Recommend a good television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a good television

I want to buy a 20 inch set television with high-end connections (S-video and component). For now, the two main contenders are: the Toshiba 20AF42 and the Sony KV20FS100. They're both 20 inch flat tube sets. Also, they both have good reviews. But the Toshiba is a lot cheaper than the Sony. However, some people have complained that:

My one complaint is that the (Toshiba) set gives off an annoying buzz or hum all the time, which isn't as noticeable when the set's speakers are on. I'm trying to figure out whether this is a manufacturer defect and will amend this review when I get a definitive answer.
    I would also like to know if its a manufacturer defect... Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

I'd get something a bit bigger 60" plasmatron is the way forward
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I have only had good experiences with sony. My 21" monitor is sony, and it has been great.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Second-hand! The older the more likely to last long. Honestly!
        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

When I get my next computer I am going to get a 21" monitor. The one that caught my eye was a Sony
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

A good 42" should be enough
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

The only good television set is a dead television set.

For the past six months I estimate I've watched a total of 10 hours of TV. And three weeks ago I scrapped my TV set and canceled my license. Never been happier.

With today's programming, I'm not missing anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                The only good television set is a dead television set.

For the past six months I estimate I've watched a total of 10 hours of TV. And three weeks ago I scrapped my TV set and canceled my license. Never been happier.

With today's programming, I'm not missing anything at all.
                I'm not watching that much TV either. But I like to rent movies. And I like to play games on my Xbox...
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Sony, or Panasonic.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    I'd get something a bit bigger 60" plasmatron is the way forward
                    Drool... If only I had the money and... the space... A 24 inch set could barely fit...

Comment

Go with Panasonic or Toshiba. Sony sets are good too, but you're paying a lot extra for the name (I also find their RIAA/MPAA stance, among other things, offensive enough to boycott them).
                      Any of the three will serve you well, so it'll probably mostly be a question of features and price.

Wraith
                      "Anyone who hates dogs and kids can't be all bad."
                      -- W. C. Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
                        Go with Panasonic or Toshiba. Sony sets are good too, but you're paying a lot extra for the name (I also find their RIAA/MPAA stance, among other things, offensive enough to boycott them).
                        Any of the three will serve you well, so it'll probably mostly be a question of features and price.
                        Basically, I want a good 20 inch set with high-end connections (S-video and/or component). If it weren't for the noise problem, I would buy the Toshiba. Its 100$ (Canadian) less than similar models from Sony or Panasonic. Of course, the noise problem could well be a manufacturer defect. But I'm not sure... The Toshiba also lacks temperature control. I don't know if its a big deal.

Comment

--"Basically, I want a good 20 inch set with high-end connections"

Well, I haven't really researched anything smaller than 32", so I can't help you with specific model numbers. Just some general advice.

Do not buy at Best Buy. They get cut-down models of many televisions. They'll give them the same (or similar) model numbers to the ones you find elsewhere, but have price-cutters like fewer inputs on them.

As far as the Toshiba goes, check it out yourself. Seeing it in person is always a good idea, and you should be able to get some idea of the noise.
                          Do be wary of the picture quality, however. TVs on the dealer's floor are not calibrated for good image quality, and most dealer's rooms don't lend themselves to it anyway.
                          Still, even with a 20" you'll be able to ask for a demonstration. Bring a good DVD with you and see how it looks.

Wraith
                          Nerd Pride. Why do they think "walking encyclopedia" is an insult?

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith

As far as the Toshiba goes, check it out yourself. Seeing it in person is always a good idea, and you should be able to get some idea of the noise.
                            Do be wary of the picture quality, however. TVs on the dealer's floor are not calibrated for good image quality, and most dealer's rooms don't lend themselves to it anyway.
                            Still, even with a 20" you'll be able to ask for a demonstration. Bring a good DVD with you and see how it looks.
                            Thanks for the advice. I saw a Toshiba in person on a dealer's large, crowded and noisy room. I heard nothing. I'll try to check it out at a smaller dealer. Just to make sure.

Comment

Sony makes the best tvs in the world. Go with the Sony.
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X