The damned galley!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The damned galley!

In PTW does the galley always always ALWAYS sink when you take it out to sea? Do I not recall that in Civ3 you could reload and reload and eventually get a safe journey some of the time?

I've had PTW for a while but always found the galley a pain and never bothered (nor had to bother) leaving my continent until about ironclad time.

Now I've moved up to a large map, continents, and the centuries are going by and I've no one to talk with except the backward Zulus to the south of me (I brought them under control early on). I've tried loading and reloading to get a galley out there to find a neighbour but it keeps sinking. Finally had to switch my tech route to pick up astronomy so I could get a caravel going.

Does anyone know that the galley will, for a fact, always sink?

And while we're on it: how do you manage to discover neighbours early on (who are on other continents)? Or do you simply play pangaea?
    Jack

Galleys don't always sink on sea tiles in PTW. If you are playing with preserve random seed on then reloading and doing the same turn again will just produce the same result. You can reload and try again on the next turn and eventually will get through.

I play continents on standard maps with 8 civs and usually can get enough contacts to stay in the game. If not then a dash for the Great Library is the only hope.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

If you load the galley up with units then it will sink because it is heavier.

The more expensive the units the heavier they are and so more likely to sink the galley.

Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

Cerberus is right on. The random seed, assuming you didn't disable it, will "roll" the same result even if you reload the game. Thus, it will appear that the result is 100% certain.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Via an experment a few months ago, I determined that trading with an AI does affect the RNG.

I sent a sucide Galley (empty) that ended turn in a sea tile where it could see one civ. If I made contact with that civ, traded maps, but refused to buy the contact; my galley sank at the end of turn. But if I instead bought the contact to the other AI, my galley stayed afloat!
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

That's murphy law.

But note that it's recursive: Filling up the boat with expensive units to sink the galley on purpose won't work.

Originally posted by TacticalGrace

The more expensive the units the heavier they are and so more likely to sink the galley.

1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

The only galley that sinks is the one that is yours.
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

exact
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Olaf HÃ¥rfagre
                  The only galley that sinks is the one that is yours.
                  True. AI galleys never sink.

Comment

AI galleys don't sink because the never end their turn in an ocean square.

Whether or not you make contact with another civ has nothing to do with your galley sinking.
                    Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Originally posted by ACooper
                      AI galleys don't sink because the never end their turn in an ocean square. ...
                      ... until they have the tech where it is no longer at risk, of course (astronomy (for sea) and navigation or magnetism (for ocean)).

Comment

Well, as for distances where I have to step on sea only once, they doesn't always sink. However on farther ones, they most likely does... Not sure what is the percent of sinking probability is...

Comment

50% of the galleys that end up in sea or ocean will sink.

Of course, what they don't tell you is that the AI gets the 50% that floats, and the human gets the 50% that sinks.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalGrace

badams

Comment

The Galley sinking is OK for me. It happens, the damn thing is not that good anyway. The problem is when the CARAVEL sink. Then it is really, really, REALLY painful, specially when you`re going for that nice island with oil, racing with the AI, and 1 tile away from the sea it does the "crack, fluuuushh" routine.

Very annoying.

Comment

Working...
                              X