Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer in Play the World

Hey ppl, long time since ive written.
    I havent got play the world yet, but i just wanted to know what to expect of multiplayer.

if anyone could take the time, please answer up, explaining all the types of multiplayer and exactly how they work etc. especially the turnless thing!
    thx

Here’s a brief summary of the PTW MP modes (paraphrased from the Manual + experience with the game):

Turn-Based
    * Same gameplay process & mechanics as for the traditional single-player game
    * Initially the game host sets a Game Speed that determines how much time each player has to process their turn
    * Remaining turn time is displayed with a count-down clock
    * Negotiation & Diplomacy with other human players is done at any time during the turn; pop-up windows provide options on how to proceed, moods, chat, etc., as well as Accept/Reject/Cancel options to close the deal or to walk away.
    * When time elapses, the next turn begins
    * Quitting a live session causes your Civ to be eliminated from the game

Simultaneous Movement
    * Similar to the turn-based game
    * Initially the game host sets a Game Speed that determines how much time each player has to process their turn
    * Remaining turn time is displayed with a count-down clock
    * Game proceeds one game-turn at a time, in which all players take their turns simultaneously
    * Turn lasts until a turn timer expires
    * All production, research, etc. takes place prior to start of next turn
    * Negotiation & Diplomacy with other human players is done at any time during the turn; pop-up windows provide options on how to proceed, moods, chat, etc., as well as Accept/Reject/Cancel options to close the deal or to walk away.
    * When time elapses, the next turn begins

Turnless
    * Unlike other modes of play – no discrete turns
    * Initially the game host sets a Game Speed that determines the relative length of a ‘faction upkeep’ phase
    * production and upkeep tasks (food, shields, cash, taxes, research, unit production, etc.) occur at the end of time periods (faction upkeep) based on the Game Speed
    * faction upkeep time grows longer as game progresses (i.e. scales as effort increases)
    * no notification of end of faction upkeep phase (it is noticeable by the incrementing of production, growth, etc.)
    * when faction upkeep completes, game continues uninterrupted through the next phase, and so on…

Hot Seat
    * like turn-based game, where all players play on the same computer (no network headaches)
    * each player-turn begins with a black intro log-in screen (for privacy)
    * no turn timer - turn lasts until you’ve done everything (or the others kick you off)
    * when a player-turn is done, the next player takes over, gets their intro screen, etc.
    * Negotiations & Diplomacy follows a protocol that can last several turns, consisting of PlayerA Proposes -> Player B Accepts/Rejects/Counterproposes -> Player A Accepts/Rejects/Counterproposes -> etc. until the deal is made or dropped.
    * MP game setup screen provides options to Add Human Player, customize names, etc.
    * Quit & Save any time; resume any time

Play By Email (PBEM)
    * like turn-based game (a very, very long one due to email-processing delays)
    * a player-turn is initiated when the player receives the emailed turn file from the previous player; the current player then does a Load Game to get going
    * each player-turn begins with a black intro log-in screen (for privacy)
    * no turn timer
    * when a player-turn is done, the program prompts to Save&Exit; the file can then be emailed to the next player (you need to know their email address, of course)
    * Negotiations & Diplomacy follows a protocol that can last several turns, consisting of PlayerA Proposes -> Player B Accepts/Rejects/Counterproposes -> Player A Accepts/Rejects/Counterproposes -> etc. until the deal is made or dropped.
    * MP game setup screen provides options to Add Human Player, customize names, etc.
    * Game tries to force completion of player-turns before Saving

Well, that's about all I can think of at this late (early) hour.
    Have fun - bvc

Comment

I need help!! Is there any way to play with more than 8 people in hot seat??? If anyone know, please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

WYB, as far as I know, 8 human players is the maximum you can have for PTW in MP, PBEM, & HotSeat.

You can edit the rules to have more AI civs, but the maximum for Human players is 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
          WYB, as far as I know, 8 human players is the maximum you can have for PTW in MP, PBEM, & HotSeat.

You can edit the rules to have more AI civs, but the maximum for Human players is 8.
          can you edit said rules to have more than normal AI civs in MP (TCP/IP or Gamespy)?
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Uber, I haven't tried it myself...but I can't see why not. Of course, if you edit the rules - all players in the MP game has to also have the same rules edited...at least that's my take on it, but like I've said, I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Thanks for the help, but where do you go to change the rules for the max computer players?

Comment

You have to modify it though the Civ Editor, which is basically building a scenario with the additional AI players allowed.
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Working...
                X