X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Ideas

Faction idea.

Faction: Rainbow Warriors
    Gaian splinter group, with militaristic focus. (Think Greenpeace...)

Planet: +1
    Morale: +1
    Support: +1
    Industry: -1
    Research: -1

is intent on not letting Planet be destroyed like Earth was. Working with the Planet requires passive and unobtrusive methods, but dealing with humans requires direct and sometime hostile interaction.
    The Rainbow Warriors take thier name from a famous ship an Earth environmental activist group used in the 20th century. With this ship they took the battle for the salvation of earth's ecosystem to the descecrators.
    sees the attempts that were made as the model, but is convinced they did not escalate the engagement enough.

This faction is intent on projecting thier views on all of planet, hence the Support bonus. They feel they are the might of Planet and are prepared to defend Planet with their life (+1 Morale).
    Due to the number of member of the faction involved abroad Industry and Research tends to lag.

...Dalton

I like 'em! I think a lot of people would be inclined to say that the -1 Research AND -1 Industry is too big a penalty, but I think that with an extra starting tech or some other smallish advantage, it could work out very well indeed!
    -=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Just had another idea, when I went for coffee!

Founder: Elron Hobbart
      Faction: Church of Pure Thought

The founder of the Church of Pure Thought isn't your typical founder of a religion. Instead of a true beliver, he is actually a shrewd business man who is leveraging the common persons need for belief in something greater than themselves into an amazing marketing strategy.

Commerce: +1 (focus is to make money)
      Probe: +1 (lots of 'marketing' research)
      Planet: -1 (Like Miriam, sees Planet as 'the promised land')
      Support: -1 (Not overtly militaristic)

Comment

Ha!

My comments are not included in the text! Netscape is reading my comments as html...

Don't use less than and greater than symbols to delineate personal comments. (The PBEM I belonged to used that convention...)

For the Rainbow Warriors I did not include a faction leader name. The sentences that don't seem to start correctly should have [fill in leaders name here] at the beginning of the sentence.
        I was contemplating increasing the negative modifiers for the Rainbow Warriors. The Support can offset the Industry effects if you have a large army. The Planet and Moral modifiers make the faction a very strong military at the beginning, which is offset by a long term Research penalty.
        The Planet and Moral modifiers are similar to combining the advantages of Deidre and Miriam. [shiver!]

...Dalton

Comment

I agree with your assessment, and a GREAT word play on the second faction w/ the leader name! LOL

-=Vel=-
          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I gotta get some work done today, this is my last idea for now!

Cyborgs/Intelligent Robots

Dr. Otto Maton is a brilliant scientist with a big problem. He is afflicted with one of the very few degenerative diseases that 21st century medicine can not cure. Dr. Maton's last hope is to construct a new body for himself. With this goal in mind he has relentlessly pursued robotics and human-machine interfaces.
            (the story goes here and there...)
            Dr. Maton now is the cybernetic leader of a mostly robot faction. The few humans that live in this society are heavily 'enhanced' to facilitate interaction with thier robot worker/warriors.

I'm not really happy with the pros/cons of the cyborgs. Suggestions?

Research: -2 (very few human to do research)
            Morale: +2
            Police: +2 (robots don't revolt...)
            Industry: +2 (no unions, work 24 hours a day)
            Commerce: -1
            Starts with a robotics tech (not sure which)
            SE choices servely limited:
            can not choose: Democratic, Free market, Green, Police State, Wealth, Eudimonia (sp?)

...Dalton

Comment

Random Ideas

Just a free-form place for jotting down some ideas that might be cool for new factions, new "home made" landmarks and stuff like that.....I've been kinda thinking about updating the splinter factions I made earlier, and adding seven more to them.....gotta keep up with the Firaxins, and all that....

Random thoughts, ideas, musings?

-=Vel=-

Comment

-----I would say that your research and morale penalties should be switched. While there aren't as many humans to do research, it seems like it takes an aweful lot of smarts to figure out how to put your body in a machine. The citizens can figure things out faster with their new brains. (Research+2)
                -----Once you made the switch however, they neglect to mention in their advertisements machines never sleep, so your always tired. They also haven't developed senses of touch and taste yet. It does make the nutrient paste you eat more palateable though. Oh, thanks to tabacco industry coverups they inject you with a constant supply of Nicotine which not only eases your body transformation, but cements the dependancy on the implants. (Morale-2)
                -----Beginning facility: A genejack factory which would follow your "work 24hrs a day" idea. Even though they have long work hrs, they are tired, therefore they are slow workers. (Industry+0 or -1) will balance the new factories.
                -----SE Choices: Even though they are slow workers, robot people like order and neatness. Their tools and offices are neatly organized. So they get Green for the efficentcy. They don't like to waste space so they build upwards, not outwards with thier buildings resulting in planet not being as upset. Police for the disipline, and FM for creating a communication network where each individual can build his own website and sell books, Audio cassettes of Elron Hobbard, and naked pictures of Cindy Margollis.

