Rop Rape Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rop Rape Help

Hi There, I'm about to do the nastiest trick in Civ - the good ol' ROP Rape.
    Basically in my current game, despite my best efforts i never managed to catch up the AI on tech, I'm now also behind in Military and population ect

So, I'm going to try and kill all the birds with a stone - a Repution blow in Style
    I've traded all my economy in gpt for French tech which will enable me to get Hoover.

However, When I declare war on the French I expect to cause some damage.

Here's the Military Situation :-
    The Military Geezer says France are harder than us, but they cant have much attacking firepower (they wont have tanks yet, or if they've just researched it they wont have any time to build any when i cut off thier Oil. What I do have plenty of is Artillary, I'm inexperienced with Combined Arms, But i suspect that a ROP Rape is a perfect time to use it?? I have a lot of spare cavalary, which I'm sure I'll make good use of on ridlined troops.

The Main question tho, is how can i cause the MOST Damage with such limited firepower, Capital Isolation(they are a demo)? , BURN thier capital, generally play havok with thier railways or just burn the nearby cities???

Any help much appreciated
    Cheers
    Matt
    Up The Millers

It depends. Do you think you could actually capture and hold a significant chunk of the French Empire?

If so, I would argue for capturing as many luxury supplies as you can. That will help with WW, and will of course hurt the French. If you are neighbors with the French, perhaps a portion of their empire would be productive for you (due to Palace/FP placement)? If so, that area is an obvious target, as you might get some use out of it.

If you don't think you have the strength for that type of thing, I would probably advocate razing the capitol and any other core cities you can grab, and cutting all luxuries & strategic resources. Aim to maximize damage and minimize your casualties. Explorers are nice, 20 (?) shield pillagers - far better than getting Cavalry killed.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Thanks for that, I dont think I could capture thier cities, and more importantly hold them, altho there is one little coastal town Which I'll take for it to flip back to them again

Sadly the French luxuries are spread out through thier empire. Thier Capital, on further inspection, while i HAVE To get rid of it (or capture it) at some point, I think I'll settle for isolaton at this point as I'd like thier 3 wonders they have in there.

I think I'll look into the Explorer's, could produce them in 1 turn in many cities.

And another final Question , If i do ROP RAPE does it cancel my other ROP's???

Cheers
      Matt
      Up The Millers

Comment

No, but you will never be able to get any new RoPs once you've done the rape.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

That's ok , i didnt expect I would be able to do - I'll make them all in advance
          Up The Millers

Comment

Well well, The AI is a hell of a lot more smarter than I gave it credit for.

Here's me expecting i could round one by one doing the ROP Rape to each civ and they'd all stand by and watch. Whooopps.

The AI kicked my ass big time, I actually went for the russians first since they had a couple of stranded cities in 'my' area. My offensive went quite ok, any i actually found the immense power of Artillery - good stuff they are. The Main problem was that the next turn virtually the whole world (even those with ROP's) declared war on me, and Me vs Everyone was always going to be a quick road to defeat.

Oh well, never mind, Well done AI.

Cheers
            Matt
            Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by Rothy
              Now there's something I don't hear every day.
              badams

Comment

Well ya gotta hand it to them for not being as dumb as I expected. Just gotta learn and start over, It's great to be humiliatingly defeated once in a While!!
                Up The Millers

Comment

It is possible to get more RoPs after a RoP rape, because it is possible to fool the AI into thinking that what happened wasn't RoP violation.

If you have an RoP that has lasted 20 turns withouth being cancelled (or is in the last turn, where the deal shows up in your 'existing deals' section and this is your first chance to legally cancel it, you use the RoP to move all your relevant units into position, call up the leader, cancel the RoP, and then declare war. You do take the diplo hit for declaring war with troops in an opponents territory, but as long as your reputation wasn't too bad, you can still sign RoP deals with other civs.

To be fair, I don't think I've done this with PtW, only Civ 3 v1.29f. I only ever did it once, the time I discovered it, but I think it is a bit of an exploit. It might not even work under the latest patches on PtW.

Comment

Originally posted by vulture
                    To be fair, I don't think I've done this with PtW, only Civ 3 v1.29f. I only ever did it once, the time I discovered it, but I think it is a bit of an exploit. It might not even work under the latest patches on PtW.
                    Your last sentence is spot on. If you declare war while having units in enemy territory (or attack without declaring war first), you can expect to see the AI mentioning your RoP rape afterwards, even though you didn't actually have a RoP.
                    If you cut off my head, what do I say?
                    Me and my body, or me and my head?

Comment

Originally posted by Rothy
                      The AI kicked my ass big time, I actually went for the russians first since they had a couple of stranded cities in 'my' area. My offensive went quite ok, any i actually found the immense power of Artillery - good stuff they are. The Main problem was that the next turn virtually the whole world (even those with ROP's) declared war on me, and Me vs Everyone was always going to be a quick road to defeat.

Cheers
                      Matt
                      Well, I'm sorry your adventure didn't end up as you had hoped for. If you allow me to make some suggestions:

- you better watch your back with your neighbors, especially if you don't know how "popular" your enemy is. Doing a RoP Rape didn't help either...

- I don't usually go for "limited warfare" after the mid-medieval age (unless I have a specific objective like luxuries or resources). If I start a war after that period, I conquer or try and do as much damage as possible (in other words effectively wiping out that country from being a future threat ever again). Unless of course I am attacked unexpectedly, in that case I try and beat the enemy and do a limited counterattack. I would have rather waited a little until I was stronger and tried to get a military alliance and then attacked. Or at the least done it legit as vulture and theNiceOne mentioned.

better luck next time Rothy
                      A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

If you try a RoP Rape, make sure you are ina strategic location. For example, you want to make sure you are not in the middle of several nations. If you are, you could be in the position Hitler was in, and well....it didn't serve him to well did it?

About the RoP Rape, it can actually be the fastest way to attack, but you will piss everyone else off. So, unless your civ is the God of The World at the time, you might not wanna do it.

-Ronald
                        " give them a god, and they will give you wealth and power "-Septimus

Comment

Originally posted by theNiceOne

Your last sentence is spot on. If you declare war while having units in enemy territory (or attack without declaring war first), you can expect to see the AI mentioning your RoP rape afterwards, even though you didn't actually have a RoP.
                          Is there any difference between declaring a war and then attacking the enemy units/cities or just jump on the enemy without declaring a war? ....hm if yes, maybe this is why nobody likes me in my games....

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            No, but you will never be able to get any new RoPs once you've done the rape.

-Arrian
                            Unless you're the AI? About 6 of the enemies just took turns to ROP-rape my civ. I didn't notice them going without ROPs themselves afterwards.

Is it just me, or is the PTW AI more aggressive than 1.29?

In the past, you could pay up to a threat, and they'd get off your back for a while. Now they demand an expensive tech, you pay, and they ROP-rape you two turns later. Avoiding war seems impossible in PTW.

Comment

Cort Haus,

Right, the AI does not suffer the diplomatic hits a human does. I think it would cripple the AI if it did.

PTW is slightly more aggressive, IMO. Slightly harder too. Hence my drop from Emperor back to Monarch. I could play and win Emp, but Monarch is more fun for me.

I just try and beat the AI to the punch.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X