Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most intelligent Australians and Britons now support the war.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most intelligent Australians and Britons now support the war.

New Australian poll shows majority now favour war

CANBERRA, March 25 (Reuters) - The number of Australians supporting the U.S.-led war against Iraq outweigh the opponents for the first time after a change in sentiment as the conflict began last week, according to an opinion poll on Tuesday.

The Newspoll survey of 1,200 people in The Australian newspaper found support for military action to disarm Iraqi President Saddam Hussein rose to 50 percent as war began from 45 percent, with more backing from women, younger people and opposition Labor supporters.

The number opposing Australia's involvement in the war, with 2,000 Australian military personnel now in action in the Gulf, fell to 42 percent in the March 21-23 survey from 47 percent in a similar poll conducted on the eve of the conflict.

But the leader of the left-leaning Greens Party, Bob Brown, a leading anti-war campaigner, said not too much significance should be placed on the latest poll with daily protests against the conflict continuing around the country.

"If the battle doesn't go right, that support will fall away very quickly," Brown told reporters.

The turnaround in sentiment is mirrored in polling in Britain where there was a large swing in opinion as the conflict began on March 20, with 54 percent of Britons now approving of the war.

U.S. President George W. Bush has the support of his nation for the military conflict that has divided world opinion.

The Newspoll survey found the change in Australians' sentiment had also boosted the standing of Prime Minister John Howard and his conservative government which has consistently led in the polls since winning a third term in government in 2001.

Sixty percent of 1,150 respondents chose Howard as preferred prime minister, up from 51 percent in a poll a week earlier, and his coalition government had 45 percent support compared to Labor's 34 percent. The next election is due by early 2005.

Support for Labor leader Simon Crean, who is struggling to gain traction with voters, fell again with only 19 percent of respondents choosing him as preferred leader, down from 22 percent, and 58 percent dissatisfied with his performance.

=======================

I threw in the "intelligent" part for effect.

we already knew this

Comment

50/50 support is not strong support.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

It's better than 40/60 support

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
          I knew this would drag you in Horse. You are so predictable...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
            Is Australias population now 1,200?
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Compare that to the 75% support well before the war if the UN agreed with the invasion.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hardly dragged in - but to say support has just staggered over 50% is nothing to cheer about. Still a very disturbingly low level of support.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

I have to agree, 50/50 is very bad for the start of the war. I expect it to drop even further once young Aussies and Brits start returning home in body bags.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Under Democracy, War Weariness actually has a positive effect on happiness. However, it doesn't last long. You can expect some revolts in Australian size 12+ cities in the future, if the war lasts as much.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Aussies? They aren't in combat zones are they? They are supporting us, but I didn't think they were in direct combat.

And Spiff. We are after the year 2000. I'm sure we can go at least 10 turns. That is 10 years.

So I think we can handle 10 more years of war.

Comment

Yeah, our SAS captured a couple of airfields in the Western desert and secured oil wells in the South. They also destroyed a missile launcher. The Australian navy intercepted a tug with 67 mines on board and naval forces clearing the Shat al Arab waterway are under Australian command. The airforce Hornets have been doing tactical bombing. Australian landing craft were used around Um Qasr.

Comment

Aussies have size +12 cities? I thought they all lived in the outback, drank fosters, and played with kangaroos and dingos.
                          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

We have 150 SAS deep in "enemy-held" territory, spotting targets and such.
                            Our obsolete navy was also involved with land-bombardment.

And no Aussie drinks Fosters - theres a reason why we ship it out of Australia to other countries.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Intelligent Australian? An oxymoron. Ask any NZer.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X