Best use of The Great Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best use of The Great Library

The Great Library generally allows you to catch up with other civs tech-wise, but there are several ways to benefit from it.

Do you:

Stop researching the moment you are certain no other civ will beat you to it, and start researching when it expires ?

Stop researching the moment you are certain no other civ will beat you to it, and start researching the Invention-path (to Mil. Tr.) when you get engineering ?

Become the number one tech broker, researching neglected techs and trading them ?

Combine these strategies ?

Do something else ?

Never build it ?
    Stop researching the moment you are certain no other civ will beat you to it, and start researching when it expires
    18.18%
    Stop researching the moment you are certain no other civ will beat you to it, and start researching the Invention-path (to Mil. Tr.) when you get engineering
    33.33%
    Become the number one tech broker, researching neglected techs and trading them
    18.18%
    Combine these strategies
    9.09%
    Do something else
    12.12%
    Never build it
    9.09%

OK, first reply reply to your post.

I am usually REALLY certain nobody will beat me only when there is one turn left to its completion (bad experiences )

Usually, playing on Monarch, I go for Republic at a steady pace (15 turns), since it seems it's one of last techs researched by the AI and I want to get out of Despotism asap.

In the meantime, I sell techs around to get plenty of cash. Once into the Middle Ages, I usually have 700-1'200 gold, then I beeline first for Gunpowder, via Engineering, then switch for Adam Smith (which for me is the more important Wonder in the Middle Ages).
    When playing on archipelago, I often leave a group of civs technically backwards, to milk them at leisure, specially if I plan to grab soome land from them.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my second town goes for the GL immediately, after building a worker.

All the rest is subject to the whims of the game.
    The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Research Republic at 40turns than for the Mi. Tr. path but at since 30-50%

Comment

I am usually REALLY certain nobody will beat me only when there is one turn left to its completion (bad experiences)
        I agree, but you can have a pretty good idea and be willing to gamble! (Establishing embassies at this point will let you have a peek at the other civs' progress, provided they are building it in their capital . The cost of these embassies is outweighed by, say, 10 turns with 90% tax)

Comment

I have NEVER succeeded in building the Great Library. I've tried loads of times and never made it.

So now, I don't bother. It just doesn't first with my style.
          Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
          "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I make sure to aim for the GL, but I can live without it...

the main point of the GL is, in my view, to keep another Civ from having it. That being said, it is useful to let the GL bring you construction, code of laws and philosophy while you're researching currency and monarchy... but that's just my playstyle.
            You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

When I am planing to build the GL, I am researching techs, that are normally not favorized by the AI. I mean, I am not researching and even NOT BUYING bronze, iron making, worrior code etc, but heading for currency. When I am finished with the GL I will get those techs anyway. In the meantime (while building it) I am trying to contact as many as possible civs.

I thing, this strategy is best working with france...

Comment

This strategy works well with everyone I find, especially civs lacking strong domestic traits (i.e., not religious, scientific or commercial)

Comment

I'll go for the mil. trad. as everyone else is researching the other path. Some times I have to go back to that path as well if education is discovered too soon, and this actually often makes me fall a bit behind, but I'll get cavalry first!

Comment

It really depends what level you're playing on. Under Deity, building the Great Library is not at all guaranteed. Playing a commercial civ gets you a fighting chance but you pretty much have to build it in one of your first two cities or you can kiss that dream goodbye.

If I decide to go for the Great Library, I stop research as soon as I get Literature...unless I know I am on an isolated island. If I believe there is any chance for two civs to make contact, I hoard gold and skip the Pottery - Map Making route.

I don't restart research until the Great Library expires with Education. Then, I almost always research Astronomy as a piece of my SSC.

If I fail to get the Great Library, I use the hoarded gold to catch up as best I can. Usually, that will get me within a tech or two if I've done my homework.

Under the middle levels, Emperor and Monarch, building the Great Library is much easier. But, I find that I run out of things to build pretty quickly. Once I get a couple of thousand gold, I restart research following the lower tech path.

- TT

Comment

I would say it depends on the situation. Quite often I stop researching to get cash for rush-building, but I think you have to research to really keep the tech lead and be able to build some of the middle age wonders. I normally rush for military tradition and let the AI research the rest, but theology is also really useful to get first of all and get ahead in the wonder construction.
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

The number of civs has a big impact on the GL decision. You need at least two AIs researching for you. In a resent game, I had 3 civs researching very well. I shut down all research, and got 15 techs (Emperor) from the GL.

I usually just shut down the research until very close to the end. Getting all that gold for upgrades and improvements is very smart.

Comment

GL as a offensive weapon...

I always used GL in my emporer level games as a way to keep the enemy A.I. technologicaly backwards. Typicaly, I could deal my way ahead of the A.I. by cocnentrating my economy on gold and expansion, effectivly keeping almost 3 tech lead in front of everyone.

With that pesky GL out of the way, I can make sure those A.I. never reach calvalry befor me, and thus dooming them unless they are lucky enough to get to rifleman befor I invade them.

So the lesson, deprive the A.I. of the GL so that they will never gain a tech lead in front of you.

-ronnie
                          "...oh comrade, you can honestly expect me to worry about some worthless peasants?"- Josef Stalin

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                            I have NEVER succeeded in building the Great Library. I've tried loads of times and never made it.

So now, I don't bother. It just doesn't first with my style.
                            Same here, even when I played on Chieftain. Every other wonder I have managed to build at some point except HG ('cos I never proritise it).

Literature is the one tech I will never trade as well - as it never helps me, perhaps I should start selling.
                            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I don't understand why anyone would prioritize the colossus or the pyramids above the Great Library.

Comment

Working...
                              X