Resizing icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resizing icons

Is there a way to change the dimensions of the icons in the game?

I mean city improvements and techs have a 36x20(pixels) dimension.

Could i make them appear instead f.e in 33x20?
    "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
    Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Could i make them appear instead f.e in 33x20?

Why not try making the extraneous rows transparent?
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Amazing!

It worked.

Thanks!
      "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

The "maximum" height allowed is 20 pixels.
        Is there a way around it?

Comment

Don't know of a way unless you 'concatenate' two improvements that are adjacent in the city screen.

Can't resist a plug here.

Depending on the context, Test of Time can use 72x40 (and more color).

e.g.

Now imagine if Fairline or Curt Sibling started designing ToT icons.

[Give in to the Dark side, buy & use ToT ]
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

After researching thoroughly on the subject i decree that there is no way around it....

and to my knowledge fairline doesn't do icons.

Comment

Rather unrelated to the original question, but you can change the technology icon category numbers to something other than just those 20 spots.

If you change the numbers to much larger or smaller you can, for instance, let a tech have the same icon as a city improvement, or each tech a different icon etc. (I think, if there are enough of those empty icons in the icons.gif).
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Thats a gem!
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Having read Mercator's post, I decided to find out how this works. After a little bit of trial and error, I figured the scheme is very simple: it just goes backwards. I think most will get this, but just in case there's any doubt, here is the Epoch/Category for every City Improvement and WoW. These can be used with advances, I tested it with the "Advanced Flight" advance (sorry if it's a bit messy, but notepad doesn't seem to be able to convert everything in the right way):

Palace -2, -16
                  Barracks -1, -16
                  Granary 0, -16
                  Temple -3, -15
                  Market Place -2, -15
                  Library -1, -15
                  Courthouse 0, -15
                  City Walls -3, -14
                  Aquaeduct -2, -14
                  Bank -1, -14
                  Cathedral 0, -14
                  University -3, -13
                  Mass Transport -2, -13
                  Colosseum -1, -13
                  Factory 0, -13
                  Manufacturing Plant -3, -12
                  SDI -2, -12
                  Recycling Plant -1, -12
                  Power Plant 0, -12
                  Hydro Plant -3, -11
                  Nuclear Plant -2, -11
                  Stock Exchange -1, -11
                  Sewer Sytem 0, -11
                  Supermarket -3, -10
                  Superhighways -2, -10
                  Research Lab -1, -10
                  SAM 0, -10
                  Coastal Fortress -3, -9
                  Solar Plant -2, -9
                  Harbour -1, -9
                  Offshore Platform 0, -9
                  Airport -3, -8
                  Police Station -2, -8
                  Port Facility -1, -8
                  SS Structural 0, -8
                  SS Component -3, -7
                  SS Module -2, -7
                  (Capitalization) -1, -7
                  Pyramids 0, -7
                  Hanging Gardens -3, -6
                  Colossus -2, -6
                  Lighthouse -1, -6
                  Great Library 0, -6
                  Oracle -3, -5
                  Great Wall -2, -5
                  Sun Tzu -1, -5
                  King Richard 0, -5
                  Marco Polo -3, -4
                  Michelangelo -2, -4
                  Copernicus -1, -4
                  Magellan 0, -4
                  Shakespeare -3, -3
                  Leonardo -2, -3
                  Bach -1, -3
                  Isaac Newton 0, -3
                  Adam Smith -3, -2
                  Darwin -2, -2
                  Statue Of Liberty -1, -2
                  Eiffel Tower 0, -2
                  Women's Suffrage -3, -1
                  Hoover Dam -2, -1
                  Manhattan Project -1, -1
                  United Nations 0, -1
                  Apollo Program -3, 0
                  SETI Program -2, 0
                  Cure For Cancer -1, 0

Interestingly enough, if you make the numbers even higher, the game seems to grab from other game files. E.g., 5, -28 will show the little content female citizen icon that shows when you press "happiness" in your city screen from Icons.gif. I've also had some images from the .dll files (for example the image that appears in your pop-up boxes when the game tells you how your population boosts; but it's likely that it will show every one, I've just not had the wits to try this out, I found this out by accident).

Also, there seems to be at least (at least) one different scheme for the icons. 5, -13, for example, will show the Hydro Plant icon.
                  Follow the masses!
                  30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

This is very usefull
                    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Excellent Stefan

I found this out back when I was working on my Orbis scenario. I didn't really find any use for it so I forgot about it (it's just the tech icons after all).

I thought that there was some sort of a system to the numbering... Something like the epoch moves 5 icons ahead/back (that is, one row down in case of the tech icons) and the category just 1 (one column). So with that system you could get to the different icons with all sorts of different combinations...

Maybe I should actually test again, but I'm too lazy and you've found the most interesting things already (as far as I can remember anyway ).
                      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

To illustrate this a bit, here's what I did with the icons.gif from "Lost Paradise"...
                        Attached Files
                        Follow the masses!

Comment

...and this is the way the science advisor sees it (Proof: it works)
                          Attached Files
                          Follow the masses!

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

Working...
                            X