Textures.pcx probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Textures.pcx probs

Hey, I edited Tecture.pcx (changed the brown to a more yellow brown) in Paintshop Pro. However when the "planes" the squares face one direction, the texture is not displayed, just a bunch of curving lines . . I made sure all the colors are still 8 bit.
    "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

I used Paintshop Pro to change the look of the xenofungus, since I was sick of squinting at the screen to tell if a square was infested with it or not. It's now a blackish-purple, and it stands out wonderfully against all that brown, blue, and green. It looks a lot like mildew. Also, I changed the sea fungus so that little pink and red bits are sticking up out of the water, and it looks even better. I also tried making the arid squares look dryer and dustier, but it didn't look very good. It worked, but the terrain looked unnatural somehow. Now, I'm thinking of changing the green bits instead. I'll tell you how I did it, but if you tried this and it didn't work, don't get mad - I'm just trying to help.

1) Back up the pcx file you want to change.

2) Load palette.pcx into Paintshop Pro.

3) Under the "Colors" menu, click on "Save Palette" and name the palette something like AC.pal.

4) Load the palette you just saved. If you look at the palette in the color selector, many of the colors will appear to be bright pink,like the background color in the old CivII pcx files. Whatever is left over is what you have to work with. Sorry, but the game isn't going to recognize anything else.

4) Load the pcx file you want to change.

5) Use the color replacer function to change any color in the pcx file with any other color in the palette. You might want to use the tool control to lower the tolerance to 1, so that you don't accidentally replace several different shades with your new color. That way, you can make subtle changes in the shade of the terrain without coloring over the whole thing. If you lower the tolerance to 1, it may take you a few tries to match up the right shade of brown (or reddish brown, or teal) with the one in the image. Also, if you like a particular shade that you just added, save the file. Using the "Undo" function will undo ALL of the color replacements since you last saved.

6) Save the pcx file, and test it in the game. I found out the hard way that a lot of things that look great in Paintshop Pro looked horrible in the game.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Yeah, thanks for the help, I'm kinda new to PS Pro, but its a great program and easy to learn.
      "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Working...
      X