Creationists take heed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creationists take heed

I was looking for something unrelated, and this bit of information is a bit old, but it is very interesting:

Second law of thermodynamics "broken"

One of the most fundamental rules of physics, the second law of thermodynamics, has for the first time been shown not to hold for microscopic systems.

The demonstration, by chemical physicists in Australia, could place a fundamental limit on miniaturisation, because it suggests that the micro-scale devices envisaged by nanotechnologists will not behave like simple scaled-down versions of their larger counterparts - they could sometimes run backwards.

Oops.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

I'm dumb, please explain what this has to do with creationists?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This ain't new.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
        I'm dumb, please explain what this has to do with creationists?
        They quote the second law to disprove evolution - as evolution breaks the second law (according to them at least) it cannot be a natural or occuring phenomenon.

Comment

ah I see.... HAW HAW!!
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Considering the more erudite Creationists had already rejected the Second Law rationale (I've seen some Creationist web sites actively pleading with other Creationists not to use the Second Law fallacy, as it makes them look bad), this won't effect serious (*snicker*) debates much. At least it may shut up the more ignorant ones, though.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

nothing shuts up ignorance, Boris...
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

demonstration. Yeah right. You expect us to trust that.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I thought the title of this thread was "Creationists take head"

How disappointing.

"it suggests that the micro-scale devices envisaged by nanotechnologists will not behave like simple scaled-down versions of their larger counterparts - they could sometimes run backwards."

then why not program robots that run backwards, shrink them down and they will be fine?

Comment

Creationism is false. That is all that is needed to disprove the pile of BS it is.
                    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Fez, that is so true...
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                        I thought the title of this thread was "Creationists take head"
                        Me too.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                          Creationism is false.
                          Right, well that's that then. May as well all go home.

Try reasoned argument, Fez, 'cause no-one is going to be convinced by pathetic statements like that from some spotty homosexual Brazilian kid....

Comment

And what does being homosexual matter in this? Surely you wouldn't imply that being gay would make someone less trustworthy, would you?
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I hope that we are able to build an entropy engine one day. That woud be cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X