Unofficial poll: Should we build Conventional Missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial poll: Should we build Conventional Missiles

As part of the Defence Policy Review and Peacekeeper liberation force build up the question arises should we consider building conventional missiles as part of our arsenal.

Our technological progress is such, that building and stockpiling them may prove to be expensive and unnecessary. Since our air power, we anticipate, will be sufficient to deal with Hive base resistence.

There is also the suggestion we might want to build a PB as a deterrent, but that might just start a missile and PB arms race.

So in the run up to an official poll it is useful to sound out people's views.

There are two polls in one. The first covers Conventional Missiles and the second PBs. The options in each case are: -

Never
    No need
    Not yet
    Yes
    Write in
    Xenobanana

and the same options for Planet Busters (PBs)
    Vote at most once in each section
    Never
    0.00%
    No need
    10.00%
    Not yet
    10.00%
    yes
    20.00%
    write in
    0.00%
    Xenonbanana
    0.00%
    Never
    20.00%
    No need
    10.00%
    Not yet
    10.00%
    Yes
    0.00%
    write in
    0.00%
    Xenobanana
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Absolutly no need for either.
    Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

Herc, did you mean to make the poll multiple choice? it isn't as it stands.

As for the topic... I'd say that conventional missiles are too inefficient for the cost... why bother with a one shot thing when we could have noodles and choppers with similar success rates?

And PB's... I honestly can't believe you would advocate building them, so I figure you just included it in the poll to be democratic... needless to say I think they're an absolutely horrible idea... even having one will put enormous strain on our diplomatic relations with other factions, and actually using one... I may be somewhat insensitive to ecological concerns, but I have enough respect for this planet that I wouldn't do *that* to it.

in short- no to the first because it's not cost effective, no to the second because I think we should avoid PB's like the plague (though we should probably get an orbital defense net going if Yang is approaching PB's).

Comment

Yes it was meant to multiple choice (for two categories- maybe each have to be polled seperately) but it is also my first poll, hence it being unofficial, but peoples comments give the gist of views, which helps interpretation.

Comment

Away back in the game there was a theoretical discussion on the use of PBs- as the weapon of last resort and if the Hive or other faction was about to launch PBs but our intervention with our PB would save the day - and many days. but yes it is there for the sake of democratic polling.

Comment

We need both conventional missiles and continent-killers. Foreigners tend to fear weapons that can blow them away at a range of 2,000 miles.
            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President
              We need both conventional missiles and continent-killers. Foreigners tend to fear weapons that can blow them away at a range of 2,000 miles.
              You mean like Shard Choppers/noodles?

Not that we could match a PB's firepower, but I've already been over the price attached to it.

Comment

Herc, did you or did you not intend to make this poll multiple choice? I will close it if you did.

Comment

I intended that people would vote for one option regarding conventional missiles and then vote for one option regarding Planet Buster missiles. Not quite multi choice but two polls in one thread.

It is probably simpler to poll them seperately. But there is a method of doing the two polls in one. It is not fully explained in the FAQ.

Comment

Do you have to use brackets like 1) to designate options to the first question and then 2) for second question options?.

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
                      Do you have to use brackets like 1) to designate options to the first question and then 2) for second question options?.
                      When you're filling in the options for the poll there's a checkbox towards the bottom for "Multiple Choice Poll" or something like that. Click it

Comment

Yes, that's it. You can't vote for seperate options otherwise.

Comment

going to post a multiple choice version of the poll now, Herc?

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
                            Should we build Conventional Missiles?
                            no. no we should not.

Comment

Yes I would like to post a poll, but question is can I officially do so now at this date.

Comment

Working...
                              X