Game Speeds....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Speeds....

Question to all you beta players out there, what speed do you perfer? I'm aware that there are a few speeds (norma, slow, fast, etc) to choose from.

Based on what i've heard about the game i'd probably pick slow. i'm a strategist at heart and speed-clicking is not my idea of a good time. It sounds like you have to manage all these cities (building upgrades at each, defences at each, maintaining armies all over the map for defence, researching different buildings, placing more resourses, creating your caravans, AND building yourself an army to attack with) AND fight the battle at the same time. For that i'd probably apreciate slow mode, i hope there's enough people willing to play that mode online :\
    Normal.
    61.90%
    Slow.
    9.52%
    Fast
    4.76%
    Withholding judgement till i play it.
    23.81%
    "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
    - UberKruX

personally, i like the challenge and skill-test of a faster game
    i voted normal

weird how u did put them in order though

Comment

While i like the added time for strategic moves and for the more leisure pace that slow speed offers, i don't like the fact that everything moves in slow-motion.

I would say... use normal, looks/feels the best.. and when you need to do some economic work or have a big battle... go slow or use the canon time (not tried that myself yet)

"That's not fair" i can hear people think, but who cares as long as you're having fun. Then again 99% of mp will probably be fully at normal speed.
      Last edited by CustodianV131; March 8, 2003, 17:00.

Comment

Normal is a good pace really, especially once you are familiar with the game (which I am NOT yet).

But don't be surprised if a lot of veteran RTS gamers are playing this on Fast a lot.

Comment

oh i forgot about the cannon time, that should be pretty cool. Does that freeze the game or slow it down? Don't remember....

Maybe normal with cannon time would be fine for online play.

I don't understand why people would want a fast game, it makes strategy less iportant than dextarity and clicking, and that isn't really fun IMHO.
          "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
          - UberKruX

Comment

I don't have the beta, but I guess I prefer it slow, since it requires more strategy, less click-click-attack ASAP...
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

But don't be surprised if a lot of veteran RTS gamers are playing this on Fast a lot.
              As a veteran (= old) RTS player, I can tell you I never play on fast in any game. Fast gameplay lags a lot in most games and it makes the game too 'messy', since you can't think anything through and make a lot of mistakes.
              Slow is not good either, it just looks and feels wrong, so my vote is for normal speed.

Comment

With the inclusion of cannon time i think normal should be fine. I was just concerned because it seemed like there was a lot going on at the same time. Such as when your in a battle but are also trying to throw up a new forward base to help the battle, or to build new econ at a new city because you need those resourses to support this massive battle. But this probably would only happen a few times in a match, for which cannon time is perfect.
                - UberKruX

Comment

Originally posted by Enriquillo
                  As a veteran (= old) RTS player, I can tell you I never play on fast in any game. Fast gameplay lags a lot in most games and it makes the game too 'messy', since you can't think anything through and make a lot of mistakes.
                  Interesting...I didn't realize this. Of course, I don't play on the fastest speeds, but that's because I'm no power gamer and prefer a more deliberative game. Playing with the preview betas I've definitely had that experience of being confused and thrown off by lag.

I find in playing against AI opponents I can play more successfully on a higher difficulty setting if I slow the game down. Nevertheless, playing on the higher difficulty levels regardless of speed requires me to be more aggressive and, being the gamer I am, there's a point beyond which that type of play greatly erodes my fun.
                  Rohag's RoN & Etc. Pages

Comment

Hey! Where's "Very Slow"?

Comment

Heck, let's make it TB

Comment

and includes a bottle of prozac to get that ~calm~ feeling.
                        Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Hey, it's a legit question, as that speed is in the game. Sheesh; who cares if it turns into a TBS at very slow. I mean, the game was supposed to be a mixture of RTS and TBS elements, so....

Comment

just set cannon time to a huge number
                            Are you down with ODV?

Comment

For something paced below "slow", we have a "free pause" option. With "free pause" turned on, you can continue to give commands with the game paused.

Comment

Working...
                              X