Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In exceptional events like this one of Apolyton not working for 4 hours I think it's ok to extend the 24 hour limit. However, this is one of the few cases in which I agree with that.

I am not against GS or any other team, but Beta is right when he says that the game as a whole is suffering from turns being delayed so often and could cause a loss of interest. So I would also please demand that everyone made an effort to speed things up a bit. I'm the first that won't agree to play every turn in just 1 hour, but we could find a good middle point between those two sides.
    "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
    "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

We acknowledge to the fact that we have been slow to say the least the last couple of turns. We will really do our best to make sure we will play faster (debating, polling etc. will be just as slow, but Nathan will move the units faster ).

Seriously, we'll do our best.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

If other teams were as slow as we are, we'd be able to get more planning done between turns.

Seriously, we've been caught very much by surprise, not just at Vox's choice to attack us but at how big Vox's forces are turning out to be. And while we definitely like our prospects for eventual victory, our current force levels force us into some tricky choices. That is further complicated by the fact that we don't know from one turn to the next what Vox's next moves will be or what additional reinforcements will show up.

In theory, we could spend the time between turns doing contingency planning for the various moves Vox might make, and we do in fact do a certain amount of that. But if we spend all our available time during our turns on the game, and all our available time between turns on the game, when do we get to have time for anything else?

I'm hoping that before long, things will reach a point where it is less difficult to figure out what our best moves are, or at least less critical that we make the best choices possible. Then things should speed up considerably for us, at least most of the time. But the last few turns, we've had some pretty tough decisions to make, and even the time between turns plus 24 hours (less work and sleep) for the turn itself hasn't always been enough to reach a genuine consensus.

Nathan
        Last edited by nbarclay; April 18, 2003, 15:30.

Comment

Understood.

Vox is only trying to keep the game interesting. And it only gets better.
          Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

For Vox: I'm sure Vondrack has announced you, but just to be sure:

Please send the saves for Legoland in the next few days (until Vondrack returns) to the following address, too.

tibi.k(at)xnet(dot)ro
            "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
            --George Bernard Shaw
            A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
            --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by BetaHound
              Sent to Tiberius of Lego.
              Beta, are you sure you've sent it to the right address? I didn't get it yet.

Here's an alternative address, if for some strange reason you can't send it to the first one:
              tibi_k(at)email(dot)com
              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
              --George Bernard Shaw
              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
              --Woody Allen

Comment

Comment

I don't think we're in any position to complain.
                  "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                  And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                  Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                  - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Beta mentioned in our private forum that he was leaving town for the day...so he will probably not get your message Tiberius until tomorrow.
                    "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber

I don't think we're in any position to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                        Beta mentioned in our private forum that he was leaving town for the day...so he will probably not get your message Tiberius until tomorrow.
                        That means you would break the 24 hour rule, wouldn't ?
                        [nelson]
                        Héhé
                        [/nelson]

but alot of too
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                          Could perhaps someone else from Vox send it?
                          --George Bernard Shaw
                          --Woody Allen

Comment

Alas, I wish I could Tiberius, but Beta - being the master mind that he is - performed quite a few masterful moves on our last turn....and I don't believe that I, or anyone else on our team can replicate them like he did.

Besides, shouldn't the blame for the hold-up go to your team? After all, if you've had valid email address(es) we wouldn't be in the current hold up now would we? Don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing fingers...just restating the facts as they are.
                            "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                            "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Huh? My email address is very valid. I'm involved in many PBEM games and I'm happily sending and receiving several civ saves per day.

I don't blame anyone and I expect the same things from others. It's just an unfortunate incident.

Happy Easter to everyone
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

Hello - I'm back. Very sorry guys. My "sent" messages shows the save as leaving at 7:39 edt yesterday morning. Sorry it did not make it out from my end or in at yours.

Resending now.
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X