Lombardi: Planning the NCAA pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lombardi: Planning the NCAA pool

Gentlemen: We'll be able to make some changes this year to the structure of the NCAA tournament pool since I've finally found a freeware program worthy enough to try out. The beautiful thing about it is that it automatically creates website files for it - I just have to upload them. Click here to see for yourselves...

Anyway, the things we need to come to an agreement on are these...

-- Points scoring system
    -- Bonus or no bonus

My initial thoughts were these:

I've come up with a points scoring system based on a perfect score of 300 (essentially, if you pick all 64 games correctly, you'd score 300 points without a bonus). This is how it'd break down:

First-round (including play-in game): 2 points
    Second-round: 4 points
    Sweet 16: 9 points
    Elite 8: 12 points
    Final 4: 15 points
    Championship: 20 points

I do also want to include a bonus, but I'm not sure what to do. (Incidentally, does anyone know what the hell the "Fischietto bonus" is?)

Please discuss...
    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

I'm changing my career path to cartoonist.

is just appalling.

In.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ah! MARCH MADNESS!!! I oppose a bonus since this isn't like the NFL where %15-20 of the teams have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl. I figure there are like 3 or 4 teams out of 64 to choose from to win it all. But if you decide on a bonus, make it small.

Comment

*punt*

I'm sure plenty of interested parties have missed this.
        CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
        Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
        Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
        Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

I have to disagree with Berzerker, there are several teams which could win this year. Everyone's preseason favorite, Arizona has dropped games it should have won. I think that 1-8 has a legitimate shot at winning this year.

I want to repeat this year
          Last edited by H Tower; February 19, 2003, 13:53.

Comment

Count me in... but I have to say I agree that a bonus isn't needed. But for totally different reasons.

IMHO, giving 20 points for the championship is bonus enough. I don't see the need to give an additional bonus on top of that. If you want to do that, might as well make the final game worth 100 points and make the rest of your picks meaningless
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I agree, 20 points is bonus enough. Let's make the first round picks mean something.

Count me in.

RAH
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

the championship should be worh more

JonMill
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

go terps

and counmt me in

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

i'm in too, and i prefer no bonus
                    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I'm in; no bonus.

Comment

I'm in.

Bonus for what? Picking upsets? If so, I'm opposed.
                        Old posters never die.
                        They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

He was suggesting a bonus for picking the Champion before the tournament starts.

However, that's exactly what we do when we fill out the brackets in advance, so it seems kind of redundant.

You can always make the last game worth more points...
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

We're picking the whole bracket in advance, not this round-by-round nonsense, where you can make any old off the wall pick and be right back in it the next day, right????
                            Old posters never die.
                            They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Correct, pick the whole tournament before it starts.
                              (at least that's the way it has worked in the past)

I don't want the bonus to be so high that if you don't pick the eventual winner you have no chance. The rest of the pool shouldn't be relegated to tie breaker for all the people that picked one team to win.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X