Comment

Here is an idea for a sisters of jesus faction:
                  +1 ECONOMY: {Willinng sacrifice comfort for there beliefs}
                  -2 GROWTH: {Many young followers become atheists and do not follow there leader}
                  May noy use Power in Social Engineering: {Citizens try to obey commandments {"Thou Shalt Not Kill"}}
                  Mind Control Immunity: {Citizens strong in there beliefs}
                  Free Unity Rover at start: {Her Christian beliefs make it easy to brainwash people}
                  -1 MORALE: {Pacifist tendencies}
                  I also need some ideas for a military faction, of old war vetrans like names, modifiers, etc.
                  By the way Val can I have any of those factions on the genneral forums, I posted there but i dont know if you saw it. the addres is dheardie@hotmail.com

Comment

-2 GROWTH: {Many young followers become atheists and do not follow there leader}
                    May noy use Power in Social Engineering: {Citizens try to obey commandments {"Thou Shalt Not Kill"}}
                    Free Unity Rover at start: {Her Christian beliefs make it easy to brainwash people}
                    I also need some ideas for a military faction, of old war vetrans like names, modifiers, etc.
                    By the way Val can I have any of those factions on the genneral forums, I posted there but i dont know if you saw it. the addres is dheardie@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by compugasm on 10-21-1999 05:53 AM
                      -----I would say that your research and morale penalties should be switched. While there aren't as many humans to do research, it seems like it takes an aweful lot of smarts to figure out how to put your body in a machine. The citizens can figure things out faster with their new brains. (Research+2)
                      'snip' (Morale-2)
                      -----Beginning facility: A genejack factory which would follow your "work 24hrs a day" idea. Even though they have long work hrs, they are tired, therefore they are slow workers. (Industry+0 or -1) will balance the new factories.
                      -----SE Choices: Green
                      Police for the disipline,
                      FM for creating a communication network
                      Good comments.

I think we have slightly different visions on how the society functions. (which is fine) Here's some more ideas for discussion:

My view was that 90%+ of the population was robots, with various levels of intelligence. With only 10% of the population with human components.
                      Creativity and the drive for finding the unknown (what is needed for research) are human characteristics. I did not imagine that the robotic portion of the population would have these qualities.
                      With this is mind I felt that there would not be a lot of research, the societys workers would be semi-intelligent robots, and the military would be intelligent and loyal robots. Using these assumptions you can see where my faction modifiers come from.

What might be better:
                      - SE must be Cybernetic and they start with this SE choice.
                      - Reduce the other modifiers.
                      - +25 defensive bonus - steel bones are much harder to break...

...Dalton

Comment

With the believers already in the game, this faction does not make sense. I hate the Believers, I used to replace them with some other faction created, but, alas, I installed SMACX and now I have to play with them, bummer!
                        No offense I just would like some more original faction ideas. I am guilty too, I made a faction file about marijuana, and it has alreayd been done too.

Originally posted by heardie on 10-21-1999 08:30 AM

------------------

Comment

Dave you make a good point but this is for a Mod so there is no believers, and believe it (no pun intended) some people do like the believers,m myself included, for a good challenge

------------------

Comment

Hi all. This is my first post so please bear with me. I've been playing around with an idea for a new faction, maybe a splinter faction of the Believers. This faction is maybe something like a cross between the Hive and the Believers, like lots of government propaganda to control the people together with the beliefs of the Believers. No name yet but maybe you guys can help me think of one.

Game Specifics:
                            +2 Growth : Society encourages rapid growth
                            -2 Research : People suspicious of secular science
                            -1 Support : Cult-like society unable to support large standing army
                            Free REC COMMONS at every base : Citizens indoctrinated with government propaganda
                            Can exceed HAB COMPLEX limits by 2

Agenda : Thought Control
                            Aversion : Eudaimonia

Is this faction too strong? Too weak? Comments please. I'm STILL waiting for SMACX cos I live in Singapore and I have absolutely no idea when the game will be available here. Thanks for reading!

Comment

Hmm.. atheists crossed with hard-core christians? How?

Comment

Working...
                              X