Master of Orion 3 - What went right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master of Orion 3 - What went right?

Well? I've seen enough complaint threads for the first day on the market, how about things that went well for a change?

copycat thread!

i'll let you know when i get into a deep game.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
      copycat thread!
      really?

people are talking about a steep learning curve when they can't have been playing for more than 8 hours yet, and they're already whining they can't figure it out!

RTFM!!!

Comment

Some prefer it to be a bit more intuitive. I don't mind, I love to read the manual and guides.

Comment

I am very impressed with planetary AI.

This is honestly the first game I have played where the "helper" AI helps me far more than it hurts me.

Comment

I don't like the AI... it produces too many troop ships, but perhaps there's a setting somewhere I am not getting right.

That's the only complain I have so far.

I like to do the zoning myself even if the AI tries to... maybe I should stop being such a control freak and let the zoning AI figure things out.

On the other hand, right now I have 4 planets and micromanaging them is not such a big deal and it's even necessary to squeeze as much out of them as I can.

I can see how this can get too busy later on when I am going to have dozens of planets. In that case I will probably let the AI do all the micro work for it.

Still at the beginning of the game but I have to say ... clicking on that "turn" button is ADDICTIVE. I can't stop!!

Someone help me!!

EDITED: by the way I am still at page 44 of the manual still a lot of reading to do
            Administrator - ghostrecon.net

Comment

Blah. I haven't even got to play yet. Just watched a neighbor of mine play for a bit. Its waiting for me at home, but my compiler is the one getting all the damn attention at the moment.

And from what I've heard about moo3 so far, it seems like its competing with my compiler in the category of hair pulling.

Dang you! Work!
              Last edited by Kc7mxo; February 28, 2003, 01:31.
              By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

the numbers have it

Yes MOO is an awesome franchise. And yes there will be many reasons to log many hours with the newest installment. But hey, the "what went wrong" thread is already two full pages and there are only seven posts in this thread. What does that tell us?

I just got this game this afternoon, and am still deep in the learning stage. So I will reserve judgement for now. Though the many complaints I have heard seem to be disturbingly plausible from what I have seen so far.
                "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Safu the thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains - the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

- Piter De Vries, twisted Mentat

Comment

Re: the numbers have it

Originally posted by heretk
                  But hey, the "what went wrong" thread is already two full pages and there are only seven posts in this thread. What does that tell us?
                  that people whine too much too soon?

Comment

Hmm, what went right?

The Planet system is great how its setup, offers much more variation as well as strategy. Its system is much like Stars! 2 for those who played it, down to the sweet spots/gravity/terraforimg. Works pretty well.

Space Combat is also looking good, with only a few ships initially it seems like its just pathetic. But once you get larger ships more ships into the battle, it gets much better. Balancing your TFs also adds new strategy, as I found my Long Range/In Direct TFs get wiped out by missiles, my next set of TFs had smaller ships running point defense and fared much better.

Economy-Once you understand it, you'll realize its quite good. Setting funds/taxes/prioritys isn't all that complicated. Seems like being a race good at trading would be a great advantage, I keep giving my Sakkra bad trading skills though so I can't be sure.

Ground fighting is also lots of fun, you have options to use WMDs, choosing your attack strategy, as well as limiting/not limiting your affects on nearby things like civilian population/structures. I softened up a Erra(Fish people, Itcgsgh or whatever) by mass bombarding earlier, then sent in my exp Infantry and did a multiple-pronged attack with WMDs to wipe em out, they never saw it coming. The reports you get in battle are also quite nice to listen to.

Also the races are varied and the diplomacy is interesting. Its quite funny to see everyone take a stern stance when talking to me, or congratulate me for wiping out a Erra world or two. If you build up a strong allie it seems the will stay that way, being able to use their ships when its a battle involving you is also a great feature.

Theres other things as well, but thats all off the top of my head. Just stopped playing to eat and figured i'd check on here first. Its not as uber-complicated as people claim, and since the AI seems competent I may start letting it managing colonies intially now. But I think its probably best to manage core worlds/worlds you deem important with the AI off. From what I gather its whats cuasing some headaches. Micromanaging it all is possible, but my Empire looks like it could end up encompassing 100 worlds or more, which would be annoying to micro them all.
                    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

I just attacked the New Orions with my scout ship on turn 70. I never saw them, only eighteen blue beams shot out of the darkness and blew the poor little ship to pieces.

Comment

Heh. A mosquito attacking a rhino...

Comment

What went right? Still looking...
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

"people are talking about a steep learning curve when they can't have been playing for more than 8 hours yet, and they're already whining they can't figure it out!"

See, this is the problem. A game should not take 8 hours to learn, unless people are having fun during those 8 hours. Some people may be, but obviously quite a few aren't.

Telling someone their opinion isn't valid because they refuse to do something they don't enjoy for over 8 hours is just silly. I didn't buy a game to work through it to the point where I like it, I bought it to HAVE FUN.

Comment

Originally posted by Yodasplat
                              I don't like the AI... it produces too many troop ships, but perhaps there's a setting somewhere I am not getting right.

That's the only complain I have so far.

I like to do the zoning myself even if the AI tries to... maybe I should stop being such a control freak and let the zoning AI figure things out.

On the other hand, right now I have 4 planets and micromanaging them is not such a big deal and it's even necessary to squeeze as much out of them as I can.

I can see how this can get too busy later on when I am going to have dozens of planets. In that case I will probably let the AI do all the micro work for it.

Still at the beginning of the game but I have to say ... clicking on that "turn" button is ADDICTIVE. I can't stop!!

Someone help me!!

EDITED: by the way I am still at page 44 of the manual still a lot of reading to do
                              Easy troop ship fix. Obsolete them in the Shipyard screen. The AI doesn't build obscelete ships. The obsolete button is my primary way of controlling AI production.

As for zoning yourself... wow, you are dedicated. I let the viceroy do all that. I don't like having to manage every single thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X