Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asterix after 'Elite': What does it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asterix after 'Elite': What does it mean?

A chara!

Very late last night, an elite cavalry unit scored a victory thus producing a leader. I got a message: "Rename this victorious unit?" As I said, it was very late, and I was very tired, so I, in a daze, took it as a command and immediately typed in Melvin Bluenote (first thing that came to mind). Now the cavalry unit is listed as 'Melvin Bluenote--Elite*'

The war ended a turn later. Melvin has nothing to do, but if it did, does that asterix mean anything? HPs above and beyond other Elite units? A leader everytime Mel wins an engagement? Make a hit record when I get to the 1960s, thus improving my civ's culture?

Sadly I don't have enough time to spare on PTW, so Apolyton has became my main reference source. When one has questions, one asks those with answers.

Slan-- rmds
    "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

* = You obtained a leader from that unit.

Comment

To be more precise. It means that you got a leader from that unit and you cannot get another leader with that unit prior to it being upgraded. If you upgrade the unit, the asterix goes away and the unit can then generate another leader once it becomes elite again.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Ah! So, since the Bluenotes are cavalry and thus don't upgrade, the unit has reached its apex. I guess its the saxophone and a hit record after all.

Wouldn't it be nice if cavalry would upgrade to some kind of light armor?
        "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

RMDS: I've often wondered what the next step for cavalry should be. I have thought that an upgrade to Armored Cav might be nice. It seems to important a unit to be a dead end. Has anybody experimented with an upgraded Cav unit?
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

plato,
            no, imho the horseman - knight - cavalry path is already a very might one and to let it upgrade would make you not only dominate ancient, medieval and early industrial age, but also later.

other civs with less horses-offense should be able to catch up after cavalry.

it's like if frigates can upgrade all the way to battleships. it just wouldn't balance the game. early leaders would have it even easier to stay strong...

but that's just my opinion
            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

I like the dead end of cavalry, as it makes a nation rebuild it's obsolete military with the advent of armor. Sort of like the real world in the 1900-1939, when military technology changed so fast that those that had the most "obsolete" units from the past didn't nessecarily have the most power.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

We need upgradable cavalry. The methods of tanks early on were very similar to the use of cavalry.
                Whew! I'm back and ready to start writing again.
                Coming soon: Pax America Redux (Including concepts/civs from Conquests)

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                  I like the dead end of cavalry, as it makes a nation rebuild it's obsolete military with the advent of armor. Sort of like the real world in the 1900-1939, when military technology changed so fast that those that had the most "obsolete" units from the past didn't nessecarily have the most power.
                  I've thought for some time that cavalry should upgrade to tanks, then MA, just as spearmen eventually upgrade to Mech Inf. But I think now you are right. Rebuilding an obsolete military is a challenge, and challenge is what makes this game. Thanks, Patroklos.

I still keep cavalry around in the modern era--I find a use for them every now and then.

As to Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes--Elite*, I'll shuffle them off to some quiet corner where they can play the sax and dream of their glory days as a one hit wonder.

Comment

How bout upgrading to light tank or something like an armoured recon vehicle. I'm thinking on something like the M8 or M20 from WW2. Something like 8.8.3
                    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

I decided to allow all the ancient/medieval/early industrial units to upgrade, mostly to get them out of the build list.

I tried cavalry to tank but it makes it too easy to get a massive tank force instantly so I now allow cavalry to MI. Cavalry have a limited use up to that point as they move further than tanks but I usually have few cav left by the start of the modern era.

I upgrade frigates to destroyers and ironclads to battleships. This works well even if I disband rather than upgrade because it gets obselete units off the build list as I want.

I give guerillas 1 move and all terrain as roads so upgrading explorers to guerilla also works and gets rid of another "old" looking unit from the build list.

Everything else either upgrades or I still find it useful. These changes don't fundamentally alter the game, just tidy things up a bit.
                      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

it's a shame you can't set obsolete techs for units in civ3.
                        e.g. you can still build warriors in the early industrial age in far-away locations without iron. before nationalism, it can happen, that your best defensive unit is the spearman, even though musketmen are the state of the art.

imagine a country today doesn't have rubber. i don't think they'd try to build riflemen (note: these are 19th century riflemen) as defence instead of some sort of mechanised infantry...

Comment

oh but they would! if you take a look at nomadic tribes and guerilla forces worldwide, the means they use for defense can sometimes be quite archaic. even cities cut off from supply lines can be forced to rely on some rather unconventional means. i think its a good feature, myself... forces a player to build and maintain his/her supply lines. which, of course, is in line with solid strategic planning.

Comment

Let cavalry upgrade to helicopter...
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by farstryder
                              oh but they would! if you take a look at nomadic tribes and guerilla forces worldwide, the means they use for defense can sometimes be quite archaic. even cities cut off from supply lines can be forced to rely on some rather unconventional means. i think its a good feature, myself... forces a player to build and maintain his/her supply lines. which, of course, is in line with solid strategic planning.
                              yes, but guerillas don't walk around with 19th century rifles. they'll be using WW-II weapons or newer.

Comment

Working...
                              X