Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Allies... the Germans

I haven't seen this posted yet...

And a special thanks to uggabugga from FFZ for spotting it.

-----------------------------------
    Feb. 18, 2003
    Germany accused of hiding evidence of smallpox virus arsenals in Iraq
    By CORINNA DA FONSECA-WOLLHEIM

The German government suppressed evidence of small pox virus arsenals in Iraq for months, fearing such news could undermine Chancellor Gerhardt Schroeder's re-election campaign, according to a report in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

Since his reelection in September, Schroeder has intensified his opposition to a war against Iraq.

On Monday, the newspaper printed a report written by senior officials in the Health Ministry last August citing German intelligence reports that batches of small pox virus were stored in Iraq, as well as in North Korea and in non-government laboratories in Russia.

The report called for the immediate purchase of millions of small pox vaccines and presented estimates that as many as 20 million Germans could die in the event of a biological attack. It also warned that "terror groups are attempting to manufacture biological weapons."

The German Health Ministry confirmed the authenticity of the report to the newspaper but said that its "drastic language" and "exaggerated casualty figures" were designed to push for the allocation of funds for more vaccines.

In November, Health Minister Ulla Schmidt cited parts of the report in a session of the Bundestag's budget committee, but omitted any mention of Iraq or of the possible consequences of an attack.

Publication of the report fueled accusations made in recent weeks by opposition parliament members such as conservative Christian Democratic Union Foreign Policy Spokesman Friedbert Pfl ger and Guido Westerwelle, chairman of the liberal Free Democratic Party, that the government is holding back intelligence reports of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.

The German government is currently purchasing 100 million small pox vaccines to top up an existing stock of six million.

In its Tuesday edition, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung ran a cartoon depicting a group of spotty anti-war demonstrators marching in a cloud of black dots
    ------------------------------------

But I guess only Bush would use Iraq for political purposes...
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

He was only trying to save lives from senseless American aggression.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Wow. Politicians lie. Like you don't see THAT headline every day...
      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Ooh, better.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It pails in comparison to the weapons the US gave Iraq. Good article nonetheless.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

WhoooHooooo! You GO Germany!

PS: Doesn't something like that count as a WOMD?

You know, the kind we need proof of them having?
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Hmmmmm.

The French have to be responsible somehow.
              What?

Comment

"Even before the paper hit the stands on Sunday, Schily was working to calm the possible worries the story could cause. In a television interview on Saturday evening, Schily denied that the government was keeping any information about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction secret. In addition, he said the government only had known for a long time that Iraq had experimented with the camel small-pox virus. Such a virus is harmless to humans, a Health Ministry official said.

Ministry responds to story

The Health Ministry later provided an explanation about the document mentioned by the paper itself. It said the information was provided to the Finance Ministry in an effort to gain support for Schmidt's effort to expand the country's vaccine supply. The document was written by medical experts, not intelligence experts, the ministry said. "As a result, any judgment about the risks associated with the small-pox virus is drastic and imprecise," said a ministry spokesman, Klaus Vater."
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

so this means what Boris? spell it out for me and my fellow retards!
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The German government is currently purchasing 100 million small pox vaccines to top up an existing stock of six million
                    Yeah... they really thinks it's "harmless"...
                    In the US, we call stories like that "spin control"...
                    or what to do when you get caught with your pants down...

Keep on Civin'

Comment

Yeah, if it's not clearly ant-american, we don't know whether to believe it or not.
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It just shows that Shcoeder has been dishonest from the beginning.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

While our Euro friends feel justified in questioning Bush's motivation... It's only fair we do the same with our friends across the pond
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ming, your closing statement implies that somebody has actually made the claim?

It should be fairly obvious that the opposition to the war was Schröder's only hope for re-election in 2002. Additionally, Die Grünen would probably have to leave the government in case of German approval or Fischer would have lost face once more, diverging from the fundamental green value of pacifism.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                              While our Euro friends feel justified in questioning Bush's motivation... It's only fair we do the same with our friends across the pond
                              Yeah, it's not as if we don't have enough pissing contests going on across the world
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X