Airlifting (or not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airlifting (or not)

After sending an expeditionary force with a worker to another hostile continent and securing a small city, I promptly set up an airbase nearby. Having many bases and airports on my continent (20+) meant that I could easily reinforce my position with that many units per turn.

So I approached my strategic command and ordered them to ship the heavy armour to the new front. No problem. I then thought I would need some artillery and cruise missiles.... well... they said to contact the Navy. I got a bit miffed at this point and shot my advisors.

Why the hell can you not airlift artillery? I may be wrong but I don't see it being a problem in the real world, not to mention cruise missiles.

================

Before you all say it, yes I know I can edit the rules and will do so, but I would like to see if anyone else knows the reason for these decisions my the programmers.

Non-combat units cannot be airlifted. Also included are workers and settlers (the important stuff). Game-wise, you need to maintain a reason to have a navy. It would really be a shame if you could just do away with your navy altogether.

Personally, I have removed the airlift flag from tanks, panzer & modern armor.

Comment

Airlift is kind of unbalancing. A better idea would be to have a C-130 unit, which transports all kinds of units across, say 20 tiles.
      ==========================
      www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

I would go a step ahead and say that there should be a C-130-type unit for all air transportation and air drops.

You could have a plane like that which you can load with a certain number of units (say 4) and move them from city to city (air transport) or paratroppers and airdrop them within a certain distance. Paratroopers of course would be the only unit able to airdrop, but not on their own (as it is now), but through a transport plane. I think that is more realistic and would make the game more interesting.

Comment

Hmm. I'm pretty sure that I have airlifted massive amounts of artillery in PTW. The only units that I am sure that's 'unliftable' are settlers, workers, leaders and armies.
          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Paratrooper should come with their own plane. That is, every paratrooper unit has a plane attached to it. (so we don't need to build it separately etc), we just add the plane in the animation, to make it look like paratrooper get to their destination by a plane.
            In my own game, I take the airlift ability away from all units but foot soliders (infantry, rifleman, that's about it I think). Everything else needs my newly created C-130 Air Transport. But the Rebase command doesn't come with a animation, I really wanna see my C-130 take off and land. oh well.,,,
            ==========================
            www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
              Hmm. I'm pretty sure that I have airlifted massive amounts of artillery in PTW. The only units that I am sure that's 'unliftable' are settlers, workers, leaders and armies.
              Then you must be playing a mod where the airlift for artillery has been approved
              badams

Comment

Eh, I played with a brain-mod called 'foggy memory'

You're right(of course) artillery can't be airlifted.
                Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Dida's C-130 unit fulfills the same utility that now exists with only the intermediate step of building a new unit. I like Constantine XV's range adapted C-130 idea better. Perhaps gaining this unit at FLIGHT with a transport capacity of 2 units and gaining a C5A at ADVANCED FLIGHT transporting 4 units.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                  X