Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future/near Future technologies

Can anybody give a brief description of the theroies behind:

*Thermodynamic Energy and/or Skutterudites?

*Why Plasma is considered a fourth element
    got it thanks

*The process behind making false gems (ie simulated rubies and emeralds) Speculation is allowed on this one, since as far as I know it is an industry secret
    somebody said using explosives, but I saw a high pressure crucible being used in a Nova documentary or something

*How Americium works in a smoke detector
    thank you

*speculation on what dark matter is

*neutrinos, and if they are in any way controllable, capturable, detectable.

90 tons of gallium (2 or 3 years of world production) is used to detect solar neutrinos by the use of the reaction: nu + 71Ga > 71Ge + e-. The rate, although very low (less than 1 interaction per day in 30 tonnes of Ga) makes gallium unique for this purpose. Two experiments are running : - GALLEX using 30 tons in the Gran Sasso underground laboratory (Italy) and SAGE with 60 tons in the Baksan laboratory in Caucasus (Russia).

*laser cooling and the processes involved in bringing material to very near 0 Kelvins

*"sponge" alloys... (are these like the solid/gas solutions, such as the platinum solution used in catalytic converters?) EDIT: Also I just saw a disk on CNN used to absorb hydrogen, and then release it when heated (I assume it's heated)

*permanent magnets..... such as the samarium cobalt magnet

*Fission vs Fusion..... and cold fusion
    got it, thank you

*What "doped" means in chemistry terms

EDIT:
    Also
    What is the theory behind ion engines?

What is a quantum computer?

I took AP Chemistry in High School, but that was 7 years ago, so I am a little rusty... but I can probably follow you if you give a synopsis of what you read in Popular Science..... Thanks.

Thats about it for now.....
    Last edited by NeOmega; February 11, 2003, 20:27.
    Pentagenesis for Civ III
    Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
    Pentagenesis Gallery

Quantum computing would be cool too. My circuit design prof did 1 bonus lecture on it, but I'd like to know more...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Maybe a central mind control system run by Communists? I can only hope.

Comment

Re: Future/near Future technologies

If you are interested in science news, I recommend going to newscientist.com to read about what is happening. sciencedaily.com is also good. For your specific points, a net search will give you better information than we can.

Comment

Originally posted by NeOmega
          *Why Plasma is considered a fourth element
          Not a forth element but the forth state of matter (solid, liquid, gas, plama, etc.)

Certainly they have been detected.

*Fission vs Fusion..... and cold fusion
          Fission is the splitting of very heavy atoms into smaller ones and releasing energy according to the Einsteinian equation E=mc2. Fusion is the merging of very light atoms into heavier ones, releasing energy in the process. Fusion is considered better because it is clean (no nasty radioactive wastes) and has a greater output. It also helps that hydrogen is everywhere and there is no need to go through the hoops just to purify it.

Cold fusion is considered bunk by many.

*What "doped" means in chemistry terms
          Adding impurities. Very useful for semiconductors.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

*The process behind making false gems (ie simulated rubies and emeralds) Speculation is allowed on this one, since as far as I know it is an industry secret
            I don't know about rubies etc, but I know you can make diamonds by using high explosives

You take a tube with graphite powder and put some high explosive compound at each end of the tube. When you detonate it, the high pressure combined with the high temperature squeezes together the carbon atoms to form the tougher diamond configuration. I suppose you can also give them various colors by adding small amounts of impurities, I have no idea what they might be, though.
            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Re: Re: Future/near Future technologies

Originally posted by Richard Bruns
              If you are interested in science news, I recommend going to newscientist.com to read about what is happening. sciencedaily.com is also good. For your specific points, a net search will give you better information than we can.
              thanks I'll check tem out tomorrow... must sleep, need for sleep beating thirst for knowledge.......
              Pentagenesis for Civ III
              Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
              Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

plasma is super-heated gas - if I understand correctly, a state of matter that has both qualities of air and liquid...
                And it's really, really, really hot.
                There are five states of matter, by the way. Urban Ranger forgot about absolute zero matter - when it's so cold that the atoms have stopped vibrating altogether.
                "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                Drake Tungsten
                "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                Albert Speer

Comment

There are many states for matter and more are being discovered. For example, neutron star matter is considered a state, even though it is a degenerate state where the matter is composed entirely of neutrons. Then there is the Bose-Einstein condensate, which is even more exotic.

Plasma is indeed super-heated gas - gas that has been heated to such a state that all atoms become ions.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Am I correct in thinking that Bose-Einstein Condensate is 'officially' considered the Fifth state of matter?
                    19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Not fifth, maybe 8th or something.

Comment

*How Americium works in a smoke detector
                        AFAIR smoke sensors using radioactive materials like Americium consist of the radioactive source emitting particles and a detector (Geiger-Mueller or something like that) for those particles.
                        If there is smoke between the source and the detector, part of the particles is absorbed and the count rate of the detector decreases.
                        But I'm not quite sure about this.

*speculation on what dark matter is
                        Dark matter is any form of matter that doesn't interact with photons and can therefore not be seen by any telescope. Yet dark matter can be detected indirectly by the gravitational force it applies to visible matter like stars and galaxies.

Neutrinos are detectable, but only with a very small likeliness. That's the reason why neutrino-detectors like Super-Kamiokande in Japan are that big: You need a lot of matter in order to compensate for the small likeliness, if you want to see at least some of them.
                        BTW neutrinos are a very promising candidate for cosmic dark matter.

If you want to know more about neutrinos and dark matter, just tell me! I am very interested in those topics.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                          Plasma is indeed super-heated gas - gas that has been heated to such a state that all atoms become ions.
                          It doesn't need to be superheated. In space physics (e.g helio and geo-magnetism) the 'vacuum' of space is considered a plasma. Its nowhere near superheated.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Hey you are recycling your avatars

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              Quantum computing would be cool too. My circuit design prof did 1 bonus lecture on it, but I'd like to know more...
                              Quantum computing is a big steaming pile of crap.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X