Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YOUR GALCIV REVIEW (Yin's "Incredible GalCiv Rating Machine"!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOUR GALCIV REVIEW (Yin's "Incredible GalCiv Rating Machine"!)

--added by markg---

You can now post your GalCiv review in the Directory!

Feel free to include the Yin formula score below or just post your opinion

--------------------------

I developed a similar scheme to the one below for reviewing Civ3 months ago. To my way of thinking, you need only to look at the Gamespot score for GalCiv to see that in Gameplay, Value and Tilt all got 9's, but since sound and graphics were rated lower, the final score is just 8.4.

Well, what if sound and graphics don't really matter to you? What if what you *really* want is great gameplay and value? Well, then, *your* score of the game would be much higher.

In that spirit, I offer you Yin's Incredible GalCiv Rating Machine! Just select the answers below that matches most closely how you feel on various parts of gaming. Keep a running score. At the end, you'll be magically told whether or not GalCiv is going to be your cup of inter-galactic tea!

Please post your results and tell me how full of B.S. (or how right on target) I am.

[Disclaimer: For entertainment purposes only. Neither Yin Co. or its subsidiaries, wholly or partially owned, bear any responsibility for your decisions regarding a purchase of GalCiv!]

AI:

[-2] I don't really like a challenge in my games. I play to win -- easily-- without having to invest time in analyzing all the nuances and such..
    [-1] I am not a hard-core gamer in this respect and would likely find even lower-level AI just fine.
    [0] A game's AI is important, but as long as it's adequate to challenge me for a few weeks, that's fine.
    [+1] A strong AI is crucial, though I know well that eventually I'll find ways to beat it.
    [+2] I want an AI that will continue to crush me no matter what human strategies evolve over the next several months.

STRATEGY/TACTICS

[-2] If I can't outfit my ships and control the tactical playing field, I don't see the point.
    [-1] I like strategic thinking but also want the challenge of tactics brought to bear.
    [0] I'm content to take whatever the designers give me with no real preference for strategic v. tactical demands.
    [+1] I'd really rather not bother with tactical considerations that involve great investments in time to, for example, outfit my ships or control them minutely in battle. Rather, let me focus on the bigger strategic picture.
    [+2] I want it all! Superb strategy AND superb tactical options.

INTERFACE

[-2] An interface that requires more than a click or two isn't worth using.
    [-1] If there are more than a few extra clicks involved where they needn't be, I'd likely become annoyed over time.
    [0] As long as I can figure it out, I'm fine.
    [+1] I willing to work through a few annoyances, but the overall UI experience needs to be one in which I have quick access to the information/buttons that matter most to gameplay.
    [+2] I need a UI that never makes me search for anything.

GRAPHICS

[-2] I have the latest video card for a reason.
    [-1] I can put up with dated graphics, but it will certainly drop my interest level no matter what.
    [0] Clean graphics are all I need.
    [+1] I enjoy some nice eye candy, but as long as the graphics don't hinder gameplay, I'm happy.
    [+2] The graphics should completely immerse me in the experience, almost as if I were there!

SOUND/MUSIC

[-2] I have a killer 5+1 speaker system for a reason.
    [-1] Weak approximations of sounds and repeating tracks annoy me to some degree.
    [0] Serviceable is fine.
    [+1] I need at least some decent sounds/music in my games, though eventually I'd probably play my own music.
    [+2] I'd like the sounds and music to be so good that I'd almost play the game for no other reason but to hear them!

MULTI-PLAYER

[-2] Without it, count me out.
    [-1] I'd give it a try without multiplayer, but I'd likely stop playing soon in any event
    [0] I just want to play!
    [+1] If the AI is good enough, I could care less about multiplayer.
    [+2] The AI and multiplayer experience should be equally strong, so much so you can hardly tell the two experiences apart.

PACING

[-2] I don't think turn-based games will ever achieve the pacing I need.
    [-1] If I discipline myself, I can work through the slow parts, but it is something of a burden.
    [0] A mix of slow and fast-paced moments is fine.
    [+1] I like most every turn to involve an important decision of some kind, though I understand there will be stretches of build up between tense action.
    [+2] Each and every turn should keep me on the edge of my seat!

BUGS/SUPPORT

[-2] Computer gaming companies should be held accountable for supporting their games, and I'll return a game at the first sign of a problem in this area. Further, I refuse to download large fixes or updates.
    [-1] When I see a bug or lacking content that I feel should have been included, I give the developer a few weeks to fix it, though it annoys me to have to download this stuff after I've already paid my money. In the end, if the process drags, I move on.
    [0] All games have bugs and lacking features to some degree or another.
    [+1] I want the out-of-the-box experience to be as problem-free and complete as possible, but I also expect the developer to address problems and periodically release fresh content at no charge in a timely manner over some weeks and months.
    [+2] Great games should not only have *no* bugs, but the subsequently released updates should make the gaming experience as new and exciting as the first few days of play!

_____

[-16 to -9]: Run, don't walk from GalCiv. In fact, strongly consider dropping your interest in this genre (and maybe computer games in general) because it obviously causes you too many hard feelings when things don't match your expectations.

