In-House Preview Online: Part 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-House Preview Online: Part 6

The sixth and final installment in a detailed preview of Master of Orion III is now online. This six-page article, accompanied by nineteen screenshots, is written by Apolyton CS Co-Owner/Administrator Daniel Quick. It is entitled "Let's Call It A Day".

In late December, 2002, an advanced beta copy of [MoO3 arrived in my mailbox. Since then, I have had the opportunity to examine this much-anticipated turn-based strategy title first hand – both inside and outside of the gameplay itself, says Quick. What has been posted today is the last of six installments of this feature. In this final edition, the following items are on a rather full itinerary: the 'Ledger', Leaders, Espionage and planetary information screens.

On behalf of the Apolyton CS staff and administration, I would like to once again thank MoO3 Producer Constantine Hantzopoulos and the rest of the game's team at both Infogrames Interactive and Quicksilver Software for this opportunity. It's been a blast.

This concludes Apolyton's MoO3 preview feature. Comments on this article are welcomed in this thread. Parts 1-5 of this feature are also available for reading and referencing, accessible from ACS' MoO3 homepage.

--------------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

I just read that when you have four leaders, no more show up. I hadn't heard of this before. This same "feature" of moo2 drove me nuts, I'm so happy that its been included.
    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Thank you DanQ!!

I just finished reading the last installment, and I wanted to say a very sincere thank you.

I can only imagine the work that you have put into this preview (on top of your other work). You have produced a comprehensive and insightful view of MOO3. This has only caused me to be even more anxious for its release. You did a great job!

Comment

Thanks for the spy info. It looks really cool. Did you choose your names for them or did they autopopulate?

Comment

Thanks Dan, part 6 is definitly my favourite of the series. Just a quick question though, in screenshots page, is the "Personnel Screen - Leaders" pic suppose to be like that? Or did you mean to take a pic of that?
          This is not The Greatest Signature in the World, no. This is just a tribute.

Comment

re: spies

I am pretty sure it chooses their names.

re: article

I liked this one much better than the last several...

I think there will be many less complaints this time from those who are wont to complain about these preveiws.

The IGMOO forum in particular is much tamer than it has been regarding past articles.

re: only 4 leaders, no more come:

its a minor point isnt it? and you could think of it as adding to the strategy: do you keep all 4, or discard one in hopes someone even better will come along?

Comment

Well it is pretty annoying that you have to dismiss a leader before a new one can come once you have 4. It would have been much nicer if you you could dismiss one after the new one offered.

On the other hand, we should take anything Dan says with a grain of salt. He's given wrong info in the past, and we know he hasn't actualy bothered to play the game much, and has probably never actualy experienced this to begin with.

Comment

Actually, I would assume he had to have played it to get the screenshots. I doubt he was sent them and asked to write an article about his impressions with only screenshots to guide him. And, I've noticed, when he gives incorrect information in his articles he usually corrects it or concedes the point to another.

Comment

well, the reveiw has received a nuetral response over at IGMOO....which means that people actually liked it, but are afraid to say so after all the apolyton bashing following the last couple, so now they are merely not bashing it (They went back to bashing each other instead)

Comment

Originally posted by niteshade6
                    Well it is pretty annoying that you have to dismiss a leader before a new one can come once you have 4. It would have been much nicer if you you could dismiss one after the new one offered.
                    Hmmm, I second your thought on the '4 leader-limit' being a pain in the ...

But as far as I remember in MoO2, it was possible to have leaders propose their help, while having 4 leaders.
                    IMO the limit to leaders is simply set too low...
                    BTW does anyone know whether it is possible to have leaders attached to space-vessel as in MoO2?

Comment

But as far as I remember in MoO2, it was possible to have leaders propose their help, while having 4 leaders.
                      You could have eight total leaders, four for colony and four for ships. If you left one slot open you still had leaders applying for positions but when all eight were filled that was all you got until you let one go.

Comment

IMO the limit to leaders is simply set too low...
                        No, it wasn't. You could have four governors, and four admirals. Once you had four governors, no more governors would offer to work for you. But you'd still get admirals offering until you had four of them as well.
                        By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Okay, this portion of the review was many times easier to read and relayed some useful information.

The screenshots were great too!

Thank you.

PS: How about revisiting the first 5 portions and rewording them a little?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
                            Actually, I would assume he had to have played it to get the screenshots. I doubt he was sent them and asked to write an article about his impressions with only screenshots to guide him.
                            Actually, since all the ship building screenies show lasers and mass drivers he wouldn't have had to play very long to take them.

And, I've noticed, when he gives incorrect information in his articles he usually corrects it or concedes the point to another.
                            He still talks about his made up non player empires in parts 4 and 5....

Comment

He still talks about his made up non player empires in parts 4 and 5....
                              I'll give you that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X