Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This just in: North Korea to End armistice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This just in: North Korea to End armistice!

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

North Korea has threatened to pull out of the armistice agreement that ended the Korean War, accusing the United States of breaking the terms of the truce
    The statement, carried by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), accused the United States of breaking the truce by bolstering its forces in the region and mounting a naval blockade.

Earlier on Monday, the United States and South Korea announced they would stage joint military exercises in South Korea next month, in a move which was thought likely to heighten tensions with the North.

The two countries have been at loggerheads with each other over the last few months after it was revealed North Korea planned to revive its nuclear programme.

Although the armistice agreement ended the Korean War in 1953, the North and South have never signed a peace treaty.

"The agreement that was signed to provide a peaceful solution to the Korean issue has been systematically ditched by the US and used for the purpose of its hostile policy towards the DPRK [North Korea]," said a Korean People's Army spokesman in the statement.

"If the US side continues violating and misusing the armistice agreement as it pleases, there will be no need for the DPRK to remain bound to the AA [armistice agreement] uncomfortably."

North Korea has already warned the US against any military build-up in the region.

-------------------------------
    This gets scarier and scarier.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

They are insane.

Comment

I think the EU needs to send troops to replace US forces. This guy to the North of the 38th parallel is really crazy and a lot of Americans could end up being killed. It is high time for the Euros to take up some of the burden of policing the world against the insane.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

The scariest thing is it is largly unknown how the Chinese will react when we do start getting serious forces over there.
        "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
        "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
        "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Maybe if the EU was there, then we wouldn't have had Bush shouting his mouth off about North Korea being part of an axis of evil and thus the thawing of relations between North and South Korea could have kept happening.

Hey British troops seem to be used for peackeeping nearly everywhere anyway, why not somewhere else. From recent memory we've kept the peace in Bosnia, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan - sure we'll do South Korea too!

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanK
            The scariest thing is it is largly unknown how the Chinese will react when we do start getting serious forces over there.
            Very true, westerners take it for granted that China won't come to the rescue again, but really, nothing is for certain at this point.
            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanK
              The Chinese have said several times that they want things to be resolved peacefully and there have been growing signs that the Red Chinese are irked off by Kims constinent war talk. Without china to provide economic life support the North would quickly collapse.

That means Kim doesn't get to do anything without China's approval.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel
                Maybe if the EU was there, then we wouldn't have had Bush shouting his mouth off about North Korea being part of an axis of evil and thus the thawing of relations between North and South Korea could have kept happening.

Hey British troops seem to be used for peackeeping nearly everywhere anyway, why not somewhere else. From recent memory we've kept the peace in Bosnia, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan - sure we'll do South Korea too!
                Whatever. However, if the EU had troops on the line who could actually get killed because of its policies, then it may act more responsibly as well.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I still think its bull**** that Japan hasn't built a missle defense because they're afraid of "offending China".
                  "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                  ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Holy f<>ucking ****!

Comment

Oerdin,

there are no signs that China is considering any sactions though

Comment

You can say I'm in denial but I think this is yet more brinkmanship.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

heh, I like the way you sidestep my point as irrelevant.

I remember the different mind sets of peacekeepers in the former Yugoslavia.

The US forces would stay in their base most of the time and when they went out on patrol, they went out armed to the teeth with full armour.

The French troops would patrol with more relaxed level of security but still on the defensive.

The British troops mingled freely with the local population, not wearing helmets or body armour. They didn't patrol in APCs but walked on foot and conversed with the people, and were liked for it. We didn't treat them as the enemy and they appreciated that.

When troops were needed to snatch a war criminal it was British troops who were sent in to do the job or the SAS.

British troops have died doing peacekeeping duties in Kosovo as well as Bosnia, we lost troops in Afghanistan and I'm sure other places too. Don't accuse us of being afraid to risk our lives for what we believe in as we are often one of the first ones into the action and the last to leave. When the cause is right, we're ready to do our duty and you can f*ck right off if you think you can question that

Comment

If the North Korean regime wants to bluff its way to death, then let them try....
                            DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

Demerzel,

Quit thread jacking. This should not be another opportunity to Bash America.

Comment

Working...
                              X