Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final Version of SMAX Guide in the works....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on getting published, Vel !

For the guide, be sure to add a section on hurry costs (feel free to e-mail me should you need information), and also on upgrade costs. Very helpful for micromanagement-addicts like me.

Also, expand on the "advanced" section of the datalinks, for things such as ecodamage, inefficiency, etc.

Aredhran

Comment

How/where will one be able to buy the hardcover version?
      The rivers shall run to the sea,
      While shadows shall move across the valleys of mountains,
      While the heavens shall nourish the stars,
      Always shall your honor and your name and your fame endure.

Comment

He's got a good question there. Vel?

Comment

Excellent question indeed! As soon as it's ready to roll off the press (I still can't quite believe I'm actually saying that...WOW), I'll have a link from my website where it can be ordered and drop-shipped out to pretty much anywhere. I'll also have the book's ISBN posted on that page, which is the number that the vast majority of bookstores use to track inventory. So, if you'd rather just head on down to your local bookstore with the ISBN, they can order it for you, have it shipped to the store, and call you when it arrives.

And, I'm duly adding material on advanced datalinks topics and custom units!

-=Vel=-

[This message has been edited by Velociryx (edited January 14, 2001).]
          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Was there a section in 3.0 that explained the scenario editor? The online documentation in AC was horrible...
            [This message has been edited by SMACed (edited January 14, 2001).]

Comment

Hmmm....no there wasn't, but having tinkered with it to set up tests, I can tell you that the documentation and the editor itself are....of about the same quality? That sounds bad, I know, but it's true.....for example: You spend hours making the continents just how you want them, and the first time you go to change elevations...POOF....the whole world floods, wiping out everything you so painstakingly did.....

I've not played with the editor much myself, beyond designing one original map (made all my own landmarks and such....Googlie, did you get a chance to play that map, or no?) and setting up some fairly simple testing scenarios, but I'll see if I can crank out some material on the subject, or at least some things to watch out for when you're in there!

-=Vel=-
              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

To answer, no, I didn't spend much time with the map.

Having spent some considerable time with the scenario and the maps for the Spartan Chronicles and the Turtledove Scenario, I have started on a scenario editor guide - it's my evenings' project for my Febraury and march palm Springs sojourn.

(And I'd love to report that I kept the splinter factions, but like you, they 'died" when I switched PCs)

Googlie

Comment

I had a *very* annoying incident with the scenario editor, when I was creating a custom scenario (5 pod start and all that). Got the map sorted, everything was AOK - two turns in, someone popped a river pod, and the map sunk. Best advice is to use it as minimally as possible, IMO....also, noticed how when you create a blank map none of the factions get their intrinsic bonuses?

However, a scenario editor guide would be worth waiting for, and we know the guy who can do it....
                  We're back!
                  http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

Any chance of getting an autographed copy of the new guide Vel ?

Comment

's okay brother Googlie....I can get to them, it'll just take a bit of time....was thinking about re-vamping them anyway....some cool concepts, but I think now that I understand the inner working of the game better, I can prolly make 'em more balanced and entertaining to play.

And, if you're already hard at work on a scenario editor guide, then I'll leave that section out of mine....you've undoubtedly spent a LOT more time in it than I have in any case, so yours would be much more complete, and in that case, I anxiously await a peek at it!

As to the autographed copy....sure thing! Hey, if "Guardians" is made into a movie or something, I'll just take a little vacation and hand deliver you a copy! And by the way, Red H., you're the first person to have asked that question of me....better watch that.....I could get used to this sorta thing....LOL

-=Vel=-

Comment

Congrats Vel!

Way to go my master! *** deep bow ***

At least the guide gets its final touch-up and gets publised too! Geat! I wish we could say the same for the game... but that's Firaxis not Vel...

Anyway I'd like to second a few comments from above (things I also would like to see):

* Hurry cost section (with special tips about secret project hurry, e.g. hurry crawlers instead and cash them in, it is cheaper, including upgrade tricks of the crawlers before cashing in)
                        * Custom unit design tips
                        * Custom faction design tips
                        * Map and scenario editing

I also wouldn't mind to see a section about 'single player challenges', i.e. list some cool ideas for those, who already learned to beat the artificial idiot easily: zero facility, one city challenge, their combinations, DD's player switch challenge etc.

Just my 2 electrons to the matter...
                        (I'll read the guide through again to see if I can come up with anything else...)

Good to see you back in action Bro! :-)

::Zsozso::

Comment

Brother Zso! 's been a long time indeed since I saw your name gracing the forums! Good to see YOU back in action sir! And I quite agree....as the guide changes and matures, the ideas mentioned here so far definately have a place! My eyes are stinging a little at the moment, not to mention being bloodshot, so I think I'm gonna catch a few z's, but I can say that it's progressing well!

-=Vel=-

Comment

quote:

* Custom faction design tips

Ouch, the faction editor? It'll take quite some time to recover from that....

Comment

Geez, take a break for a little while and all sorts of people pop-up the second you turn your back...

My most heartfelt congrats Vel. Truly well deserved.
                              I would very much like an autographed copy myself. When the bound version is out, if I send you the money to cover purchase and shipping think you could send one my way?

As for last minute suggestions... all I can say is stop working on it. Tinker too much and the document will never make to the publisher. "Let me just add this one little section..." The guide is fantastic and every section is top-notch. None of us want to see you forced to skimp on a new section because deadlines are looming.

Comment

But Kin, this is his "last" guide, why not go for the gold?

Comment

Working...
                                X