GS & GoW: new and exciting possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS & GoW: new and exciting possibilities

During the chat, the representatives of GoW have explained that they will be very interested in these deals:

1. Iron: GoW doesn't have iron at the moment. There's an iron tile that's too near ND territory, and they remember what happened the last time someone settled too close to ND. They would be very interested in an iron supply from GS that would last only a few turns, so that they could upgrade their units. They are building a harbor, and if we build a harbor as well, and one of us discovers a sea route to the other civ's harbor, then they'll be willing to pay us money for a few turns' supply of iron.
    The only way they can discover a sea route to us would be by sending a galley to our shores - but then we would lose much of our secrecy regarding our lands and such. If we're going to strike such a deal anyway, we might as well swap world maps with GoW. We can get some benefit out of this as well, by telling GoW that in addition to forwarding some sort of monetary payment for our iron, they will also be obliged to send their galleys to explore Vox and RP from the sea and then send their new world map, so that in return for our world map, we would get a large up-to-date map of the northern half of Bob, what's visible of the southern half of Bob from the shore and what's visible of Vox's lands from the shore.

2. Intelligence: GoW are very interested in Vox. I suggested that we provide them with intelligence of Vox (e.g. how many and what kinds of Voxian troops we can see, how many of their iron sources have they connected, what do the Voxian lands that we can see look like etc'), and they reacted excitedly. We may be able to get some nice sums of gold in return for details of Vox's doings.

3. Defense: GoW are afraid that Vox might attack them. That is, they are confident that they could handle Vox, but they fear that ND or RP might take advantage of this and open another front, which GoW won't be able to handle. I proposed that GS might be willing to sign a deal in which we would attack Vox in case Vox attacked GoW, in order to distract Vox's attack and allow GoW to concentrate on their other fronts, and they showed a great interest. Perhaps we can sign a gpt for defense deal with GoW, where as long as they continue to pay us a certain sum of gpt, we will guarantee that they will not be bothered by Vox's front. I think we can benefit greatly from this deal - though I would not suggest that we sign anything of this nature before we get Vox's free early medieval tech. Afterwards, however, we can attack Vox with little to no regret, and if we get paid a lot of gold for this, then that's very welcome!

Opinions, comments, suggestions?
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

PROBLEM !

According to Hot_Enamel, Vox have landed a settler, a spearman and two immortals on Bob.

13:30 GMT+2:00, an urgently-requested private chat with Hot_Enamel:

[13:23] Shiber: what did you want to talk about?
    [13:23] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: Thanks for last night
    [13:23] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: Vox
    [13:23] Shiber: anything in particular?
    [13:23] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: Yep
    [13:23] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: You said you would help us out if they did anything stupid
    [13:24] Shiber: no, we said we might
    [13:24] Shiber: there are two possibilities:
    [13:24] Shiber: 1. helping you out with money - this shouldn't be a problem, presented to the team. they would surely approve it.
    [13:24] Shiber: 2. helping you out by going to war with vox - this is a totally different issue.
    [13:24] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: OK -
    [13:24] Shiber: we've discussed the possibility where we would sign a treaty obliging us to attack vox in case they attacked you
    [13:25] Shiber: i recently posted a description of that possibility to the GS forum. it is pending discussion
    [13:25] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: What is the feeling ?
    [13:25] Shiber: all i can promise is that i'd do my best to promote such deals
    [13:25] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: There may be a problem
    [13:25] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: I got the sav file ND a few hours ago
    [13:25] Shiber: Hot_Enamel[GoW], i can't tell you yet, since i've posted my summary of the chat about 20 minutes ago and no replies have yet been posted
    [13:26] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: Vox have landed 2 immortals 1 spearman & a settler have landed on Bob
    [13:26] Shiber: EEK
    [13:26] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: I am the only member of GoW who knows this
    [13:26] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: And am posting possible responses
    [13:26] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: They have not created a city yet
    [13:26] Shiber: please delay the save as much as possible and GS will discuss this and see what we can do to help
    [13:27] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: We will obviously do this
    [13:27] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: Do you have neough influence to tell them to send the settler back ?
    [13:27] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: Your opinion only
    [13:28] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: I understand your teams needs to discus
    [13:28] Shiber: we'll see what we can do
    [13:28] Shiber: i'm posting to the GS forum as we speak
    [13:28] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: If we war with Vox, we will take the war to their homeland
    [13:28] Shiber: i'm sure we can send an unpleasant message to Vox, though
    [13:29] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: That would be good
    [13:29] Shiber: Hot_Enamel[GoW], may I post our chat log to the GS public forum?
    [13:30] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: Sure - just remember - this is my opinion - not an official GoW response
    [13:30] Shiber: can i have a screenshot of the site of Vox's landing and its surroundings?
    [13:30] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: GF and the rest of the US members will be up soon I guess.
    [13:31] Shiber: particularly, one that shows the distance between the nearest GoW city to the landing zone
    [13:31] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: I wont do that - But I will pressure our team to send you it
    [13:31] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: I dont think GF & team would have a problem
    [13:33] Hot_Enamel[GoW]: Thats about it for me - I need to post in our forum as well
    This is BAD for us. If GoW and Vox go to war, and ND and/or RP won't open additional fronts for GoW, then GoW will take the war to Vox's homeland (and we don't want them conquering any Vox cities, since we want them to ourselves). If RP and ND take advantage of this and open additional fronts, GoW could lose, and we'd be left with a much more powerful ND and RP to deal with.
    However, if we dismay Vox from attacking GoW, telling them that if they do so, we will take serious steps, even go to war with them, then GoW will be forever in our debt, and I'm sure they would grant us a very large sum of money to thank us for saving them.

