Stubbing fingers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubbing fingers...

My fingers have been stubbed a million times playing basketball and I always meant to ask... exactly what is wrong with my fingers when they get stubbed? The first digit gets swollen and my finger is not fully moveable but exactly what goes on in my fingers? Is there any risk of permanent damage (stubbing fingers is weekly for me)?

thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Anything repetively done like that can't be good.
    They'll weaken and it will happen even more frequently.

Just a layman's opinion.
    I'm sure Sava The Ass will come in now to correct me, but then you'll at least have the proper answer.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Anyways Speer... when something get's swollen, it's your body protecting injury and healing. Stubbing is generally harmless, but if you get significant swelling, I'd seek the opinion of somebody in the field of sports medicine.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What did I tell you, Albert ?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I only commented in this thread because I love you SLowwyPIE!
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

i'd done that several times to various fingers during high school (only one since then, apparently i learned how to catch properly after that ), and the school nurse called them sprains. immobilization and ice worked well for healing and reducing the swelling.

no significant ill effects 12 years later, but it sounds like you're getting more repeat injuries than i did, so your mileage may vary
            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

What is the best way to treat a jammed finger and how long does it take for one to fully heal?

The term jammed finger generally refers to an end-on injury suffered while playing basketball. When a ball bounces off the rim or an individual reaches for a rebound, the end of a finger sometimes hits against the descending ball, causing a sudden, lengthwise compression injury. Even the mildest finger jams are extremely painful, and can result in swelling in the mid-portion of the finger.

Immediate treatment for a jammed finger should include ice and elevation. As the initial pain subsides, an athlete can try to gently move the finger. If the injury is a minor, the finger will gradually move with less and less discomfort. However, if the finger cannot move or movement worsens the pain, an individual should have an x-ray immediately. The x-ray will determine the position of the injured joint and whether or not a fracture has occurred.

The majority of jammed fingers heal completely when no fractures or dislocations are present. However, it often takes months for pain to disappear completely, and the injured joint may always be larger than those of uninjured fingers. Moving the finger as much as possible and as quickly as possible is the best way to help the finger heal.

If a fracture may have occurred or the joint integrity seems challenged, consult a physician familiar with hand problems. Accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment are important steps to an excellent recovery.

Comment

Sava, don't mess with Texas.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I've had worse on my eyeball.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    I've had worse on my eyeball.
                    You play basketball with your eyeballs????
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

thank you. i usually start moving it a lot after a finger gets jammed so good i was doing what i was supposed to without knowing. but i get this way too much... i better learn how to catch properly
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

All my middle knuckles are bigger. I know exactly what you're talking about.

In fact, my left little goes outward at a 30 degree angle or so.
                        Not jammed, pulled out of place.
                        I set as well as possible at the time.

And Hueij? Be quiet.
                        Last edited by SlowwHand; March 20, 2003, 18:27.

Comment

And Hueij? Be quiet.

Sorry momma...
                          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                          And notifying the next of kin
                          Once again...

Comment

In fact, my left little goes outward at a 30 degree angle or so
                            Sorry for waking an relatively old thread, but... 'goes' or 'is'?

Comment

Working...
                            X