MoM: Spell of Mastery turn-off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoM: Spell of Mastery turn-off!

Is there a way to prevent (or disable) the spell of mastery in the game???

It's so frustrating that the game just ends too soon... Maybe an editor or something would do the job. It would really prolong the fun of MoM, IMO!

I'm really surprised to see this complaint. I've played through MOM at least a hundred times, mostly on Hard, and I've had the game end by Spell of Mastery maybe twice. Normally I either lose because my capital got taken out, or win by defeating all the other wizards. When I win, I usually haven't even finished researching Spell of Mastery, much less casting it.
    "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Little
      ...I usually haven't even finished researching Spell of Mastery, much less casting it.
      Ditto.

Figure that for some *years* I had the impression from the manual that researching it alone would have immediately ended the game - that is to say that *years* passed before I had even finished *researching* it once.

So, what's the problem with SoM? Just don't *cast* it, if you don't want it make your game end.
      Or... are all those complaining against SoM implying that it ends the game because they let an *AI wizard* get to cast it???
      I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

I wish that the option to turn off the SOM existed.

Especially when I must take it as a research spell
        and next turn get a spell book or 2 kicking over
        a nasty node.

Still a classic

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz ...must take it as a research spell
          and next turn get a spell book or 2 ...
          Well... THAT could be annoying
          I try to manage my research in order to synchronise it with nodes exploration...
          I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

You can defend yourself against Spell of Mastery by spell-blasting the caster ...
            Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

Originally posted by MariOne

Or... are all those complaining against SoM implying that it ends the game because they let an *AI wizard* get to cast it???
              I've had the AI cast it a few times while I am finishing off the leftover nodes and towers, and am not paying attention to what the wizards I have left alive are doing.

It would be nice to turn it off.

Another problem is that sometimes I start researching it, then find some other spellbooks, which are useless while the spell of mastery is being researched. If there is a way to switch research on a spell, please clue me in.
              "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Been offline for a while. Thanks for the feeback!!!

Haven't checked the links, yet

My concern is the AI casting the spell. And: I'm not 'really' complaining. The game is great! But trying to squeeze out the most of the game, sometimes it would be nice to turn the SoM off, in order to allow for a different twist.

I feel much of the fun part of the game is the idea to battle my opponents, specializing magics and tweaking my odds to counter the AI's armies. Running a large - and tense - campaign could suddenly be totally spoiled by being too far away from the AI capitol when the spell is almost complete. Well, my carefully planned setup is completely wasted and I may be forced to start over!

Turning the SoM off is simply just a different approach to the game ... and a valuable option to the longevity of the game.

Thanks again.

Comment

Having checked the likns above I fear I'm not the one to implement the SoM turn-off...

Surely someone must have done it at some point - - - hacking the exe-file, that is!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubin
                    Having checked the likns above I fear I'm not the one to implement the SoM turn-off...

Surely someone must have done it at some point - - - hacking the exe-file, that is!
                    Yes, hex editing the binary can be a bit much.

I looked over these pages, and didn't see a way to turn off the Spell of Mastery, but maybe I missed it.

There's a thread from the MoM Resouce Center Forums that indicates this can be done. (Link here).

Unfortunately, the Resource Center itself no longer exists. I'm still trying to find the "MOMMY" program mentioned in the thread.
                    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Well, Static23, that WAS a post of mine a long time ago

IIRC I downloaded MOMMY somewhere - might still have a copy of it (I can check further if you're interested - just drop a line). But it wasn't possible to turn the SoM off in MOMMY.

But looking at the hex stuff really gave me a new hope - that it is indeed possible to do. Might be an idea to run a campaign for a skilled programmer to do the hardcoding: put an ad on these pages offering a lot of RESPECT and GRATITUDE to the one who is able to help

Comment

Originally posted by Rubin
                        Well, Static23, that WAS a post of mine a long time ago

That's hilarious! I didn't even look at who the poster was on that other forum. Sorry.

IIRC I downloaded MOMMY somewhere - might still have a copy of it (I can check further if you're interested - just drop a line). But it wasn't possible to turn the SoM off in MOMMY.
                        If you've still got a copy, I'd definitiely be interested in getting it if it's not too big or too much trouble to send. PM me and we can work out the arrangements.

But looking at the hex stuff really gave me a new hope - that it is indeed possible to do. Might be an idea to run a campaign for a skilled programmer to do the hardcoding: put an ad on these pages offering a lot of RESPECT and GRATITUDE to the one who is able to help
                        This is a good idea.

Comment

There was a case that AI Jafar have cast time stop+SoM combo.

Maybe just an urban legend, maybe not. But I think it's possible.

Comment

Possible Great News

More than a year has passed. Now, here it is!

Hex locations in save files containing information on the Spell Of Mastery:
                            Player 1: D20
                            Player 2: 11E8
                            Player 3: 16B0
                            Player 4: 1B78
                            Player 5: 2040

(Note: Player 1 is the human slot.)

The values at these locations can be changed from 03 to 00 (which should make the Spell Of Mastery completely unavailable in the game). I have not yet had the chance to play using these new modifications--but I'll report back once I've done a full test.

I still don't know if the game files (that is, not the savegame files) can be modified to disable the Spell Of Mastery. It sure did take me some time to learn how the game specific data is embedded in the savegame files--let alone using a hex editor.

Comment

Working...
                            X