Need the truth:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need the truth:

According to the local papers and news most of the world is now backing a war in Iraq. According to the paper only France, Germany and Belgium among NATO members refuse to support the war. Mind you, this paper identifies Russia as a NATO member!

Because I'm not quite certain about the quality of reporting I'm hearing, I'd like to get the straight poop from 'poly members around the world. What is your nation's governments offical position?
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

If you don't trust the quality of the paper, I'd not believe it. If the NY Post asserted such a thing, I'd believe the opposite.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

IIRC, only Spain, the UK, and one other country supports the US in the Security Council, while the rest of them are against. So that will be a 11-4 if any war resolution comes before the SC.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UK:

Officially: We support the USA and would like a UN backing but would still go ahead if we don't get it.

Unofficially: There is no public support at all for this war. Nearly 1 million people went to london on one of the coldest days of the year to protest against it. The largest protest in British history.
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
          UK:

Officially: We support the USA and would like a UN backing but would still go ahead if we don't get it.
          Hasn't Blair been backing down to go at it alone?
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

From what I hear Belgium refuses to allow NATO to send defensive missiles to Turkey in this stadium. Belgium is not opposed to a war, if the UN sanctions it and if NATO doesn't get involved.
            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
            And notifying the next of kin
            Once again...

Comment

My country has no government

Comment

The population of Turkey is vastly opposed to the war, even though the government is (reluctantly) cowtowing to the U.S. for now.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The news has been pretty subtle, but I've been able to read through the lines and figure out that the US supports the US on the issue of military action against Iraq.
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

The PRC: against
                    Locals: against - an anti-war protest took place yesterday, which is one of the bigger ones we have recently. We also had a 36-hour anti-war music (e.g. Lennon's Imagine) marathon.

Comment

Israel :

More pro than the US.

The people take it as a fact, so almost no one complains.
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Preposterous!

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                        According to the local papers and news most of the world is now backing a war in Iraq. According to the paper only France, Germany and Belgium among NATO members refuse to support the war. Mind you, this paper identifies Russia as a NATO member!
                        But that's just fantastic, Strangelove!

[/Muffley mode]

Comment

eli, is that really something to smile about? the implosion of world diplomacy?
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Italy

Officially the government supports the war.

Unofficially the Italians do not support the war, as we managed to have 3 Milions peace protesters (i was within them) marching in Rome yerstuday, having the biggest manifestation in Europe and matbe the World as well.

Saluti
                            "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
                            The trick is the doing something else."
                            — Leonardo da Vinci
                            "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
                            "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Wine
                              Italy

Officially the government supports the war.

Unofficially the Italians do not support the war, as we managed to have 3 Milions peace protesters (i was within them) marching in Rome yerstuday, having the biggest manifestation in Europe and matbe the World as well.

Saluti
                              Italians! Good food, good wine, good music, good art, and good sense.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X