[-8 to -2]: GalCiv will have just enough annoyances to you that there's a good chance its place on your computer will be short. At times it will be an enjoyable experience, but at other times you'll have a sinking feeling that you should have spent your money on something else.

[-1 to +1]: GalCiv will neither disappoint nor inspire you. Chances are you'll have it on your hard drive a good long while, but you won't find yourself particular eager to load it up each day, and other games will increasingly take more of your time. No harm no foul.

[+2 to +14]: Congratulations! GalCiv is absolutely bound to be a wonderful experience for you. No doubt you will be playing this game and enjoying the updates for months and months. While it might be too early to say, there's every reason to believe you'll be using "GalCiv" in your conversations years from now just like you might now with
    MOO 1 and 2.

[+15 to +16]: Please sell me a ticket to the planet you live on! In your world, game developers are Uber Gods capable of programming stuff that's barely below the Essence of Life itself...
    Last edited by MarkG; March 29, 2003, 13:26.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

AI:

[-1] I am not a hard-core gamer in this respect and would likely find even lower-level AI just fine.

STRATEGY/TACTICS

[0] I'm content to take whatever the designers give me with no real preference for strategic v. tactical demands.

INTERFACE

[+1] I willing to work through a few annoyances, but the overall UI experience needs to be one in which I have quick access to the information/buttons that matter most to gameplay.

GRAPHICS

[0] Clean graphics are all I need.

SOUND/MUSIC

[0] Serviceable is fine.

MULTI-PLAYER

[+1] If the AI is good enough, I could care less about multiplayer.

PACING

[+1] I like most every turn to involve an important decision of some kind, though I understand there will be stretches of build up between tense action.

BUGS/SUPPORT

[-2] Computer gaming companies should be held accountable for supporting their games, and I'll return a game at the first sign of a problem in this area. Further, I refuse to download large fixes or updates.

---
    i rated a 0
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I require little except that the game be bug free and have decisions to make on each turn
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

AI: +2 I don't play multiplayer in games because I don't have either the processing power or patience to do it. I want to be able to play a game that wasn't skimped in AI just because "You can play other people for a real challenge!" That's a cop-out. I'm glad GalCiv was designed solely for a great singleplayer experience.
        Strategy/Tactics: +1 I'm a big picture kind of guy,and I've always prefered games where I don't need to get bogged down in little things. I like games from Paradox and such more because of this.
        User Interface: 0 I really don't care what I need to do to get something done as long as it even slightly makes sense.
        Graphics: +1 I use a dated computer anyway, so this isn't too big a deal for me either way. As long as they aren't plain ugly and they don't bog my comp down, I don't mind.
        Sound: 0 Don't care whatsoever. I ususally play with sound off and my own music on.
        Multi-player: +2 See AI comment above.
        Pacing: +1 Games should never get boring, or what is the point? I want challenge, though I'm realistic and know I'll never fear for every single turn. Events alone should keep things mixed up though.
        Bugs/Support: +1 No game will be bug free, but I expect an effort to keep them at bay. And I'll never complain about new free stuff.

Overall: +8. Hey, did I pass?
        Had the game for the past day, and loved every second of it. I would recommend it to anyone.
        A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
        -V. I. Lenin

Comment

Originally posted by PriestOfDiscord
          AI: +2 I don't play multiplayer in games because I don't have either the processing power or patience to do it. I want to be able to play a game that wasn't skimped in AI just because "You can play other people for a real challenge!" That's a cop-out. I'm glad GalCiv was designed solely for a great singleplayer experience.
          Strategy/Tactics: +1 I'm a big picture kind of guy,and I've always prefered games where I don't need to get bogged down in little things. I like games from Paradox and such more because of this.
          User Interface: 0 I really don't care what I need to do to get something done as long as it even slightly makes sense.
          Graphics: +1 I use a dated computer anyway, so this isn't too big a deal for me either way. As long as they aren't plain ugly and they don't bog my comp down, I don't mind.
          Sound: 0 Don't care whatsoever. I ususally play with sound off and my own music on.
          Multi-player: +2 See AI comment above.
          Pacing: +1 Games should never get boring, or what is the point? I want challenge, though I'm realistic and know I'll never fear for every single turn. Events alone should keep things mixed up though.
          Bugs/Support: +1 No game will be bug free, but I expect an effort to keep them at bay. And I'll never complain about new free stuff.
          Wow, that is my results exactly.

Comment

AI: +1
            Strategy/Tactics: -1
            Interface: +1
            Graphics: +1
            Sound/Music: 0
            Multi-Player: +2
            Pacing: +1
            Bugs: 0
            ------------------------
            Total: 5

Hmm, guess I should try it. I'll probably wait to see how I like the MOO3 patch, though.

Comment

AI +2
              S/T 0
              IFC -2
              GPH 0
              MSC 0
              MPL +1
              PCN 0
              BGS +1
              --------------
              TTL = 2

GalCiv = as I imaginated...
              Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

Cool stuff.

Although, the Graphics section is a bit odd. I question the assumption that wanting the graphics to fully immerse you in the game is diametrically opposite to "having the latest video card for a reason".

I my score was 1, in the end, by the way.
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Overall for me: +3. I just need to know when GalCiv will be released in this forgotten place...
                  I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                  X