X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inter-Site Demogame and our/my involvement

Guys,

There is something I would like to discuss in private with you first. As most of you know, there's an intersite demogame to be started soon (seven teams signed up so far, one of them being Firaxis). Many people including prominent members of other teams in our PtWDG here said that our Poly PtWDG has been intended as sort of a training course for this "Olympic Games in Civilization 3". After thinking it over and over many times, I must admit that it probably is quite right.

I have counted six members of our team being already members of the intersite Poly team. That's great.

Now, the reason why I am writing this... when first reading through various threads in the intersite demogame forum, I thought I would join as an observing member only, to learn from watching real masters playing, and even stated so in the sign-up thread.

However, following the discussions over there for a couple of days, I'm starting to have sort of a bad feeling about how things shape up. It sort of resembles our own situation in the Lego team, when we were starting this game. Many people say they want to join and have fun, but very few actually commit to a real duty - most people say they are RL constrained... The thread asking for potential leaders to step forward has currently only one man to do so unconditionally (Trip) and one more doing it conditionally (nye - on condition there will be three players).

I have come to a conclusion the system we have utilized in Legoland (Chronicle maps & event descriptions, turn-ahead plan proposals, summary tables), even though maybe not readily usable for a 50+ member team, is quite efficient and lots of things we do would be of great benefit even to the Poly team.

Oh, my... it's taking me so much time to get to the merit... well, I though about running for the post of a Consul (there shall be three of them, as it seems, with powers similar to our President - them playing the turns for the Apolyton team), utilizing what we've come up with. This would inevitably mean more time spent on Poly for me and maybe a little bit less time to spend on affairs of Legoland. I hope it would not take too much time, as with so many more people involved in the Poly team, I believe the Consul's job will be primarily to listen what others say and decide upon, play accordingly, and inform about what's happened ingame (maps, summary tables etc.), with much less long term planning and discussion involvement.

Now, the crucial question is: what do you think about me getting involved with the intersite demogame that much? My heart is primarily with Legoland, but I feel very strong about being a member of the great Apolyton community, too. I would like you to tell me - honestly! - what you think about it. I will accept if you tell me "look, we do not really believe you could do both jobs properly at the same time, so better forget the idea and focus on Legoland." No hard feelings, really (I may actually thank you for such words eventually, as they would most probably save me from getting a little bit tight on my RL time schedules). I know I promised to be a good President of this team and I am going to continue being one, fulfilling my duties the best I can. What I am asking you is what your feelings are about if I take upon yet another demanding position.

There is always a very good possibility that others would not like me becoming a Consul, so all this may very well become a moot point in no time. But prior to actually stepping forward and saying "if others agree, I would like to serve as a Consul", I would like to know your opinions on this.

Thanks for reading through.

I already talked to Vondrack about this in the chat, but I figured I might as well post a here. So long as you have the time, Vondrack, I see no reason you can't be a Consul in the Intersite DG.

Comment

Radek, you can do whatever you want to! This is not a paid job, we're doing it for fun and if the other game gives you more (or the same level of) satisfaction and fun like this one, go ahead, be a Consul (if you get the votes, that is )!

I personally, even though I am member of the Intersite team too, don't feel like the intersite game would be more important. I don't know the other sites and for me it is just one more civ game with people involved, thus fun and challenging. Maybe more challenging than this one (with Firaxis involved and other civ freaks from around the world) but also a little bit less fun (for me) because of the large number of people involved from our side. IMHO it is more efficient to work in small groups, while in large groups it is harder to coordinate, to make your voice heard, and so on.

Therefor, unless I'll see that the majority of people will tend to ignore this game and focus on the other one, thus removing the challenge and fun from it, I'll be more involved here than there.

Back to your business Radek, even though I know it is not in the best interest of Legoland, you can count on my vote and support for being a Consul.

"The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
      --George Bernard Shaw
      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
      --Woody Allen

Comment

Good points, Tibi. Very good points, actually. I, too, feel a bit uneasy about working with so many more people. And that is also why I'm in no way quitting my job here, in Legoland. If it comes to choosing between the IS-DG and Legoland, I will quit the IS-DG involvement, that I know for sure. Being in a team with all of you, guys, is just so great. I am really happy how smoothly we are getting along now and I am aware this is unlikely to be the same in the IS-DG Poly team.

OTOH, I expect my involvement in the Poly team be more of an administrative position than a real strategy planning involvement, as is the case with Legoland. I am going to take part in the IS-DG mainly to learn from the famous SP players. But once I am at it, I think I can contribute, too, by organizing things and keeping information flowing. After all, few people can spend so much time hanging around here, being ready to play turns, post screenshots and whatnot, while being actually "at work".

Well, I believe I have heard from most people, so I will go ahead and prepare my post for the IS-DG forum later today or tomorrow. However, I will not do that before finishing the major Chronicle upgrade (first 10 turns already done) and getting rid of all the pending Legoland affairs of state.

Thanks, everybody, for your response.

Comment

Btw, congratulations for your new, fancy star What threads are you planning to top?

Edit: Damn, I should have put this in the other thread, in the "whom to appoint our forum moderator", but maybe it is not so important where it is but what it says
          "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
          --George Bernard Shaw
          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
          --Woody Allen

Comment

Go Vondrack to the IS-DG ! I know you'll do great for the Apolyton team ! (which btw I won't be member of ; I'll be member of the French-speaking team)
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Great Spiffor! That means we'll be more friendly toward your team and we'll kill you last
              --George Bernard Shaw
              --Woody Allen

Comment

Were Builders we don't kill other teams unless they attack us.
                Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
                Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
                President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

OK, since Arnelos made an early call asking for people willing to run for the executive positions in ISDG, I had to change my intended working schedule and prepare my "campaign" post before finishing the Chronicle upgrade (right now at Turn 30).

I am going to work on the Chronicle for the rest of today, hopefully finishing it finally.

Oh, and Spiffor - GOOD LUCK with your French team!

Comment

Thank you
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I posted my "campaign statement" in the IS-DG forum yesterday, getting some pretty positive response. Big thanks to everybody expressing his support for my candidature!

Keep my fingers crossed for me!

Closing the thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X