouldn't even bother hanging around.

[Alternatively if any of you have any contacts in publishing and/or journalism in US or UK and could give me a reference, then my job problems will be solved and I could update much faster! ]
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Well... AFTER this term right??? (Maybe I'm just being selfish... I dunno.)

Comment

I have finished sitting all my Finals exams, and have now technically completed my Bachelor's degree (with Honors) in English Literature at Durham University.

Hurrah etc.

I have also posted up another episode of the story. Given that I now have about a month of nothing more strenuous to do than maybe learn how to drive on the wrong side of the road, I might do more of the story.

The five-month hiatus has also given me a few ideas as to where the story will go from here.

Hope you like it!
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Glad to see this is still alive and going strong. I always am excited when there are new posts and they always live up to my expectations Keep up the amazing work and thanks for keeping me informed

Your loyal reader,

Argo
                      -Argo

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."

Comment

Joe

hey Alinestra

i read this story a full year an a half after the last post so excuse me for being a little late not wanting to be any later i havent yet read the previous posts.

i have to say however- so far i'm reaqlly into this story, well done- bravo!

i was late into work this morning becous of a printout (or should i say "Wad" of your work that i find it difficult to put down. i like the way your rendition of the SMAC world is alot more worldly. Every charachter is not a faction leader, cannot remember earth, and you really get a feel for being immersed in the Chiron world. puts me in mind off Iain M.Banks "Against a Dark Background". the factions come across as Nations, i loved the UN beurocracy discussed around that Gaian diplomat- could have been issues discussed straight outta CNN or BBC 24, and thats how i like it. (not a bunch of Dungeons&Dragons-esque personallity cults lining up against eachother- >said in grumbly voice<)

you even managed to make the Hackers come other as a credible faction, i always thought it silly to try an have a nation founded on some hackers who like to hack. Where's the Political Ethos! well... i see it now. kinda. thanks.

haven't seen any front-line action yet- which i'd like to see. (so far i'm at the part after Hu is with the University after the border incident).

this is the kindaa SMAC story i've wanted to write for a while, now i just might, hopefully the SMAX fiction scene is still alive.

anyway- well done. Your number one fan.
                        >fixated stare of man who luckily does not live in a snow-bound cabin and has no nursing background whatsoever<
                        Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

Splendid!

Thanks for coming back to this, and keeping us informed about the latest on Chiron. As usual, fantastic job in capturing the mentality in the societies described in your work.

And congratulations on your graduation.

Comment

In yet another display of literary projectile vomitting, Alinestra Covelia proudly presents not one, not twelve, but TWO new posts! This is the direct result of extraordinary planning, and to be honest the fact that the new format won't allow posts over a certain size!

Hope you like it! Remember that the newest post begins with the second to last post, not the last post. I would provide a link but I'm not sure how the target/anchor HTML works in this newfangled forum design. If anybody knows give me a shout and I'll post update links to the relevant bits of the fiction story.

Right. Time for bed and dreaming. Goodnight all!
                            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I just read it and... I am so blown away by the story. I honestly can't believe how good it is. Maybe I'm being too liberal with my comments but your writing is so authentic and so true to the story behind the game... I really REALLY hope you see this story through to the end!

Comment

He's right you know, I agree.

I finnished the last lot you wrote.
                                I want more.
                                type faster.

ps. have you had stuff published?
                                Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

Working...
                                X