Failing search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing search

I often search for new versions of archived threads (also because pages 2, 3... of archived threads are not accessible), but the search often don't work:

an example: Civilization II > Civ2-Strategy > Distilled Civ Tips and Notes

Search by 'distilled' don't work. The thread had been found by thread starter: Inca911 (fortunately he had little posts).
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Search doesn't seem to work with the archives. You need to look in there by hand.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Urban Ranger,
      'Distilled Civ Tips and Notes' is a regular thread. There is only its predecessor in archives.

Comment

I was under the impression the search feature only went back 90 days. True or false?
        "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

IIRC. the search doesn't work properly before a particular date.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I have never failed a search on a not-archived forum, whatever the date. However, search doesn't work at all in archives. It's sometimes a beef
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiffor,
              try the example above...

I have read that the new Apolyton server should allow 'full index search', but it looks it is not true

Comment

Allow is the operative word. All active threads should be fully indexed. The existing inactive threads would have to be indexed. I suppose that can be run as a background operation.

What really bugs me is that it won't search for 3 letter keys. I'm thinking of how many times I've wanted to find particular "OCC" posts. It ought to be permitted for case sensitive and whole word options.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Remember back in the day when the Settler server would fall over every few minutes? The 3-letter searching contributed to the instability.

With regards to "full index searching", it does take time to fully index the entire forums. And Markos has other priorities at this time like getting all the software and data from our old server to our new server.

Unless Markos specifically says that he isn't going to do a full index after all, have patience.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I for one like the new capacity, as it enabled me to find one of my threads much more quickly then before.

Thanks Markos!
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yup, I've never been able to search the archives either.

Comment

Its a pain. The best we can do is post a request to forum members to help narrow the manual search.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Perhaps particular 3-letter keys can be specified by the admins for indexing?
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                            Its a pain. The best we can do is post a request to forum members to help narrow the manual search.
                            This works with civ2, since we can remember most of the more important threads. It could be trickier with some of the busier forums though.

Comment

Working...
                            X