Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More good news in the world... Mystery bug doctor dies

From BBC

The World Health Organisation expert who first identified the mystery pneumonia that has claimed dozens of lives has himself died of the disease, the UN agency has announced.

Dr Carlo Urbani, a 46-year-old Italian and an expert on communicable diseases, had identified Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in an American businessman admitted to hospital in Vietnam in February. ...
    Bad enough, but it gets worse...

However in China, where the outbreak has killed at least 30 people, the communist regime is enforcing a media blackout, apparently concerned that news of the disease will cause panic.

Chinese authorities have come under widespread fire for their secretive handling of SARS.

They have continued to stall on granting permission for a group of WHO doctors to visit the south of the country, where China's first cases of the virus appeared.
    Let's deal with a problem by preventing people from knowing about it or talking about it... la de da de da...
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Re: More good news in the world... Mystery bug doctor dies

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
    Let's deal with a problem by preventing people from knowing about it or talking about it... la de da de da...

Sometimes I think that China is on the path to Superpower status, but other times........

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

12 Monkeys.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

bu huu... now that sounds scary some weird times ahead if this disease spreads as it could.
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Well, we would have to wait for more cases in places like Canada or Europe to give it "12 monkey" status.

This does make it cloear our battle with illness is far from won, if ever.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

12 monkeys. that was a great movie.

But indeed, as disturbing as it seems, fortunately, it is has not spread to far and wide. *knocks on wood*
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Fortunately, this illness is far to be as contagious as the 12 Monkeys one. However, it's still very dangerous.
              "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

Hasn't someone in Swansea died of it?

Comment

on the "plus" side, natural population control in china.... although i'm sure the families of the deceased would not agree
                  I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

china already has population control

the millions of babies aborted

and the ratio of men to women

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

key word,

natural population control
                      I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Here's a pretty comprehensive article, with focus on the US (it being Atlanta, and all)...

China decides to help track the disease, but then puts it on hold for several days while they install an electronic tracking system.

Luckily, the CDC likely will have an antibody detector to isolate real cases of the disease.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

natural population control
                          That's the most piss-poor argument I heard for quite some time. so this is better than controlled child-birth, because it's natural? Would you prefer the epidemic to work as population control, or the governmental program? Remember, the governmental program is not natural! It doesn't create sickness and suffering!

"Help me, I am dying"
                          "Don't worry, Honey, It's only natural."
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yeesh. From the article, it sounds like Metro Toronto isn't a happy place to be right now. Two hospitals closed, three under restricted movement, all volunteer, patient transfer, and visitor programmes shut down.

Oh, and thousands of people under quarantine.

*scratches off Hong Kong, Guangzhou, and Chinatown Toronto from visitation list*
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

It kills about 4% of its victims. While high, it's not in the 1918 Flu/Bubonic Plague range. Like the 1918 flu, however, it seems to be targetting adults. Well, ain't **** I can do about it so
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X