The good and bad (US) Presidents of the last 70 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good and bad (US) Presidents of the last 70 years

Post your opinions of the last 12 US presidents. You can use any scale you wish, but make it understandable. Post reasoning if you want. Here they are for those who are European or stupid or Canadian or drunk.

Roosevelt
    Truman
    Eisenhower
    Kennedy
    Johnson
    Nixon
    Ford
    Carter
    Reagan
    Bush I
    Clinton
    Bush II

My grades are out of 10. If someone wants the reasoning behind one of my ratings, I'll post it, but otherwise I'm too lazy.

Roosevelt - 8
    Truman - 7
    Eisenhower - 10
    Kennedy - 7
    Johnson - 7
    Nixon - 2
    Ford - 3
    Carter - 1
    Reagan - 8
    Bush I - 5
    Clinton - 4
    Bush II - 5.5
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

someone rated this 1 star. I guess I offended a Jimmy Carter fan.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Re: The good and bad (US) Presidents of the last 70 years

Too bad you didn't go back to the turn of the century. I'd have given Teddy a 10.

Roosevelt - 9
      Truman - 8
      Eisenhower -7
      Kennedy - 5
      Johnson - 6
      Nixon - 2
      Ford - 4
      Carter - 4
      Reagan - 3
      Bush I - 5
      Clinton - 7
      Bush II - 4

Plus bonus points to Ford & Carter for their honesty.

Comment

Chronologically
        Roosevelt - 3
        Truman - 2
        Eisenhower - 3
        Kennedy - 2
        Johnson - 7
        Nixon - 6
        Ford - 5
        Carter - 4
        Reagan - 1
        Bush I - 2
        Clinton - 5
        Bush II - 1

Highest-Lowest
        Johnson - 7
        Nixon - 6
        Clinton - 5
        Ford - 5
        Carter - 4
        Roosevelt - 3
        Eisenhower - 3
        Truman - 2
        Kennedy - 2
        Bush I - 2
        Bush II - 1
        Reagan - 1
        "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
        You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Roosevelt - 1
          Truman - 1
          Eisenhower - 1
          Kennedy - 1
          Johnson - 1
          Nixon - 1
          Ford - 1
          Carter - 1
          Reagan - 1
          Bush I - 1
          Clinton - 1
          Bush II - 1
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Roosevelt - 9, probably one of the 4 or 5 most important presidencies in American history
            Truman - 5, along with Carter one of the most honest to his beliefs and would be rated higher but that he dropped the second bomb
            Eisenhower - 6, was an important bridge to civil rights
            Kennedy - 5, our Hollywood president made as many mistakes as strong moves
            Johnson - 4, just totally blew it in Vietnam, a politician not a statesman
            Nixon - 6, other than the fact that he was a crook he understood geopolitics and did some good things
            Ford - 4, just average in all respects
            Carter - 3, a poor leader who inspired no one but the weepy eyed, a great man but not presidential timber
            Reagan - 7, Soviet killer, an America hero
            Bush I - 4, its hard to give him a 4, but, worst mistake in our recent history not finishing still another war
            Clinton - 6, one of most able politicians in our history who blew it by not being able to tell the truth about a simple indiscretion
            Bush II - 5, goes to 6 if he stays the course and restores American prestige in the Middle East, hard to rate him in advance

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
              Roosevelt - 1
              Truman - 1
              Eisenhower - 1
              Kennedy - 1
              Johnson - 1
              Nixon - 1
              Ford - 1
              Carter - 1
              Reagan - 1
              Bush I - 1
              Clinton - 1
              Bush II - 1
              c'mon, surely you like some better than others? Even if they're all 'bad'
              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                Eisenhower - 6, was an important bridge to civil rights
                I don't think Dwighty loved the black man as much as the actions of his presidency might lead you to believe...

Comment

Originally posted by orange

I don't think Dwighty loved the black man as much as the actions of his presidency might lead you to believe...
                  and thats why he gets credit

Comment

OK, here's some justifications:

Roosevelt - 1, started tons of wealth transfer programs, massive income taxes, and got us involved in WW2
                    Truman - 1, dropped the atomic bomb, involved us in Korea, tried to nationalize industry for war effort
                    Eisenhower - 1, involved US in various defense agreements around the world, did nothing to prevent Cold War, violated the airspace of the Soviet Union and then lied about it
                    Kennedy - 1, immoral and inconsistent SOB, JFK's immorality and inconsistency resulted in the Cuban Missile Crisis, lied to the American public about a "missile gap", began involvement in Vietnam
                    Johnson - 1, accelerated wealth transfer programs, accelerated involvement in Vietnam
                    Nixon - 1, withdrew recognition of Taiwan in favor of communist China (morally should have recognized both), lied to American public multiple times, insisted on peace with honor instead of just peace
                    Ford - 1, pardoned Nixon, don't know too much else about the guy except that his presidency had no redeeming qualities
                    Carter - 1, see above
                    Reagan - 1, lied multiple times to Congress, started large military buildup, intentionally threatened the Soviets, invaded Grenada, etc.
                    Bush I - 1, involved the US in Gulf War, lied to the US public about taxes, invaded Panama, etc.
                    Clinton - 1, wealth transfer programs, frequent liar, bombed innocent civilians/aspirin factory, etc.
                    Bush II - 1, USA Patriot Act, squandered goodwill after 9/11, ignores will of the people, large defense buildup, intentionally threatening towards Iraq, Iran, North Korea, responsible for John Ashcroft entering the Executive Branch, etc.
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

c'mon, surely you like some better than others? Even if they're all 'bad'
                      Hmmm. Carter was probably the least offensive of the bunch, but that's only relative.

Comment

Roosevelt B+
                        Truman B
                        Eisenhower C
                        Kennedy F
                        Johnson B+
                        Nixon C
                        Ford C-
                        Carter C+
                        Reagan - B-
                        Bush I D
                        Clinton B
                        Bush II D-

And, as a bonus:

King C
                        St. Laurent C+
                        Diefenbaker B-
                        Pearson B+
                        Trudeau B+
                        Turner D
                        Mulroney D
                        Campbell F
                        Chretien C-

Stalin B-
                        Beria/Malenkov etc F
                        Khrushchev B
                        Brezhnev B+
                        Andropov C
                        Chernenko D
                        Gorbachev C+

Thatcher C+
                        Major D
                        Blair C

awww tired of it now
                        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Stalin B-
                          Carter C+
                          Ummmm, I'm curious how you would justify ranking Stalin ABOVE Carter. What are you basing this on? Certainly not inherent goodness, or number of crimes committed, I'm sure.

Comment

Love him or hate him, Stalin made the USSR into a global power. The USSR was nothing when he took power, when he died they were the world's first or 2nd strongest nation.

Killing all those people in the 30s purges lowers his score... but something similar could be said for most of the people on most countries' lists.

Carter didn't do anything bad, but not much good either. Although someone once told me he created more national parks than any president since T. Roosevelt
                            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Oh. My criteria had to do with morality, not effectiveness.

Comment

Working...
                              X