Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Rufus shave...Come back here! I didn't mean it literally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Rufus shave...Come back here! I didn't mean it literally!

I know, I know: a boy is supposed to learn to shave at his father's side. And I did, but Dad was an electric razor man, and that's what I've been using for the last 25 years. But on a recent trip to the States I forgot my razor, and had to buy disposable blades and some shaving cream and do it the old fashioned way. Now I'm hooked, but perplexed. Are you really supposed to use a disposable once and throw it away? Even those expensive triple-balde disposables? If not, how long are they good for? Do you really need after-shave? Can something like the Gilette Mach3, which seems to combine expensiveness and wastefulness in an extremely counter-intuitive fashion, really be worth it?

Please, I'm begging. Help make a man out of me.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

No idea. I am using a Gilette Sensor Excel, but I usually use the blade for about at least 10 times before I consider throwing it away. I also have a bottle of aftershave that I rarely use.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Generally speaking, once the bloody thing gets so hopelessly clogged with bristle that I can't use it anymore, I pitch it, and not before...but then again, I'm cheap. As for aftershave, well, try going without it and see for yourself. If your face feels like you've been using sandpaper as a washcloth, you need aftershave. It depends how rough you are on your own face, to some extent what shaving cream you are using, and so on.
      On an off-note, where'd you get the name from? I've seen it once before as a pseudonym in the Washington Post's Style Invitational contest, but I'm guessing you don't get that out in Turkey.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Elok- It's the name of Groucho Marx's character in "Duck Soup."
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The Mach3 works well!

You can use the things for quite a while if you keep them unclogged. A quick couple of slaps through running water does the trick. Just figure out the proper angle to do it or you'll flip gunk all over the walls.

I often use a single 'disposable' head for 30-40 uses. Not that I actually shave anymore...

Comment

I use Gillette sensor excell, they work well for me. I change blades every couple of weeks. Just make sure you rinse the stubble out of the blade as you go.

I've never used aftershave, and I haven't used shaving cream in about 10 years. I find hair conditioner works beautifully as a replacement for shaving cream.
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

How did you find out?
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Ran out of shaving cream one day, and had to make do with what I had on hand.
                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Did you just try random things?

Comment

yeah a mach-3 is great, you can use it about 30-40x before you have to change the blade. i forgot to bring it up with me when i came back to swansea, so i've been using bic razors, they're ****ing leathal.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I tried regular soap (works, but not very well) and then conditioner. That worked, so I stopped experimenting.

Comment

I am a greedy bastars, and I use the same disposable for several months. The shave remains good after 5-10 uses, depending on how much hairs are in your blade.
                        Mach3 rules.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The more expensive blades are ok for 5-10 times, roughly. Then they start dragging the hair rather than cutting it, which is extremely ouch esp. on the upper lip. Depends on the beard growth and skin sensitivity, obviously.

The cheaper ones get useless much faster. As for whether it's worth it, I guess you'll have to run an experiment of your own.
                          “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

One thing to watch out for, is as the blade dulls, you will find yourself changing your shaving style (speed, angle, pressure, etc)to get the same results. If you then switch to a new blade without remembering to use a lighter touch, you will end up using more tissue paper than usual.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I use a Gillette Trak II, nothing fancy.

Rinse it after every use, change it once a month, and it works fine. No aftershave needed.
                              Old posters never die.
                              They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Working...
                              X