Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few strategy questions

Hey guys!

I'm delving deeper into GalCiv and several more stuff came up.

I was wondering about a few things myself.

First, I read the Terror Star thread and it brought up an interesting point. They destroy stars, right? Then is it possible to create new stars? If Terrorstars destroyed every star in the galaxy, the game's screwed up.

I remember seeing "Star Creation" tech, does that enable new stars to be created? Or is it just a stepping stone to higher technologies?

Second, I'd like to know if there's a maximum limit on ships, like way back in Civ1? In Civ1, they had a maximum of like 100 or 200 units per civ.

Last, I'm curious about some calculations in the "events" stuff. I got the planet quality bonus choice with the worms, "keep them, move them, or kill em all" options.

I never lose planet quality if I have the Shazam Planet Quality picked for my civ, and select the "Harmony with Worms" option during that event. No planet quality loss, even if its a size 20 planet and -40% penalty for the worms. The planet remains at size 20.

So how does that figure into calculations, like application of civ planet bonus BEFORE applying the planet quality event bonus, or the other way around?

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm having a blast with GalCiv.
    Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

I haven't played around much with terror stars, but here are some thoughts on the other questions:

Star Creation is just a tech that leads to the technology win; it doesn't allow you to actually make stars. That would be fun, though!

There is no hard maximum to units in the game, to my knowledge. It's mainly just limited by the amount of money you have on hand to maintain them.

As far as those calculations go, if you have the high planet quality ability, it certainly can negate a "bad" event that would lower the planet quality. I don't know which calculation comes first, but they basically cancel each other out; if you wouldn't have had that event, the planet quality would have been raised by your inate bonus. If you go to the Details section of the planet screen, you will still see the -20 Planet Quality or whatever, listed on that screen. So it is still there, it's just balanced out by your bonuses.

Hope that helps!

Comment

I might as well add some questions here.

Trade goods.

Say I trade for a trade good from another civ. How long do I get that good? Is it forever?

What happens when you eliminate a civ that has a trade good? I don't seem to get it, but it doesn't show up to be built either.
      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Trade goods are traded instantly and permanently: once you trade, you have the good and it is never lost.

You do not get trade goods by conquering other races, unlike techs (anyone else happy to see that back, ala Civ2?) If you don't trade for the trade good before the race who has it is destroyed, it's gone forever from the game.

Comment

Thanks, so if I have a minor with trade goods I want. I should trade whatever they want for them the turn before I declare war and eliminate them!
          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Or attack them, accept peace in exchange for the trade good, then attack again and eliminate them. I don't do this, the one time I played evil none of my plans worked right, I was dependant on the minor civs for trade so I wound up defending them, etc.

Comment

That is sweet. There was one minor with 4 trade goods. I had to trade them all my tech and a peace deal to get them, but it didn't matter because I finished them off right after the deal!

Comment

Working...
              X