Different UU for English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different UU for English

I think England gets cheated with that UU. For a huge chuck of the modern age they were the dominant empire on the planet. That unit just doesn't do them justice.

I'm thinking an replacement to the Musketman would be better. The British Regular or "Redcoat" unit would be a lot more useful. During the height of their empire the British Regulars were the elite fighting force of the world. I'm not sure what the best combination of traits would be best thoough. Maybe a +1 on both offense and defense OR +2 offense and same defense...

Anyone?

I play modded rules where the age of sail begins much sooner, namely with the Navigation tech, and where ships are much faster. The English UU can be interetsing in this meaning, for it can secure the expansion to unsettled islands, and is a kind of very mobile catapult.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

If you ask me, both 4/4/1 and 3/5/1 could be OK.

Comment

I'm not so sure - having a late golden age can really turn the tables when you're behind. Getting it at gunpowder isn't that much earlier, true, but it coincides nicely with the over ocean trade era - which is what the British empire was all about.

Also, the British Army was extremely small and (at the time of the Napoleonic wars) was only about 50% English - if you count the Indian sepoy battalions too, it's only about 10% English! The reason they won a lot of battles was not so much superior ability as better discipline and command and control. Without the right leaders they often got a right kicking.

I agree, the man-o-war is a naff Civ unit - but it does the job.
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Well, I think the use of the longbow originated with the English, but that's already a unit. I think the MOW is mostly meant to represent their traditional strength at sea. The main problem is that sea units just aren't as valuable as land units, and come much later, as many have mentioned. I do think that the Viking civ added by the expansion pack should have used a "longboat" unit instead of the galley, which would actually be useful because of its early appearance, but what equivalent could the Brits use? Coracles? Rather silly for a unique unit IMO. You could probably balance it by making the MOW a lot stronger, but I think the basic game mechanics need more fixing than the specifics. Not that that's an original comment by any means...
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Eliminating the useless ironclad and strengthening the MOW would do more to improve the English than anything else.

I always thought the Greeks should have a Trireme instead of a Hoplite.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm thinking maybe a tank UU as they did have some of the first tanks. How bout it of course those were WW1 tanks and the tanks now are WW2.

Comment

The Gurkhas of course... thats what the English special unit should be... but then again I am from Nepal...
                Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
                So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
                rocking on everest

Comment

I think the English UU is a good idea, but ships need improvements.

I would move Ironclads to Industrialization or Corporation, giving the more accurate life of Wooden Frigates.

I would make the ships changed to:

Galley 30 1.1.3 (2)
                  Caravel 40 1.2.3 (3)
                  Galleon 60 1.2.4 (4)
                  Privateer 60 3.1.3
                  Frigate 60 4.3.4 (0) 6.1.2
                  -Man-O-War 60 5.3.4 (0) 8.1.2
                  Ironclad 80 8.8.4 (0) 8.1.2
                  Transport 100 1.4.5 (8)
                  Destroyer 120 16.12.6 (0) 10.1.3
                  Battleship 200 24.20.4 (0) 14.2.4
                  Submarine 100 15.8.3
                  Nuclear Sub 120 15.8.4
                  Aegis Cruiser 160 16.15.5 (0) 7.2.2
                  Carrier 200 1.9.4 (8 Aircraft)

I don't think the Hopilite is a bad choice for Greece

If it was Athens (S,C), they would have the Trireme
                  And Sparta (M,I) would have the Hoplite

But since they are together, it isn't a big deal
                  Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

They couldn't have a trireme, because its advantage would have to be a 2 on attack (maybe a 2 on defense instead... not likely though), which would make it competitive even two eras later - not a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                      Well, I think the use of the longbow originated with the English,
                      It was the Welsh.

I like to use the editor and have a few different UUs for every Civ.
                      Challanger 2 tank, anybody?
                      -Sir T

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                        They couldn't have a trireme, because its advantage would have to be a 2 on attack (maybe a 2 on defense instead... not likely though), which would make it competitive even two eras later - not a good idea.
                        Perhaps the whole naval thing could be rejigged. I've always thought that the ships were too slow.

And triremes are so cool.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Well, the moment they have a Welsh civ I'll eat my words, then.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I play a mod called the ArtilleryMod, which gives the English the longbowman and adds a new unit, the crossbowman. The stats are 5/1/1 for the long and 4/1/1 for the cross, and the long is a deadend unit.
                            I wish for a custom avatar - it would give me some individuality.
                            I am a dissenter of the required first/last name fields.

Comment

When I first started with Civ3, I liked playing the English natch but soon realised that their UU was the biggest waste of space ever.

Some of the above suggestions for its replacement are interesting.

Gotta wonder if the testers ever tried playing with the English and actually reported back that the MOW was a useful unit...?

Comment

Working...
                              X