Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Olympic Committee covered up illegal drug use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Olympic Committee covered up illegal drug use?

This is sort of old news but I haven't seen a thread on this. The gist is the US Olympic Committee was covering up the uses of illegal performance enhancement drugs in US athletes so they could compete in the events.

Lewis a drug cheat? Documents suggest cover-up

Documents purporting to show that a number of American athletes, including Carl Lewis, were allowed to compete in the Olympics after failing drug tests prove suspicions of US drug cover-ups, says the head of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Dr Wade Exum, the former USOC director for drug control from 1991 to 2000, released more than 30,000 pages of documents to Sports Illustrated and the Orange County Register.
    Pound: Documents confirm rumors of cover-ups

Arne Ljungqvist, chairman of the medical commissions of the IOC and the International Association of Athletics Federations, said the documents "fit a pattern'' of failure to report on positive drug cases.

"The USATF should have reported to the IAAF,'' he said. "That's what we asked them to do repeatedly. We were aware they didn't do it. The rules were changed in '89 to make that clear.''
    IAAF official calls for probe of track star Carl Lewis doping case

A top official of track and field's world governing body has urged the International Olympic Committee to investigate the alleged doping case of nine-time gold medallist Carl Lewis.

"I have the impression that Mr. Lewis believes the case could be trivialized because it's so long ago," said Helmut Digel, a German vice-president of the IAAF. "But that's not the responsible way to deal with this. Rules are rules and they were apparently broken," Digel told the German Web sports site Sport1.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Yeah, they should strip some medals from that f00 that goes by the name of Lewis. There is only one true olympics champion and achiever of all times and that is Paavo Nurmi!

seriously though, I think this is a shame. As doping is kind of hot topic here all the time, this has been pretty much in the headlines for some time.. it's a shame, that's all I have to say.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I know. If it's true, I don't understand why the USOC has been covering it up. It's going to blow apart, and the longer they have put a lid over it, the worse of a scandal it becomes.
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

UR, I agree. If it's true, they should do damage control fast, come clean to an extent. Sports shouldn't be THIS serious.. takes the fun away.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Lewis and the USOC must go down as the biggest hypocrites in the history of sports after the moral high ground they took over Johnson and the East Europeans.

Can the USA's athletic achievments in the 80's and 90's now be viewed any differently than that of the eastern bloc countries in the 70's and 80's?

The only distinction i can see is the latter was state controlled whereas the American athletes earned enough money to buy their own drugs.

I always thought it was slightly niave of people to think that while ALL east european success was down to drugs, the American athletes were beating them 'naturally', of course there was never much prooof before this, only the careless ones got caught

Comment

It's been known for many years that US athletes cheated during the eighties and that it was covered up.

Look at Flo Jo - went from being average to a world beater in six months - and started to look like a man.

Strip the medals from all of them and shut down the Olympics for good. It's become a drug infested money corrupted joke.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

No! Please don't shut down the Olympics! That is the only time I ever want to watch television.

I believe that it is possible to run a relatively clean games. Some countries' attitudes will really have to change though.

This story reached its peak here during the Sydney Olympics. Funnily enough, it didn't seem to get hardly any press south of the border at the time.

The Lewis case is only one of more than 100 USA positive drug tests not reported to the IOC. But in his defense it should be noted that the stimulant was found in nose spray which could possibly be taken inadvertantly, not a steriod masking substance like Ben Johnson took.

More blatant cheating still hasn't been addressed by the IOC. Beckie Scott's bronze was upgraded to a silver but it should be gold. The Russian who finished with a faster time was caught in the following days but so far iirc, they have only disqualified her from the positive doping result day's race.

Comment

have any of you seen the movie "shaolin soccer"?

there's a great line in there explaining "evil american drug or injection".
                B♭3

Comment

I am a bit surprised that there have been no comments from the US posters.

Q Cubed,

Did you pay $ to watch that? I saw it on TV, and what a waste of time that was. I don't think there's anything funny in Shaolin Soccer.

Comment

I visited Olympic Stadium in Montreal last year. When I was a small boy I remember watching the Montreal Games and really loving it.

I can't seem to recapture that feeling with the current four yearly soft drink commercial featuring overpaid cheats.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

ur, it's so bad that it loops around into insanely funny.

might have helped that i had imbibed certain refreshments prior to watching it...
                      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        I am a bit surprised that there have been no comments from the US posters.

Q Cubed,

Did you pay $ to watch that? I saw it on TV, and what a waste of time that was. I don't think there's anything funny in Shaolin Soccer.
                        USA!

It's common knowledge that most track atheletes are juicing.

Not just the US ones either.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                        X