GoW are holding the save, but they can't hold it for over than 24 hours. If we hold the save as well, we'd have a little more than two days to discuss this - but let's reach a decision as quickly as we can.
    This is serious!
    - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

We don't want GoW fighting back and taking any land on our continent.
      On the other hand, it would be nice if Vox and GoW fought a long and drawn out attritional war on Bob - thus weakening them both. I can't see that happening, though.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I wouldn't like to see GoW weakened. ND and RP would surely take advantage of this and take a chunk out of GoW's territory.
        We GOTTA help GoW somehow. It's in our best interest.

I suggest that we send Vox an unpleasant diplomatic message, informing them that we were not pleased to hear that they invaded territory claimed by our friends GoW, and that we would take serious steps should they go to war with GoW. Additionally, I suggest that we move our WCs to the north, into Vox's field of view. We may also want to connect our iron and upgrade some warriors.
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Are Vox actually in GoW territory? Or are they just in unclaimed land on Bob?

Comment

I don't mind this to be honest.

Now Vox could have their GA while fighting GoW and not us.
            -
            Could help us getting a foothold on Bob
            -
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I'm going to ask Hot_Enamel in the chatroom how many tiles are there between Vox's landing site and GoW's nearest city (so that if Vox decides to send its troops immediately and attack GoW, how many turns it would take them to get to GoW's nearest city).
              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Surprise chat in #private. If you want to participate, log onto the IRC server and send me a message so that I could invite you into the channel.
                - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Present in the chat are:
                  Hot_Enamel, Zeit, FrustratedPoet, Aeson and myself.
                  GhengisFarb was here earlier and left angrily; IMHO he was nervous, and left because he felt that GoW was at a disadvantage in this chat.
                  - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Either I'm lagging terribly bad in chat, or nothing is going on... I caught a bit of it so far though.

1. I don't think Vox has Iron up north. Why waste a worker building a colony in the least defensible position in your empire?

2. We definitely should talk to RP and ND (if they talk) about how they feel about Vox's landing. GoW's claim that BOB will unite over this sounds rather absurd, why should RP care if Vox gets some of GoW's and/or ND's land?

Comment

Definitely. Diplo messages to ND and RP immediately!
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I certainly agree with your 2nd point. They might see it as an opportunity IMO.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Alva is in the chatroom.
                          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Screenshot. Woohoo!

- Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Interesting unit graphics mods there.

I tried those multi-unit things once, but they got very annoying after a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X