I just lost.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just lost.....

Situation: Hard Difficulty, 2 Computer players, Small cluster, many medium starlanes.

I started this game with a stock Cynoid empire and quickly scoured the galaxy for habitual planets. Just my luck that I could only find a few green 1 and 2 planets while we made contact with the Tachindi Empire. Relations went bad, because we hate bugs and its up there with glitches and rust, and both empires found themselves in a war. The Tachidi launched frigates at my frontier worlds, and the lone Eagle Attack ship at Bolo failed to prevent the Indirect squadron from bombing Bolo. Bolo is lost and another hostile fleet arrived at Myrinda to blockade the planet. I needed the minerals at that planet and my industry suffered a setback. I designed the Salamander Long Range frigates and built 8 of them over a period of ten turns. Just my luck that the 2 empire had to be the dreaded Harvesters. Again, relations were sour, and I was forced to declare an embargo on them. They responded by sending two Destroyer to attack the Firas colony. They blockaded the planet until the Salamanders arrived, but half the fleet was destroyed and the others are severely damaged. The Tachidi arrived at my homeworld with Carriers and Indirect destroyers but my 6 Falcon class frigates blew them away. This is just on turn 103 butr I could see that I just lost the game because the Tachidi have 13 worlds and the Harvesters have 8 worlds and they just launched a cruiser. Now where did they say that the A.I. fails to attack? They're doing awfully well in destroying whats left of my empire.

Congrats on losing! From what I've been reading that appears to be quite an achievement. I haven't managed to do it myself yet. Personally, I do prefer winning but I'd rather have it with a sense of accomplishment. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Heh...I have been losing, although never stuck around to lose. Just was like 50% behind in tech with fewer planets. Funny, I was having more difficulty on the easy level than the medium, although I do not know if that is because I learned more or the AI played differently. On Medium, I have either held my own or been way ahead overall......

Comment

I had a great game...thirty some planets, a fleet ranging in the 200s, a lot of money...great spies, great tech...

DEFEAT! I lost the stupid senate when someone else one. What I wanna know was...that nation was bigger and better than mine, and I never met them. Damn.

Was kinda funny to see the computer keep auto-building one design of ships...QS should make a patch where you can set what kind of ships are auto-build..like 40% LR, 20% SR...etc etc...
        Veni, vidi, vici.
        [I came, I saw, I conquered].
        -- Gaius Julius Caesar

Comment

Good to hear you guys are losing. Now here is the big question - At any time did the AI invade and take over your worlds with ground forces?

Comment

Did the AI ever invade me? No, they'd have been crazy too...but they never really did attack me much at all.

I lost a couple of times to their defensive forces, but other than that...no enemy ground troops ever hit my soil.
            Veni, vidi, vici.
            -- Gaius Julius Caesar

Comment

Hmm, strange that the A.I., after launching that cruiser, gave me enough time to create five Asp class frigate. The asp blew away the cruiser, missiles and close range fusion beams are very effecitve, but the A.I. seems to be stagnated. Once they get that aggression fix, I'll test it on this game.

Comment

I wish they could add like an aggro slider into game options.

Lots of games do that. Getting attacked a lot can be cool as long as its reasonable...but then again, what exactly is reasonable?
                Veni, vidi, vici.
                -- Gaius Julius Caesar

Comment

Reasonable is backing up the endless blockades with some ground troops, IMHO. Or forming BIGGER FLEETS.

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I just saw some more screens from the polish version (out tommorow, 5th of march) and there was one screenshot of ground combat:

the silicoids (invaders) vs the nommo (defenders) and it clearly said "our terrain preference: water" so the player was the nommo and thus the defender...
                    (and it wasn't multiplayer cause the sillies had a computer generated empire name)

Comment

But if the Player invaded some nommo/trilarian worlds first and his attack force consistet of this Troops?
                      ahh no thats too farfetched ;=)
                      Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Cymrean,

nice analysis there. Only sad that we have to look at screenshots from a unpublished polish version to find any evidence of AI planetary invasions.... ->
                        It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

-Mark Twain

Comment

I think one of the reasons no one posted screen shots of ground combat is that there isn't much to see. Just a spinning globe and some lists.

Comment

I'll be buying the game tommorow and proper analysis will start.

Comment

I just came back from playing this game further and I have a theory of why the A.I. rarely invades. I sent a squadron of destroyers to blockade a Harvester planet but I was shocked to see an armada of frigates and corvettes, 18 total. The bigger shock came when I noticed that my long ranged missiles barely dented the fleet, since they were all equipped with strong sheilds and my destroyers were being pounded by their missiles and 18 fighters. This also explains why the A.I. sends more ships on the easy level because they already built the required number of system ships and now free to build attack ships. I think that the A.I. is hindered by the fast research levels and whenever it gains a new ship tech, it tried to rebuild their fleets to carry this new technology, I would.

P.S. If this is true, I don't want to see a refit patch.

Comment

Working...
                              X