In-House Preview Online: Part 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-House Preview Online: Part 4

The fourth of a six-part detailed preview of Master of Orion III is now online. This six-page article, accompanied by sixteen screenshots, is written by Apolyton CS Co-Owner/Administrator Daniel Quick. It is entitled "Something To Be Said For Talk".

In late December, 2002, an advanced beta copy of [MoO3 arrived in my mailbox. Since then, I have had the opportunity to examine this much-anticipated turn-based strategy title first hand – both inside and outside of the gameplay itself, says Quick. What has been posted today is the first of six installments of this feature. In this edition, the talk behind the in-game action is laid out with discussion on the versatile 'Foreign Screen' menu with a return to the 'SitRep' for good measure.

On behalf of the Apolyton CS staff and administration, I would like to thank MoO3 Producer Constantine Hantzopoulos and the rest of the game's team at both Infogrames Interactive and Quicksilver Software for this opportunity.

Part 5 of this ongoing feature will be posted next Thursday barring any unforeseen circumstances. Comments on this article are welcomed in this thread.

-------------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    Last edited by DanQ; January 30, 2003, 15:37.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Hithoru?

What race is this? Non playable race that is not the NO?

hhmmmmm......

Comment

I was very curious about the Orion senate and diplomacy and this preview has satisfied that curiosity.
      ---The Bottom Line---

Comment

Pretty rockin' preview this time. Much quicker pace than other articles. I could ask for more random events, though. To get three, what did you set your frequency to? That sounds fairly low to me.

Comment

Hrett:

Yes, to reaffirm what I said in my preview, the Hithoru is a non-playable race in MoO3.

Calacorm:

Harry Seldon: First, thank you for the kind words. On random events, in my article I referred to Part 2 of the preview where I mentioned what setting I had selected.

-------------
          Dan; Apolyton CS
          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I referred to Part 2 of the preview where I mentioned what setting I had selected
            Reading, it would appear, is fundamental. If only I could get hooked on phonics...

In case anyone cares, it was set to normal.

Comment

Thank you for this one item, my favorite part!!!

I think even my browser choked on that review

Comment

Ok, you must really be a glutton for punishment...after the complaints about the previous previews, you start with:

"You are reading the first sentence of the fourth installment of my ongoing preview of Master of Orion III. You are reading the second sentence... That's enough of this game play - let's turn our focus to more of MoO3's gameplay now that this trite preface out of the way. The same goes for the rhyming..."

Thats just asking for a barrage of criticism right there....

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                  Hrett:

Yes, to reaffirm what I said in my preview, the Hithoru is a non-playable race in MoO3.
                  -------------
                  Dan; Apolyton CS
                  Seems QS still has some suprises up their sleeve. I was under the impression that the only non-playable race that can have an empire (ie not a magnate civ) were the NO. Either I am confused, or this appears not to be the case.

Thanks for the preview Dan. As always, there are more hard facts in your preview than any others. Some of us appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hrett
                    Hithoru?
                    What race is this? Non playable race that is not the NO?
                    They must be one of the magnate races...like the Rhea, Darloks, Phaigour, Bulrathi, etc....

The term "magnate races" was never mentioned in the preview....he uses non-playable races instead. They are very important and extremely beneficial.

edit: no, i think they arent a magnate or an unplayable...see below
                    Last edited by Alexfrog; January 30, 2003, 18:07.

Comment

Ah I see what your getting at, he referred to them getting negative diplomatic relations against them.

Ok, Hithoru is not a magnate race. It is not a non-playable race that gets empires, it is either the name of the leader of a race, or the name of the empire of one of the races.

There is of course the minute chance that Dan is correct, and that the BTs and QS hid this from us this entire time.

However............

I find it overwhelmingly likely that that was the name of one of the empires of one of the playable races.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexfrog
                        Ah I see what your getting at, he referred to them getting negative diplomatic relations against them.

Ok, Hithoru is not a magnate race. It is not a non-playable race that gets empires, it is either the name of the leader of a race, or the name of the empire of one of the races.

There is of course the minute chance that Dan is correct, and that the BTs and QS hid this from us this entire time.

However............

I find it overwhelmingly likely that that was the name of one of the empires of one of the playable races.
                        I suspect this is the case -- Dan did say he only got to play once, so maybe the empire name confused him. But who knows -- Rantz and company have been known to be sneaky.

I guess we will find out soon.

Comment

I may not be a fan of Dan's writing, but those people at IGmoo, are mean. yeesh. they need to get some perspective.
                          By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

bashing the apolyton preveiws has become a sport at IGMOO, I agree they go overboard.

Comment

This review was much, much better than the previous three reviews. I still think the first three were pretty bad but this one was great.

This time around the review (okay, it really is a preview but I'm going to call it a review anyway... so there) discussed some actual game mechanics and gave us a taste of how diplomacy will be played out in the game. I liked that the information regarding diplomacy was presented with direct examples from a game being played rather than just presented in a dull, abstract discussion.

I am hopeful that the next two parts of the review will be as good, if not better.
                              Objects in mirror are insignificant.

Comment

Working...
                              X