Synthetic Fibers Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic Fibers Bug

Has anyone else experienced this bug and knows of a work-around? I've attached a screen shot of the tech tree.

I'm using PTW 1.14f (US Version).

Bug description: I can't research synthetic fibers because I can't click on it in the tech tree (nothing happens when clicking on it). I can't even steal it from another civ; when I tried to steal it, I was stuck in a loop because the game wouldn't let me continue without choosing a tech from the other civ, but I couldn't choose synthetic fibers and the other civ had no other techs I didn't have. I had to terminate the game using Alt-Ctrl-Del. Also, as you can see on the screen shot, there are some graphical errors. Strange.
    Attached Files

I've never seen this. Try clicking between rocketry and ecology.

I recommend a reinstall.

Comment

It looks like you need to choose Recycling first.
      Seemingly Benign
      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

How much memory are you using?
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I had a similar problem with civ3 when clicking on Banking didn't work. I found I had to click just to one side of where the tech was on the screen. I have since reinstalled (I reformatted my hard drive for unrelated reasons) and the problem has not recurred.
          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I'm using 256 MB of memory, which should be enough. I already tried clicking on almost every single pixel on the tech tree screen (I'm suspecting that the "clickable area" for synthetic fibers is simply misplaced), but to no avail. Recycling is irrelevant, it doesn't matter whether it's researched or not.

Note: I *can* research synthetic fibers if I click on Stealth. It is then put into the research queue before stealth. But that won't help when trying to steal it from another Civ.

Comment

your boxes looked screwed up anyway. did you use a mod?

sometimes the coordinate references don't get calculated properly. i had this in civ3 vanilla when the choice of civ for diplomacy i had to click 3-4 lines further down (sometimes below the dialog box!). i solved it by removing one of the fonts.

in your case i don't know. if you can't even steal it from someone, it can't be the coordinate problem...

why don't you post the save game here?
              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

other solution: nuke the enemy to death and get him with thousands of artillery, tanks and MIs

Comment

I didn't use a mod, it's plain PTW with patch 1.14f installed. Posting the save game won't help, because the bug only appears on my machine. I sent the savegame to somebody else, who loaded it, stole the synthetic fibers advance, saved and sent the savegame back to me. On his machine the bug is non-existent.

Comment

reinstall the game...
                    and watch that you get the right patch (european version for the european game)

Comment

Looks like ur using Civ3 graphics instead of PTW ones. I've had the same problem before. Reinstall everything from scratch, and make sure u install PTW on a different directory, I think, under Civ 3 dir... Or it must just be a patch problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dioync
                        Recycling is irrelevant, it doesn't matter whether it's researched or not.

Note: I *can* research synthetic fibers if I click on Stealth. It is then put into the research queue before stealth. But that won't help when trying to steal it from another Civ.
                        Hey dork, it DOES matter. That's why there is a line going from Recycling to Synthetic Fibers.

Also your graphics problem could be attributed to a pirated version, just a thought.

Comment

You can also get screwed up if you've modded Civ3 (PTW expects a clean Civ3).
                          Seemingly Benign
                          Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Are you sure there isn't a mod at work in your game? IIRC, under standard rules, Recycling is an optional tech and is not required to research Synthetic Fibers.

Originally posted by bigfree1

Originally posted by dioync
                            Recycling is irrelevant, it doesn't matter whether it's researched or not.

Hey dork, it DOES matter. That's why there is a line going from Recycling to Synthetic Fibers.
                            I suspect dioync is referring to the fact that you can select any tech on the tech tree, even one with numerous prerequisites, and the "path" to reach your chosen tech will be highlighted (i.e., dioync can select Stealth and have SynFib highliughted as part of the queue, but can't directly select SynFib).

Catt

Comment

@Catt: Exactly.

And no, I'm not using a pirated version, although I tried to install a No-CD crack for Civ3 (before I got PTW) because I couldn't find my CD at some point. Maybe that's causing the problem, though I can't imagine why this could cause something like this (after all, the No-CD thingy only affects civilization3.exe, which is not needed for PTW, right?). Anyway, I'm just going to reinstall the game. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X